I learned about flying from this, too...

Old February 5th 08, 04:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_24_]

Default I learned about flying from this, too...

Larry Dighera wrote in
:

On Tue, 5 Feb 2008 07:31:04 -0800 (PST), Ricky
wrote in
:

Another was just not tieing the plane down.

Right. That can be cause for disallowing an insurance claim in the
event that it causes damage.

Wow, it's like you actually WANT to be the most boring person that ever
lived.

The main reason for tieing an airplane down is because someone lovingly
designed and crafted that airplane and it deserves the respect of it's
driver for that reason alone if there were no other.

Bertie
Old February 5th 08, 05:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Larry Dighera

On Tue, 5 Feb 2008 07:49:29 -0800 (PST), Ricky
wrote in
:

On Feb 5, 9:27*am, Larry Dighera wrote:
I realize you were just a student pilot at the time, but I find it
curious that the word checklist is not mentioned anywhere in your
article. *

A checklist is/was used most of the time, possibly skipped if in a
hurry as I was.

If you consider, that being hurried is a reasonable an excuse for
reducing safety standards, that is your decision (not mine). That's
how an FAA Inspector would view it in the hopefully unlikely event he
was given the opportunity. It's best to consider his point of view
when making decisions, IMHO.

Even now, I find myself not using a checklist sometimes for preflight
once I get to know a plane.

External pre-flight inspection is rather awkward holding a checklist.
Fortunately, it's much the same for all aircraft, with the exception
of equipment unique to a particular aircraft type. There may be 13
fuel system drain points, or a fuel sump drain lever under the right
rear seat, but they all have Pitot systems, controls, engines, wheels,
breaks, ...

For nearly all other phases of operation, I find a checklist useful;
in fact I would feel vulnerable without it. Old-hands will tell you
that the 'flow' method of preflighting is superior, but I find a
written checklist is able to provide specific information that would
be lacking otherwise. A pre-landing GUMPS check is the minimum for
that phase of flight.

You can find a copy of my checklist he
http://freechecklists.net/dl/pa28235checklist.pdf

http://freechecklists.net/

It's easy to get complacent, especially with a small Cessna.

For me, the issues is not so much the size of the aircraft as it is
the height above the ground. :-)

I'd be curious to know how many actually carry around the checklist
outside while preflighting?

Ricky

[rec.aviation.student added]
Old February 5th 08, 05:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Larry Dighera

On Tue, 05 Feb 2008 16:42:20 GMT, "Steve Foley"
wrote in Ml0qj.8467$k%2.2641@trndny09:

"Ricky" wrote in message

In the mid 80s I was in flight training at a part 141 school, Navarro
College, In Corsicana, Texas.

Thanks for the reminders.

I was wondering I would find this on rec.aviation.stories, but I can see by
the comments by the moderator of that group that it would probably not be
approved.

Larry, ever wonder why there are no stories submitted?

I'm sorry Mr. Foley, but your need to make personal implications
paints you the fool. Ricky submitted his story to
rec.aviation.stories: Tue, 5 Feb 2008 07:24:01 -0800 (PST).

What exactly did you find in my comments that lead you to believe I
would reject the article? Try to be specific, so that I might see
what you see. Thanks.

Old February 5th 08, 05:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Ricky

On Feb 5, 10:42*am, "Steve Foley" wrote:
"Ricky" wrote in message

In the mid 80s I was in flight training at a part 141 school, Navarro
College, In Corsicana, Texas.

Thanks for the reminders.

I was wondering I would find this on rec.aviation.stories, but I can see by
the comments by the moderator of that group that it would probably not be
approved.

Larry, ever wonder why there are no stories submitted?

I submitted this to rec.aviation.stories shortly after I put it here
and on the students group as well.
I am not too familiar with moderated groups but I guess if the
moderator sees fit it will show up on there.

Wht did you mean by "thanks for the reminders?"

Ricky
Old February 5th 08, 05:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Bertie the Bunyip[_25_]

Larry Dighera wrote in
:

On Tue, 5 Feb 2008 07:49:29 -0800 (PST), Ricky
wrote in
:

On Feb 5, 9:27*am, Larry Dighera wrote:
I realize you were just a student pilot at the time, but I find it
curious that the word checklist is not mentioned anywhere in your
article. *

A checklist is/was used most of the time, possibly skipped if in a
hurry as I was.

If you consider, that being hurried is a reasonable an excuse for
reducing safety standards, that is your decision (not mine).

For me, the issues is not so much the size of the aircraft as it is
the height above the ground. :-)

You're an idiot. It's official.

Bertie
Old February 5th 08, 06:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Steve Foley

"Ricky" wrote in message

Wht did you mean by "thanks for the reminders?"

Ricky

The reminder being that those little nagging voices in your head are trying
to tell you something.

I've made my share of mistakes, and, like you, have lived to tell about
them.

Old February 5th 08, 06:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Dudley Henriques[_2_]

Larry Dighera wrote:
[...]

There is absolutely no reason why a written checklist has to deviate
from a flow pattern, and indeed, a well written checklist will follow a
flow pattern. If it doesn't, I suggest re-writing it so it does.
I recommend using a written checklist all the time; the exterior
inspection included.

--
Dudley Henriques
Old February 5th 08, 06:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dallas

On Tue, 5 Feb 2008 07:49:29 -0800 (PST), Ricky wrote:

I'd be curious to know how many actually carry around the checklist
outside while preflighting?

I do.

I'm the only guy I've ever seen using one. But, it's not that big of a
deal for me.. I make my own checklist and slide it into a plastic sheet
protector. This makes it something you can tuck into your waistband while
you check the oil etc... not like a big plastic card.

--
Dallas
Old February 5th 08, 07:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting, rec.aviation.student
Ken S. Tucker

On Feb 5, 10:32 am, Dudley Henriques wrote:
Larry Dighera wrote:
[...]

Agreed! Even driving a car I walk around for
tires, clean windows, do seat, mirrors, check
fuel gauge, radio station settings, seat belt and
that's a simple list.

When launching Ballistic Missiles, we have a
Range Officer pump out a tape recording of what
to do in sequence so it's mainly audio with the
check-list in the RO's hands.
We'd have built in holds, where we play Major
Tom, it's very cool.

That's actually a good idea for a simple pilot.
Ken