David Clarke Reviews

Old April 18th 04, 10:54 PM
Teacherjh

My only issue with (DC) ENR is that I get a low frequency warble, probably
due to a poor seal around the earpiece of my glasses.

I had that same problem, give them a call.

What was your solution? I called them, they suggested and sent me (free) the
ear seals that go around the eyeglass earpieces and are supposed to improve the
seal. They did, a bit, but were fussy and I ended up just living with the
warble.

What happened with yours?

Jose

Old April 18th 04, 10:56 PM
Teacherjh

Are you saying you can no longer hear people talking?

Pretty much. I wear them (also) when I'm outside doing noisy stuff (running a
gas mower for example) and the quiet it produces is quite striking. If
somebody talks, whatever sound reaches the inside of the headset is cancelled
out by the ANR and I can barely hear them. It's great!

(of course if they are on an intercom in the plane, I hear them perfectly)

Jose

Old April 18th 04, 11:03 PM
James Robinson

Teacherjh wrote:

There is some question of the value of ENR (Electronic Noise Reduction)
in avoiding future hearing loss. Our company investigated supplying ENR
headsets in a high noise area, but decided not to, since there was no
demonstrated value. In short, ENR only works on lower frequencies, and
those frequencies typically don't affect hearing as much as higher
frequencies.

... and smoking hasn't been proven to cause cancer.

If you put them on, and it seems quieter (vs a non ENR set) then it's probable
that there is less noise entering the ear. This probably leads to less damage
(if we accept the premise that noise at that level causes damage).

Perhaps. The general consensus is that A weighted noise is what causes
hearing damage. That weighting scale drops off below about 1000 hz,
meaning that people don't readily hear low frequency noise. People tend
to feel low frequency noise more than hear it. The ENR systems
typically only work in those low frequency ranges, which is why it is
felt they have limited value in avoiding hearing loss, except in
extremely noisy, low frequency environments.

To put it in perspective, note that a two-bladed prop rotating at 2,000
RPM, will generate a noise frequency that is about four times the
maximum rate that the ENR systems work at.

I find ENR works on the higher frequencies too. I put on my DCs passively and
can still talk to people around me. I flip on the ENR and it's like I've gone
deaf.

It actually doesn't work at higher frequencies. If you read the
specifications for those systems, you will find that they typically
don't attenuate noise above about 500 or at max 1,000 Hz, which are both
low frequencies. The reason is that there is a risk of compounding
noise, instead of attenuating it, as the frequencies increase. What you
are finding with the ENR system is that it reduces the low frequency
noise and allows other sounds to come through more clearly.
Old April 18th 04, 11:05 PM
James Robinson

Stu Gotts wrote:

That's why you should never rely on bean counters when it comes to
safety, security or comfort.

It was actually the medical department that killed the program, not the
bean counters. The financial people would have been delighted if there
was any benefit, since payouts for occupational hearing loss are quite
high.
Old April 18th 04, 11:09 PM
MRQB

If they are easier to damage then there is no sence in buying them but
somthing built with quality.

"Peter" wrote in message

"Paul" wrote

I am after a David Clarke Headset but am not sure which one to buy.

Get a Bose X They are better than any D-C model. Not so good for a
club environment though (easier to damage)

Peter.
E-mail replies to but remove the X and the Y.

Old April 19th 04, 12:32 AM
Stu Gotts

You're right, there is no sense in buying them for a club environment,
but for someone that can appreciate a 1000 headset, they're the cat's
meow.

Remember there are those who have and those who want. Too many times
those that want will satisfy themselves by saying the BOSE are not
that good, not worth the money, their Lightspeeds, et al, are better
but they know the truth. If you can afford them, great. If you can't
there are wonderful alternatives out there.

On Sun, 18 Apr 2004 15:09:30 -0700, "MRQB" wrote:

If they are easier to damage then there is no sence in buying them but
somthing built with quality.

.. .