LanceAir today

Old January 19th 04, 02:26 AM
Jeff

Default LanceAir today

Here at the VGT airport there is a lanceair that has a turbo prop.

I saw this guy take off today and it was impressive!
He climbed almost verticle, first time I seen a plane, outside of a
airforce jet, do that, then when he leveled off, tell you what, that is
a seriously fast planes.

Old January 19th 04, 05:06 AM
BTIZ

Jeff.. he is based there.. I believe his hanger is the first one on the east
end of the row facing the Runway 7/12 intersection. That Lancair is the one
that was rebuilt with the turbine and was featured in the magazine, either
Sport Pilot or KitBuild.. don't remember which.

I believe that this is the same Lancair that had a water cooled auto engine
in it prior to conversion.

Yes.. I'd like to have a Turbine Lancair also..

BT

Old January 19th 04, 02:38 PM
Dennis O'Connor

It's also seriously fast when the engine packs it in, and you have to dead
stick it into the bush...
denny

Old January 19th 04, 04:35 PM
G.R. Patterson III

BTIZ wrote:

Jeff.. he is based there.. I believe his hanger is the first one on the east
end of the row facing the Runway 7/12 intersection. That Lancair is the one
that was rebuilt with the turbine and was featured in the magazine, either
Sport Pilot or KitBuild.. don't remember which.

Sport Aviation

I believe that this is the same Lancair that had a water cooled auto engine
in it prior to conversion.

That's correct.

George Patterson
Great discoveries are not announced with "Eureka!". What's usually said is
"Hummmmm... That's interesting...."
Old January 19th 04, 04:46 PM
Jeff

BTIZ, have you ever saw that thing take off. Its unbelieveable.
that guy has a fast airplane.

I saw it sitting in his hanger when I taxied by, it catches your attention to
see that prop on the front of a lanceair, but to watch him take off. Its an
impressive plane.

Old January 19th 04, 05:05 PM
G.R. Patterson III

Jeff wrote:

lanceairs dont glide very well ?

They have a high stall speed.

Old January 19th 04, 07:19 PM
Dan Luke

Greg Patterson wrote:
They have a high stall speed.

Yep.

IV-P Propjet: 74 mph dirty, according to their web site - pretty brisk
for 4-place, SE prop bird.

That means you'd be pushing 80 mph to leave a bare margin for
maneuvering during an emergency landing. Imagine running off the road at
80 mph in your car. Ouch.

(By comparison though, a Bonanza A36 has a Vso of 64 mph, so putting one
of those down in the bushes must be somewhat thrilling, as well.
http://sq14.cawg.cap.gov/Docs/A36YellowCheckList.pdf )
--
Dan
C172RG at BFM

Old January 19th 04, 10:04 PM
BTIZ

"Jeff" wrote in message
BTIZ, have you ever saw that thing take off. Its unbelieveable.
that guy has a fast airplane.

Yes I have... and yes.. I still want one...

BT

Old January 20th 04, 05:42 AM
Dean Wilkinson

That means you'd be pushing 80 mph to leave a bare margin for
maneuvering during an emergency landing. Imagine running off the road at
80 mph in your car. Ouch.

Unfortunately you are quite correct. I recently worked with three men
who landed a Lancair IV-P on a small paved private strip. On
touchdown the right main got off the pavement and the plane veered
into the trees at 90 mph. Only one of the three was lucky enough to
survive.

High landing speeds carry more kinetic energy. The kinetic energy at
90 mph is 2.25 times greater than at 60 mph.

Dean