What's your most familiar route?

Old April 13th 04, 08:13 PM
David Brooks

"C J Campbell" wrote in message
I can think of several places out of Tacoma Narrows I could get to without
map or compass -- given good visibility. Hoquiam, Kelso, Port Angeles,

even
Friday Harbor (though I might not be able to find my way back).

Chris, I think you underestimate yourself. We have all those wonderful
crinkly shorelines: Nisqually Reach coming from the south, and Whidbey
shoreline from the north and northwest, are pretty good for orienting
yourself back home. Personally, I might find it harder on the outbound to
Kelso and FHR.

-- David Brooks

Old April 13th 04, 08:38 PM
John Harper

Since when has it been a nation? Doesn't it have much the
same obscure protectorate status as the Channel Islands?
Is it part of the EU?

John

"Dylan Smith" wrote in message
In article EMNec.26772$xn4.47816@attbi_s51, Ben Jackson wrote:
What route do you fly most often or feel most comfortable with? How
far could you wander from your home base without needing a map or even
a compass to find all the cities and airports?

My entire nation.

It's only 30nm long by about 14nm wide, so it's hardly difficult :-)

--
Dylan Smith, Castletown, Isle of Man
Flying: http://www.dylansmith.net

Old April 13th 04, 08:41 PM
John Harper

All of California west of the Sierra Nevada/Banning Pass
and north of (and including) the LA basin, and the southwest
corner of Oregon, roughly speaking. Couldn't name
EVERY airport or one-horse town, but can certainly
find my way around.

John

http://www.ben.com/

Old April 14th 04, 08:00 AM
C J Campbell

"David Brooks" wrote in message
"C J Campbell" wrote in message
I can think of several places out of Tacoma Narrows I could get to

without
map or compass -- given good visibility. Hoquiam, Kelso, Port Angeles,

even
Friday Harbor (though I might not be able to find my way back).

Chris, I think you underestimate yourself. We have all those wonderful
crinkly shorelines: Nisqually Reach coming from the south, and Whidbey
shoreline from the north and northwest, are pretty good for orienting
yourself back home. Personally, I might find it harder on the outbound to
Kelso and FHR.

Yeah, well, I have been lost twice crossing the Strait of Juan de Fuca, both
times due to overconfidence bred of familiarity with the area. It is too
darned easy to start following the wrong coastline.

Old April 14th 04, 11:06 AM
Cub Driver

On Tue, 13 Apr 2004 17:36:10 -0000, Dylan Smith
wrote:

It's only 30nm long by about 14nm wide, so it's hardly difficult :-)

Do you make the circuit to port or starboard

all the best -- Dan Ford
email: (put Cubdriver in subject line)

The Warbird's Forum
www.warbirdforum.com
The Piper Cub Forum www.pipercubforum.com
Viva Bush! blog www.vivabush.org
Old April 14th 04, 06:20 PM
Capt.Doug

"Ben Jackson" wrote in message What route do you fly most often or feel
most comfortable with? How
far could you wander from your home base without needing a map or even
a compass to find all the cities and airports?

A real pilot in these parts navigates by the color of the water. :-)
In my student pilot days, I was riding shotgun in a Twin Beech to the
islands. Just after the gear came up, the captain pulled out an alarm clock,
wound it up, and set it to go off in 3 hours. Then he said to me to keep my
heading and altitude and to wake him up when the clock goes off. Sure
enough, when it went off, there was the island right under the nose.

I used to run a C-402 about 600 miles down island and back every day. Both
ways, I would set the autopilot heading bug just after crossing the shore. I
wouldn't touch it until nearing the destination. Most days, I would be
within 10 miles of centerline.

D.

Old April 14th 04, 08:36 PM
John Galban

"Jay Beckman" wrote in message news:9K%ec.2029$432.87@fed1read01...
"John Galban" wrote in message
om...

I've been regularly flying between Phoenix and Las Cruces, NM for
the past 15 yrs. I can't remember the last time I pulled out a chart
on that trip. It's about 240 nm. It's a lot like driving down to
the corner grocery store.

John Galban=====N4BQ (PA28-180)

John,

What (traditionally) are your checkpoints for this route?

I just go SE to Coolidge to bypass the restricted area east of
Gateway, then it's 090 degrees direct. I pass just north of the peak
on Mt. Graham (10,000+ ft.), Safford (KSAD), Silver City (KSVC) then
Las Cruces (LRU).

John Galban=====N4BQ (PA28-180)
Old April 14th 04, 09:47 PM
Jay Beckman

"John Galban" wrote in message
om...
"Jay Beckman" wrote in message

"John Galban" wrote in message
om...

I've been regularly flying between Phoenix and Las Cruces, NM for
the past 15 yrs. I can't remember the last time I pulled out a chart
on that trip. It's about 240 nm. It's a lot like driving down to
the corner grocery store.

John Galban=====N4BQ (PA28-180)

John,

What (traditionally) are your checkpoints for this route?

I just go SE to Coolidge to bypass the restricted area east of
Gateway, then it's 090 degrees direct. I pass just north of the peak
on Mt. Graham (10,000+ ft.), Safford (KSAD), Silver City (KSVC) then
Las Cruces (LRU).

John Galban=====N4BQ (PA28-180)

Thanks John,

It sounds like a very scenic trip.