Second best JSF

Old July 3rd 04, 06:14 AM
L'acrobat

"Damian Kneale" wrote in message
Once "L'acrobat" inscribed in stone:

No, it has been indicated that they are not allowed to buy the full

version.

That's not quite how I read it. The indications are that they won't
be getting it, not that they can't get it. A very fine but important
distinction.

No, the statement is that they can't get it.

I'm surprised the Labor party hasn't jumped on this, electorally a "we

sent
troops to support them and now we can only get a second rate plane from

our
supposed friends" message might well impact in exactly the area that

Labor
does most poorly, the actual supporters of the Iraq conflict, who tend

be Lib/Nat voters.

It may have something to do with timescales and money. Australia for
example wants the F35 earlier rather than later, with some of the
discussion I've seen being whether it'll even be fully operational and
available in the timescales the RAAF are looking for. That being the
case it may well be (speculation here) that we choose to buy Block 2
because its what will be available when we want airframes. Upgrades
and future additional airframes become the subject of further
negotiation. In the case of Australia, perhaps upgrades, probably at
mid-life rather than incremental.

It has been indicated that Aust can't have the US only version, it isn't a
matter of money or time.

Alternately think M1-A1 tanks. The M1-A2 is available, if you want to
spend the money. The ADF chose the M1-A1 as the "good enough" option
and value for money.

Different issues, we bought second hand and didn't want the top of the line.
we can't have the top of the line JSF.

Old August 12th 04, 07:02 AM
rb

Damian Kneale wrote:
Once "L'acrobat" inscribed in stone:

No, it has been indicated that they are not allowed to buy the full version.

[snip]

Alternately think M1-A1 tanks. The M1-A2 is available, if you want to
spend the money. The ADF chose the M1-A1 as the "good enough" option
and value for money.
[snip]

My take was that the DU component of the M1-A2 would have been too
politically hot for the government to sell to the electorate, what with
an election pending and all. Prolly why DU 120mm and 25mm aren't being
considered either.
rb