Stupid Americans! -- Stupid... Stupid... STUPID!!! __________-+__ ihuvpe

Old November 18th 04, 03:30 AM
Bob Chilcoat

Not that particular Monza. The early swing-axle Corvairs were very
squirrelly near the limit, and were very sensitive to proper tire pressure
front to rear. The real problem with the Corvair was that the average buyer
had no clue that it was important it was to keep 35 psi in the back and 15
psi in the front (IIRC). In addition, the high roll center of a
conventional swing axle caused a "jacking" effect that causes the outside
rear tire to tuck under. The sudden change in contact patch geometry causes
an equally sudden increase in slip angle and the car tries to pass itself .
"Hey, there goes a car just like mine!" There were several ways to fix
this. Most were based on a "negative" anti-roll bar. Either a more or less
conventional anti-roll torsion bar but with one end facing forward and other
facing backward so that it had no effect on roll stiffness, but a big effect
on spring rate, or a leaf spring pivoted at the center that did the same
thing. The John Fitch stabilizer was the latter type. I can't remember who
offered the S-bend torsion bar.

Had GM put stiffer shocks on the car, a lot of its problems would have
disappeared, but it was assumed people wanted a soft ride. I found that on
my unmodified '62, by just putting Gabriel adjustable shocks on the rear and
setting them to the stiffest setting, the car became very docile. I could
throw the thing completely sideways (in a parking lot - I'm not completely
crazy) on dry pavement and still catch it and recover. Keeping up with the
five turns lock-to-lock of the steering while doing that was a different
matter, however. Unless one could afford the Fitch shortened steering arms
that sped up the steering (I couldn't) you developed a technique that
involved throwing the wheel in the direction you wanted it to go, letting it
spin freely a couple or so turns, and then catching it again when it got to
the right point. Looked like hell, but you could maneuver the car very
quickly on winding roads if you were so inclined. The '65 Monza (with what
was essentially Corvette rear suspension) I bought later was a completely
different car. Very well controlled. I really wanted a Yenko Stinger, but
ended up with a 356C Porsche instead. Ah, nostalgia...

I don't have to like Bush and Cheney (Or Kerry, for that matter) to love
America

"Ed Sullivan" wrote in message

I had a Corvair Monza and liked it after I installed a sway
bar.Originally it was loosey goosey as hell going straight down the
freeway, but cornered like a champ in the mountains. That's been a
long time. It could have been been that particular Monza or me, who
knows.

Ed Sullivan, the aged

Old November 18th 04, 04:22 AM
Morgans

"Bob Chilcoat" wrote

The early swing-axle Corvairs were very
squirrelly near the limit, and were very sensitive to proper tire pressure
front to rear. The real problem with the Corvair was that the average

buyer
had no clue that it was important it was to keep 35 psi in the back and 15
psi in the front (IIRC). Bob (Chief Pilot, White Knuckle Airways)

I had a '68 110 HP, and loved it. I constantly kept the air pressure
monitored, and had it so the steering was just a bit loose. (oversteer) I
knew of one particular curvy road that I drove often, that NO ONE, in
anything, could keep up with me. What a blast! I wonder what it would have
been like with radial tires!

There is another thread (can't remember if it is here, or the pilot group)
about replacing a pushrod seal. My dad, a mechanical engineer, made a tool,
with an offset round piece on a rod (like a locking telescoping pole) that
could be inserted into the tube, twist it to lock onto the tube, and pull it
out through the head, replace the O-rings, and slide the pushrod tube back
into place. Wa-la, no stinky oil smell in the heater. We did it every year
in the fall, just to keep things nice and clean.
--
Jim in NC

---

Old November 20th 04, 05:45 AM
Ron Webb

You just listed a lot of wars, most of which the French lost, many with a
huge number of casualties.

See http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/text/france.html for a more exhaustive
list.

Did you intend that to show French prowess as warriors, or what?

The French have not Always been cowards, it's just that anyone who didn't
run like hell was killed in WW1 before he could reproduce.

Since then, the French (founder member of NATO) have fought in

WW I
France - 1.3 million troops dead (16% of all it's troops) + 40 thousand
civilians (also see http://www.war1418.com/battleverdun/index.htm)
US 126 thousand troops dead (3% of all it's troops)
Russia 1.7 million troops dead (14% of all it's troops) + 3 million
civilians dead.

WW II (Including fighting the Japanese in Indochina)
France 210 thousand troops dead & 350 thousand civilians dead.
US 292 thousand troops dead & 6 thousand civilians dead
USSR 8.7 million troops dead & 17 million civilians dead.

France has also fought in, kept the peace in, or evacuated civilians

from -

Gulf War I
Afghanistan
Bosnia
Kosovo
Chad
Haiti
Sudan
Ivory Coast
Liberia
Rwanda
East Timor
(DR) Congo
Zaire
Franco-Austrian war
Franco-Prussian war
25 years of various battles in Syria.
Numerous battles in Indochina/SE Asia

Off the top of my head, the only war that I can think of, that France

hasn't
been involved in, is the current cluster-fk in Iraq.

The USA has lost about 800,000-900,000 troops (combat & non-combat) in

it's
entire history. France los about that many in just 5 months of 1916.

France
has paid it's price, fighting for freedom.

P.S. I'm not French.

Old November 20th 04, 02:18 PM
Barnyard BOb -

"Morgans" wrote:

Wa-la, no stinky oil smell in the heater.

==============================

VOILA, more re-enforcement of.....

Stupid Americans!

Stupid... Stupid... STUPID!!!

Barnyard BOb - embarrassed American

Old November 20th 04, 05:44 PM
Morgans

"Barnyard BOb -" wrote VOILA, more re-enforcement
of.....

Stupid Americans!

Stupid... Stupid... STUPID!!!

Barnyard BOb - embarrassed American

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

BoB, Don't you know anything? A voila is a musical instrument! g

Wait for it......

Dejavu, all over again! ;-)
--
Jim in NC

---

Old November 21st 04, 01:31 PM
Barnyard BOb -

BoB, Don't you know anything? A voila is a musical instrument! g

Wait for it......

Dejavu, all over again! ;-)

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Try....

DEJA VU ---

Stupid Americans!

Stupid... Stupid... STUPID!!!

Pssst,
What about.....

vuja de - the distinct impression that some-
thing has never been experienced before.

Barnyard BOb - Internet speeling coach

Old November 21st 04, 04:44 PM
Ron Wanttaja

On Sun, 21 Nov 2004 07:31:37 -0600, Barnyard BOb - wrote:

Pssst,
What about.....

vuja de - the distinct impression that some-
thing has never been experienced before.

.... Or how about "Deja Moo," the feeling that you've heard this bullsh*t
before.... :-)

Ron Wanttaja
Old November 24th 04, 02:45 AM
Doug Carter

"Rufio" wrote in message news:7R6kd.246522$a85.209030@fed1read04...

France has also fought in, kept the peace in, or evacuated civilians from -

The French stayed out of Iraq because their corrupt government
officials were bought and paid for with Iraq "oil for food" money,
*not* because the French people are cowards.