What's your most familiar route?

Old April 14th 04, 10:09 PM
Tom Sixkiller

"John Galban" wrote in message
om...

What (traditionally) are your checkpoints for this route?

I just go SE to Coolidge to bypass the restricted area east of
Gateway, then it's 090 degrees direct. I pass just north of the peak
on Mt. Graham (10,000+ ft.), Safford (KSAD), Silver City (KSVC) then
Las Cruces (LRU).

You don't drop down a bit further south to Lordsburg?

Old April 15th 04, 05:42 AM
MikeM

Ben Jackson wrote:

What route do you fly most often or feel most comfortable with? How
far could you wander from your home base without needing a map or even
a compass to find all the cities and airports?

In the 80's and 90's, my elderly parents lived in Grants Pass, Or.
I have flown from SLC to 3S8 about 25 times, a flight of ~500nm,
across NW nevada, which has nothing but wild mustangs.
Several times, I turned off the radios and loran, and just flew
the route navigating by recognizing familar mountain peaks. Cant
miss Pilot Peak, the Rubies near Elko, Mt Shasta, or the big volcano
between Klamath Falls and Medford (Mt McLaughlin).

I routinely fly from SLC to Hall's Crossing at Lake Powell, about
200nm. I have made this trip about a hundred times, and can
do it asleep. Actually, I could fly anywhere in Utah, Wy, Idaho,
Colo, Nv, Az without maps, just point the nose and go.

My pilot wife is from Calgary, AB. We have now made the
trip SLC-HLN-CTB-Lethbridge-HighRiver enough times that
it is becoming routine, too.

Most difficult for me is SLC to OSH, which I have done about
6 times. I can easily get lost anywhere between E. Wy and
Wisconsin...

MikeM
Skylane '1MM
Pacer '00Z
Old April 15th 04, 12:15 PM
Dylan Smith

In article 1081885275.894507@sj-nntpcache-3, John Harper wrote:
Since when has it been a nation? Doesn't it have much the
same obscure protectorate status as the Channel Islands?
Is it part of the EU?

The Isle of Man is neither part of the UK nor part of the EU. It has its
own laws, its own parliament (the longest running democratic parliament
in the world, and the first one to allow women sufferage), its own civil
service, health and immigration policies, vehicle registry and ship
registry (plus talk of an aircraft registry coming some time in the
mysterious future). I travel on an Isle of Man passport, not a UK one.

It's not quite a sovereign state (yes, an obscure crown dependency) but
it's much more of a nation than, say, Scotland. Try telling a Scottish
person that Scotland isn't a nation!

--
Dylan Smith, Castletown, Isle of Man
Flying: http://www.dylansmith.net
Old April 15th 04, 12:23 PM
Dylan Smith

In article m, Richard
Kaplan wrote:
It's only 30nm long by about 14nm wide, so it's hardly difficult :-)

How many airports are there in the nation? How many pilots? Airplanes?

Four airports (one public use, three private): Ronaldsway (where the
airlines go), Jurby, Mount Rule and Andreas (where the glider club is).
The flying club probably has on the order of 50 members. The glider club
has 18. There is also an active hang-gliding/paragliding club which
flies most days in the summer. At Ronaldsway, there is a British Airways
maintenance facility plus probably ~30 GA aircraft (including one or two
unusual types). The glider club currently has 5 servicable gliders plus
a tow-plane (a 1945 Auster 5J1 which has been re-engined with a 160hp
Lyc O-320).

There is an annual airshow (which last year had TWO P-51 Mustangs which
aren't really a common sight here), plus the Schneider Cup air races,
and we're trying to get an annual Reno-style pylon racing event going...

Old April 15th 04, 03:15 PM
Journeyman

In article , C J Campbell wrote:
I can think of several places out of Tacoma Narrows I could get to without
map or compass -- given good visibility. Hoquiam, Kelso, Port Angeles, even
Friday Harbor (though I might not be able to find my way back).

When going to Friday Harbor (FHR) from Boeing Field (BFI), I would just
head north up the sound, along the east side to Paine, then turn NW to
follow the long narrow peninsula that points directly to FHR. Not only
does it make visual navigation easy, but it keeps you closer to land
than you would be taking the direct path.

