SR-71

Old September 14th 08, 07:08 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Glenn[_2_]

Default SR-71

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Sr-71 copy.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	207.9 KB
ID:	29311
Old September 15th 08, 12:18 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
HEMI-Powered[_4_]

Glenn added these comments in the current discussion du jour ...

Attachment decoded: Sr-71 copy.jpg

Glenn, is this plane just not painted or is a one-off of some sort?
Also, what are the window-looking things on the right engine
nacelle? They look like passenger windows but that can't be right.
Thanks.

--
HP, aka Jerry

Don't be a fop or a blooter, make only pithy comments on Usenet

Old September 16th 08, 03:13 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
John Szalay

Default SR-71 - 1 attachment

"HEMI-Powered" wrote in news:Xns9B1A4A55032ADReplyScoreID@
216.196.97.136:

Glenn added these comments in the current discussion du jour ...

Attachment decoded: Sr-71 copy.jpg

Glenn, is this plane just not painted or is a one-off of some sort?
Also, what are the window-looking things on the right engine
nacelle? They look like passenger windows but that can't be right.
Thanks.

Its painted, very flat black ( IIRC: its called Ironball Black ).
the lighting conditions indoors is the reason it looks that way.

The "windows" are the engine airflow bypass doors. fore & aft
thier function and controls and controls are detailed in the flight manual.
Page 1-31 thru 1-47

Here is an paragraph taken from the Manual on the bypass function.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	doors.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	43.2 KB
ID:	29352
Old September 16th 08, 03:28 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
HEMI-Powered[_4_]

John Szalay added these comments in the current discussion du
jour ...

Glenn, is this plane just not painted or is a one-off of some
sort? Also, what are the window-looking things on the right
engine nacelle? They look like passenger windows but that
can't be right. Thanks.

Its painted, very flat black ( IIRC: its called Ironball Black
). the lighting conditions indoors is the reason it looks that
way.

Thanks, John. I agree that these openings would be much less
apparent with the black paint.

The "windows" are the engine airflow bypass doors. fore & aft
thier function and controls and controls are detailed in the
flight manual. Page 1-31 thru 1-47

Here is an paragraph taken from the Manual on the bypass
function.

Interesting. I would've thought that the flight manual was still
classified but this makes most interesting reading. I suppose you
knew it was already there or it'd be a daunting task to find it in
what I would think is a thick book.

Old September 17th 08, 06:16 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
John Szalay

"HEMI-Powered" wrote in
Interesting. I would've thought that the flight manual was still
classified but this makes most interesting reading. I suppose you
knew it was already there or it'd be a daunting task to find it in
what I would think is a thick book.

Long story on the manual, but a "sanitised" version is available on CD or
printed copy can be ordered if you want. its also available on-line IF
you have a broadband connection. PDF version 108Meg download..

http://www.netwrx1.com/skunk-works/sr71flt.pdf

IIRC: long version, guy "Borrowed" copy of NASA's DASH1
with a story, and managed to make a copy of it, now hes selling
copies at . (last time I checked anyway) $95.00 apiece.
I didn,t want a hardcopy , takes to long to search for info
so I got a copy offline couples of years ago, for reference.
computer version makes for quick access to facts..
Old September 17th 08, 08:31 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Clive[_3_]

John Szalay wrote :

"HEMI-Powered" wrote in
Interesting. I would've thought that the flight manual was still
classified but this makes most interesting reading. I suppose you
knew it was already there or it'd be a daunting task to find it in
what I would think is a thick book.

Long story on the manual, but a "sanitised" version is available on
CD or printed copy can be ordered if you want. its also available
on-line IF you have a broadband connection. PDF version 108Meg
download..

http://www.netwrx1.com/skunk-works/sr71flt.pdf

IIRC: long version, guy "Borrowed" copy of NASA's DASH1
with a story, and managed to make a copy of it, now hes selling
copies at . (last time I checked anyway) $95.00 apiece.
I didn,t want a hardcopy , takes to long to search for info
so I got a copy offline couples of years ago, for reference.
computer version makes for quick access to facts..

There used to be a page called "Inventing the SR71 engines" or similar, not
there any more.
http://www.airandspacemagazine.com/A...99/oxcart.html
The wayback machine has a partial cache, but no diagrams :-(
Old September 17th 08, 09:52 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
HEMI-Powered[_2_]

[...]

I'll just take your word for this neat story, John! Like I
suspected, the size of the manual is formidable so either you
already knew where to look or they have a damn good index.

I've seen a couple of SR-71's, I'm going way out on a limb here but
I think one was at the Air Force Museum at Wright-Pat and the other
is in the Smithsonian Air & Space Museum. Either/both may be off-
base but I do recall seeing a couple of these very interesting
aircraft that still hold the record for both speed and ceiling for
an air-breathing aircraft, at least what has been de-classified.

You'd know, I imagine, but I've heard that a few of these can be
put back into service reasonably quickly if neither satellites nor
UAV can do a special job. I remember an interesting statistic that
dates back to, I think, the 1980s that claimed that it cost over
$55,000 per hour to fly these beasts.

--
HP, aka Jerry
Old September 18th 08, 03:19 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
John Szalay

"HEMI-Powered" wrote in news:Xns9B1CABA0CD3AFReplyScoreID@
69.16.186.8:
You'd know, I imagine, but I've heard that a few of these can be
put back into service reasonably quickly if neither satellites nor
UAV can do a special job.

Not anymore, the last 2, were given to NASA, and for a while they were
kept for research flights, when the project ended they are kept in flyable
storage, but a short time ago, they too were sent to museums,

the days for the Blackbird, free in the sky are over..
Old September 18th 08, 03:19 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
John Szalay

Default SR-71 - 1 attachment - File 1 of 4 - PARKED2.JPG (1/1)

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PARKED2.JPG
Views:	48
Size:	247.0 KB
ID:	29356
Old September 18th 08, 03:19 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
John Szalay

Default SR-71 - 1 attachment - File 2 of 4 - PMRUNUP.JPG (1/1)

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PMRUNUP.JPG
Views:	43