Where do posters go?

Old December 3rd 03, 06:12 AM
Paul Sengupta

Well, I stopped posting for the summer when a) I was very busy
in work and b) the weather was nice to go flying! :-)

Paul

"Teacherjh" wrote in message
But it does require interest, and maybe they are just not interested.

It's
like hangar flying. Nice, but I'd rather do the real thing.

Old December 3rd 03, 06:28 AM
Paul Sengupta

I remember the furore and noise increase as "AOLers" started
invading usenet. But the "AOLers" looked like a good common
sense bunch of literate people when the WebTV crowd started
joining. Most of what they posted was barely recognisable as
English.

Paul

"Larry Dighera" wrote in message
While the inundation of usenet by naive users during the surging tide
of AOL subscribers of the mid '90s did contribute to usenet's
diversity, their naivete has reduced usenet's signal to noise ratio
significantly.

IIRC, usenet was originally provided to government contractors for the
dissemination of scientific/contract-related/workgroup-production
information purposes. When the universities provided student access
to usenet, it became a wall for graffiti in addition to becoming a
rich source of information on many diverse subjects. With the advent
of public usenet access, it has become the world's most egalitarian
communications medium; (nearly) all users are afforded the same exact
literacy and a terminal, the entire world's public is granted a voice.

Old December 4th 03, 10:51 PM
Jay Honeck

Bottom line: This is a forum for highly literate people -- which is
extraordinarily rare.

...or Cub Scouts posing as big boys.

...or dogs posing as Cub Scouts.

Or...what the HECK are we talking about?
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old December 4th 03, 11:26 PM
Montblack

("Jay Honeck" wrote)

Bottom line: This is a forum for highly literate people -- which is
extraordinarily rare.

...or Cub Scouts posing as big boys.

...or dogs posing as Cub Scouts.

Or...what the HECK are we talking about?

A: We get to call this one irony, right? You know, since this was Jay's
quote earlier in the thread .... "Bottom line: This is a forum for highly
literate people -- which is extraordinarily rare."

B: Hey guys, what the HECK you talking about? g

C: http://www.unc.edu/depts/jomc/academics/dri/idog.html :-)

--
Montblack
http://lumma.de/mt/archives/bart.gif

Old December 5th 03, 01:30 AM
Mark Kolber

On Sat, 29 Nov 2003 22:50:56 GMT, Greg Esres
wrote:

I don't think it is any indication. There are far more reasons to
stop posting to newsgroups than losing interest in aviation.

Indeed. After all, how many "slips with flaps" and "if I let my
chimpanzee manipulate the controls, can I still log PIC" discussions
can some people stand?

Mark Kolber
APA/Denver, Colorado
www.midlifeflight.com
======================
email? Remove ".no.spam"
Old December 5th 03, 10:56 AM
Dylan Smith

In article , David Dyer-Bennet wrote:
My first usenet post must be sometime in the 80s, through the decwrl
gateway. I had earlier messages to Arpanet mailing lists. And then I
ran a Fidonet BBS for about 10 years (85-95). Online timewasting has
been much of my life :-).

How much fun I had running 2:252/204. Only for a couple of years
(1990/1991) until I went to university and typed 'trn' for the first
time. Of course by the time I went to uni, the normal transport for
Usenet was TCP/IP like it is today (although we had an odd X.25 based
system called JANET, which didn't like TCP/IP because of 'not invented
here' syndrome).

--
Dylan Smith, Castletown, Isle of Man
Flying: http://www.dylansmith.net
Old December 5th 03, 11:02 AM
Dylan Smith

In article , Paul Sengupta wrote:
I remember the furore and noise increase as "AOLers" started
invading usenet. But the "AOLers" looked like a good common
sense bunch of literate people when the WebTV crowd started
joining. Most of what they posted was barely recognisable as
English.

The AOLers joining is commonly referred to "The September That Never
Ended". There was a period where Usenet was becoming unbearable (with a
lot of spam). It seem that (fortunately) the spammers have quit Usenet,
and the NGs I participate in all have a decent S/N ratio.

Old December 5th 03, 08:46 PM
David Dyer-Bennet

Dylan Smith writes:

In article , David Dyer-Bennet wrote:
My first usenet post must be sometime in the 80s, through the decwrl
gateway. I had earlier messages to Arpanet mailing lists. And then I
ran a Fidonet BBS for about 10 years (85-95). Online timewasting has
been much of my life :-).

How much fun I had running 2:252/204. Only for a couple of years
(1990/1991) until I went to university and typed 'trn' for the first
time. Of course by the time I went to uni, the normal transport for
Usenet was TCP/IP like it is today (although we had an odd X.25 based
system called JANET, which didn't like TCP/IP because of 'not invented
here' syndrome).

I ran 1:282/341, and was moderator for the SF and WRITING echoes for
quite a while.

I imported a number of usenet groups and made them available to users;
and of course to myself and my wife.
--
David Dyer-Bennet, , www.dd-b.net/dd-b/
RKBA: noguns-nomoney.com www.dd-b.net/carry/