strange

Old February 13th 06, 04:36 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default strange

Feb. 12, 2006, 7:51PM
Small plane crashes into home in Calif., killing at least 2

By DON THOMPSON
Associated Press

ROSEVILLE, Calif. - A single-engine plane that appeared to have been
performing an aerobatic stunt lost control and crashed into a suburban
home today, killing at least two people and sparking a fire that gutted
the house, police said.

The crash left a gaping, smoldering hole in the two-story house it
directly hit and set fire to an adjacent house, damaging the garage and
attic, said Roseville Fire Marshall Dennis Mathisen. One body was
visible in the wreckage.

The Federal Aviation Administration reported two deaths, including the
pilot, and said two people were missing in the home.

T. Sinclair, a deputy sheriff and deputy coroner, said two people were
in the plane. He added that although no one could have survived, the
FAA was not letting emergency officials into the house to retrieve
bodies until Monday.

One resident of the house was missing, but it was unclear whether he
had been in the house at the time, Sinclair said.

The plane - which the FAA identified as a 1996 Glasair II -
appeared to be doing an aerobatic maneuver when it crashed just before
11:30 a.m., Roseville Police spokeswoman Dee Dee Gunther said.

"The pilot appeared to be coming down low for some kind of maneuver
that brought him to within 500 feet of the rooftops," she said. "And
then he appeared to lose control and crashed into one of the houses."

Rick Wurster, who lives about a half mile from the crash, saw the plane
attempting to make a figure eight.

"He couldn't pull up because he didn't have enough altitude," Wurster
said. "I saw him do two spins and then go over the tree line. A second
later, I heard two booms."

The pilot wasn't communicating with air traffic controllers at the time
of the crash, Gunther said.

The National Transportation Safety Board will investigate the crash,
which also set fire to two neighboring homes, said Bruce Nelson, an
operations officer for the FAA in Los Angeles.

"The main house has substantial damage but the other two, their damage
isn't going to be as much," he said.

Roseville is about 16 miles northeast of Sacramento.

Old February 13th 06, 04:44 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Not strange, a violation of the FARs on minimum safe
altitudes, doing acro over a building, buzzing, and probably
a few others.

Anybody want to bet now that the two missing people were in
the airplane?

--
James H. Macklin
ATP,CFI,A&P

some support

ups.com...

Old February 13th 06, 05:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

("Jim Macklin" wrote)
Anybody want to bet now that the two missing people were in the airplane?

What are the odds?

Montblack

Old February 13th 06, 05:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

On 12 Feb 2006 20:36:16 -0800, "houstondan"
wrote in . com::

Feb. 12, 2006, 7:51PM
Small plane crashes into home in Calif., killing at least 2

http://www.kxtv.com/printfullstory.aspx?storyid=15899
A Glasair II S-FT plane crashed into the house at 1302 Longfellow
Circle, near Woodcreek Oaks and Pleasant Grove Boulevard at about
11:30 Sunday morning.

A spokesman at the scene said bodies of two people were discovered in
what appeared to be the cockpit of the plane. There are also reports
that at least one person on the ground may be missing.

Authorities said they contacted the homeowners, who were out of town.
The couple's 18-year-old son remains missing.

From Air10, it appears the crash demolished one entire side of the
house's second floor. There is also extensive fire damage.

Witnesses told News10 the plane was performing barrel maneuvers just
before it crashed. Then they heard an explosion. "We heard the plane
kind of buzzing our backyard area, which it's done before," said
neighbor Kat Kaslin. "And about six seconds later, we heard a huge
explosion and our windows rattled. Our front door was rattling like a
bomb went off."

Multiple fire and police agencies were at the scene until 6 p.m.

Neighbors said they had seen the plane flying in the area before. The
plane took off from Lincoln airport. Investigators have not released
the name of the pilot.

The plane that crashed is Glasair Super II FT built from a kit. The
manufacturer describes it as excellent for a cross-country flight or
"perfecting your barrel roll on a sunny Sunday afternoon," a
description that turned out to be sadly ironic.

There is concern about the aerobatics witnesses saw just before the
crash. Federal aviation rules prohibit aerobatics over populated
areas, and stunts like rolls and loops must be performed above 1,500
feet unless the pilot has a waiver from the FAA
Old February 13th 06, 05:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

On Sun, 12 Feb 2006 22:44:32 -0600, "Jim Macklin"
wrote in
49UHf.79877$QW2.19576@dukeread08::

Anybody want to bet now that the two missing people were in
the airplane?

I'd sooner bet that the owner of the Glassair was an EAA member. :-(

Old February 13th 06, 06:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Larry Dighera wrote:

There is concern about the aerobatics witnesses saw just before the
crash.

The moron was filmed by family members on the ground. Wait a week or
two and I'm sure it will be on the internet.
Old February 13th 06, 07:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Rhetorical question on both parts, just often buzz jobs
start out with, "Hey, want to see you place?"

some support

"Montblack" wrote in
message ...

Old February 14th 06, 02:17 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Jim Macklin wrote:
Rhetorical question on both parts, just often buzz jobs
start out with, "Hey, want to see you place?"

The most stupid stunts in aviation or just about any
endevaour start with "Hey! Watch this!"...
Old February 14th 06, 02:22 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

"Newps" == Newps writes:

Newps The moron was filmed by family members on the ground. Wait
Newps a week or two and I'm sure it will be on the internet.

Wait a month or two and the surviving family and neighbors will sue
the fuel company, EAA, and whoever makes Twinkies saying it was their
fault. Of course their recently departed pilot was perfectly safe;
the Twinkies he had for a snack made him irrational, the fuel was bad
and didn't give enough power, bla bla.
Old February 14th 06, 02:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

by Bob Fry Feb 13, 2006 at 06:22 PM

Wait a month or two and the surviving family and neighbors will sue
the fuel company, EAA, and whoever makes Twinkies saying it was their
fault. Of course their recently departed pilot was perfectly safe;
the Twinkies he had for a snack made him irrational, the fuel was bad
and didn't give enough power, bla bla.

Bla, bla, indeed.

The Sac Bee is reporting the kid in the house is dead.

The a-hole dead pilot's estate should be sued for every penny! And if the
plane was rented, the renter should also be sued.
More of this crap will happen. Its just more tragic when the PPL is just
a jerk getting kicks. The stupid pilot tricks are in the news almost
daily. And its business as usual, with the FAA trying to put more and
more planes up there (the sport pilot ticket, for example).

The laws of probability demand it. More planes flying over more populated
areas. And a fair number of idiots buzzing beaches, houses, getting lost,
running out of gas, etc.

I don't give a crap how much of an expert you are. Your Twinkies comment
is incredibly callous and dumb. Seems a PPL can do no wrong, and
sometimes innocents just have to accept that they can be killed in their
sleep by an a-hole pilot, right??

Strange Vibrations Al Gilson Owning 16 May 13th 05 08:55 PM
Strange Class D boundary??? Roy Smith General Aviation 2 August 30th 04 01:56 PM
Strange engine event Paul Mennen Owning 33 July 9th 04 03:42 AM
Strange one about the 296 kage Piloting 0 June 13th 04 01:42 AM
Really strange going-on with radios Roy Smith General Aviation 3 March 15th 04 12:52 PM