Pretty much anywhere in the Puget sound area is trival pilotage.
Unfortunately, I never got to practice much DR navigation.

Of course, there was the time I was doing some night practice at
Bremerton (PWT) and decided to go to Tacoma Narrows (TIW), which I
knew from day trips is oh, about thataway from PWT. After about 3
minutes, I was hopelessly lost among the lights, and I didn't want to
blunder into the Seattle Class B airspace (nor the McCord airforce
base for that matter), so I did a 180 back to Bremerton. Then I
looked at the map, estimated the distance and heading, and calculated
an ETE. Worked beautifully.

Morris (currently living on the wrong sound)
Old April 15th 04, 08:43 PM
Blanche

Just about anyplace from Cheyenne, WY to ABQ, NM. No problems. Keep
the mountains on the west side.

As a rule, if I can't see Pikes Peak from the house ('bout 60 sm)
I don't head south. If I can't see Longs Peak (about 40 sm) I
don't head north. And if the thunderboomers-fluffy white clouds
are covering the entire east sky, I change my plans and go
shopping.

Old April 15th 04, 09:28 PM
John Galban

"Tom Sixkiller" wrote in message ...
"John Galban" wrote in message
om...

What (traditionally) are your checkpoints for this route?

I just go SE to Coolidge to bypass the restricted area east of
Gateway, then it's 090 degrees direct. I pass just north of the peak
on Mt. Graham (10,000+ ft.), Safford (KSAD), Silver City (KSVC) then
Las Cruces (LRU).

You don't drop down a bit further south to Lordsburg?

That would be a bit out of the way. The most direct route passes
just south of the Silver City airport. I don't meet I-10 again until
I'm east of Deming.

John Galban=====N4BQ (PA28-180)
Old April 15th 04, 09:30 PM
Tina Marie

In article EMNec.26772$xn4.47816@attbi_s51, Ben Jackson wrote:
What route do you fly most often or feel most comfortable with? How
far could you wander from your home base without needing a map or even
a compass to find all the cities and airports?

I can easily do 50 miles out from Houston without needing a map. In
some directions, 100.

Most often flown route used to be AAP (now closed) - CFD. We were
based at AAP and spent most weekends skydiving at CFD.

Today, it's EYQ-89TA - from home base to the soaring club. I probably
do the round trip an average of 3-4 times a month.

The area I spend most time in would be the area around 89TA. I've got
more then 125 hours towing there, and only once did I take a tow plane
outside of a 5 mile radius of the airport. This makes me so familiar
with the area that one weekend I happened to notice the cows in the
field below me had a few calves I hadn't noticed the week before.

Tina Marie
Old April 16th 04, 10:22 AM
Cub Driver

Just about anyplace from Cheyenne, WY to ABQ, NM. No problems. Keep
the mountains on the west side.

I do much the same thing. Fly north, ocean on right (starboard . Fly
south, ocean on left.

The three most visible things when flying around southeastern New
Hampshire a Boston, Mount Washington, and the concrete runways of
the former Pease Air Force Base.

Plus the Atlantic Ocean and Lake Winnipesaukee, of course.

all the best -- Dan Ford
email: (put Cubdriver in subject line)

The Warbird's Forum
www.warbirdforum.com
The Piper Cub Forum www.pipercubforum.com
Viva Bush! blog www.vivabush.org
Old April 19th 04, 03:39 AM
DP

On Fri, 16 Apr 2004 05:22:13 -0400, Cub Driver
wrote:

Just about anyplace from Cheyenne, WY to ABQ, NM. No problems. Keep
the mountains on the west side.

I do much the same thing. Fly north, ocean on right (starboard . Fly
south, ocean on left.

The three most visible things when flying around southeastern New
Hampshire a Boston, Mount Washington, and the concrete runways of
the former Pease Air Force Base.

What ??? How about Plum Island 2b2? ya know......depart 20 stay
away from the nuke plant....cross the river....viola!

haha
Plus the Atlantic Ocean and Lake Winnipesaukee, of course.

all the best -- Dan Ford
email: (put Cubdriver in subject line)

The Warbird's Forum
www.warbirdforum.com