CBS News Sponsors List

Old January 18th 04, 04:05 AM
Judah

Default CBS News Sponsors List

OK, well, I went through the Tivo recording of the CBS News show with the
"Eye On America" piece that basically said that people who live in
airparks should have to screen their passengers and their luggage before
pulling their planes out of their garages.

Here is the play by play of the advertisers:

Plavix
Hyundai (SUV)
Coricidin HBP
Hidden Valley Ranch Dressing
Detrol LA
================
Lame Story on Presidential Hopefuls
================
Campbell's Select Soups
One Touch Ultra (blood sugar tester)
Fosamax
Centrum
US Telecom Association
Self-Promo (Mad Cow Disease Piece in next Eye on America)
================
Eye on America Story about GA Security
================
Bayer Aspirin
Quaker Oats
Rolaids
Hyundai Santa Fe
CVS/Pharmacy
The Early Show promo
===================
Credits
===================
Walmart
Shame on Your Promo
Totinos Pizza Rolls
The People's Court Promo (isn't this appropriate!)
Dr. Phil (even moreso!)

Old January 18th 04, 06:00 AM
Jordan

On Sun, 18 Jan 2004 04:05:48 GMT, Judah wrote:

[...]

Wow you get alot of drug advertising down there.
Old January 18th 04, 11:52 AM
Cub Driver

Wow you get alot of drug advertising down there.

The big watchers of the evening news are the geriatrics. Lots of
aching joints, constipation, and the like.

I don't know whether this is a reflection on the evening news or
simply that it's the only entertainment on at 6:30 p.m.

all the best -- Dan Ford
email:

see the Warbird's Forum at
www.warbirdforum.com
and the Piper Cub Forum at www.pipercubforum.com
Old January 18th 04, 09:06 AM
Jay Beckman

"Judah" wrote in message
[...]

The People's Court and Dr Phil promos would have been run by your local
station...as they are not network shows.

FWIW...

Jay Beckman
Chandler, AZ
Freelance TV Production Technician
Lurker r.a.p.

Old January 18th 04, 11:50 AM
Cub Driver

On Sun, 18 Jan 2004 04:05:48 GMT, Judah wrote:

Eye on America Story about GA Security
================
Bayer Aspirin

Okay, let's pick on Bayer. You can write, phone, or do an online email
at this url: http://www.bayeraspirin.com/contactus.php

all the best -- Dan Ford
email:

see the Warbird's Forum at
www.warbirdforum.com
and the Piper Cub Forum at www.pipercubforum.com
Old January 19th 04, 03:24 AM
Geoffrey Barnes

Okay, let's pick on Bayer. You can write, phone, or do an online email
at this url: http://www.bayeraspirin.com/contactus.php

What's sad is that while everybody was up in arms about writing to CBS when
the story ran, there seems to be so little response to this thread. As bad
as CBS was on this one, it was their advertisers who supported and funded
the report that ****ed so many of us off.

In any event, here is my response to Bayer.. and I'm working my way down the
list to hit the other advertisers as well.

On Wednesday, 14 January, your corporation advertised one of its products on
the CBS Evening News. In that broadcast, CBS aired an inaccurate and highly
misleading "Eye on America" story concerning the security and safety of this
nation's general aviation airports. As the underwriters of this broadcast,
I hold Bayer responsible for this astonishing lapse in journalistic
integrity. Your corporation is funding a broadcast which has knowingly and
deliberately lied to its viewers, and you should be ashamed of yourselves
for supporting this program.

General aviation is a vibrant industry involving more than 600,000 licensed
pilots in the United States alone. Over 18,000 public-use airports dot the
landscape of our country, and more than 145 million people fly in general
aviation aircraft every year. Well over 200,000 people owe their
livelihoods directly to this key component in our national transportation
infrastructure.

As important as general aviation may be, it remains an industry under
threat. A vocal minority -- due to malice, misconceptions, or their own
political agendas -- are determined close airports, impose costly and
unnecessary regulatory restrictions, and eliminate American's freedom to
take to the sky.

There is nothing wrong with a healthy debate on these topics. The report
aired on the CBS Evening News, however, was not journalism in any sense of
the term, and did
nothing to advance this debate. No contrary opinions were sought by the
reporter, and only one side of the story was presented. Instead of
informing it's viewers, CBS sought only to scare and frighten them.

This is not the sort of enterprise that a company such as Bayer should be
supporting. I hope you will reconsider your decision to advertise your
products on the CBS Evening News.

Old January 19th 04, 04:18 AM
Judah

I think Hyundai is also a good sponsor to write to.

Admittedly, though, I bet a lot of these sponsors buy ad time in blocks (X
# of spots from 5pm-8pm, etc.) and don't even know the specific shows they
sponsored, let alone the editorial content... They run it all by the
numbers (frequency, audience, response rates, etc.), and don't pay that
much attention to the details, since they buy so much air time. In radio,
this is SOP...

But it will be interesting to see if some objections from us do make their
way back to the producers...

Anyway, just my 2 cents for the moment...

"Geoffrey Barnes" wrote in
nk.net:

[...]

your products on the CBS Evening News.

Old January 19th 04, 09:48 AM
Kevin Darling

"Geoffrey Barnes" wrote in message ink.net...
In any event, here is my response to Bayer.. and I'm working my way down the
list to hit the other advertisers as well.
[...]
There is nothing wrong with a healthy debate on these topics. The report
aired on the CBS Evening News, however, was not journalism in any sense of
the term, and did
nothing to advance this debate. No contrary opinions were sought by the
reporter, and only one side of the story was presented. Instead of
informing it's viewers, CBS sought only to scare and frighten them.

Very nicely written letter. Note that should be "its viewers". No
apostrophe.

I wouldn't normally do this, but you have no email address, and an
otherwise excellent response should not have simple spelling mistakes
to spoil it.
Old January 19th 04, 01:11 PM
Geoffrey Barnes

Good catch Kevin!