Hurricane relief

Old September 6th 05, 03:00 AM
George Patterson

Bob Noel wrote:

ah yes, I had forgotten at about that side of the heater.

Thinking about it, though, the heater wouldn't be a real good source during a
flood. They usually are located about as low in the house as you can get one
(sometimes actually in the crawl space) and the drain is on the bottom. If
anything is below flood waters, it'll be the drain on that tank.

George Patterson
Old September 6th 05, 03:05 AM
Bob Noel

In article ,
"Gary Drescher" wrote:

Prohibited alcohol and other drugs are an especially lucrative source of
illegal income.

true.

That they are not the *only* source does not imply that they
don't significantly fuel the rise of violent gangs.

Are you saying that making drugs legal would be a net benefit
to society?

--
Bob Noel
no one likes an educated mule

Old September 6th 05, 03:12 AM
Gary Drescher

"Bob Noel" wrote in message
In article ,
"Gary Drescher" wrote:

Prohibited alcohol and other drugs are an especially lucrative source of
illegal income.

true.

That they are not the *only* source does not imply that they
don't significantly fuel the rise of violent gangs.

Are you saying that making drugs legal would be a net benefit
to society?

Aren't we off-topic enough already without launching *that* debate?

--Gary

Old September 6th 05, 03:54 AM
N93332

"George Patterson" wrote in message
Bob Noel wrote:

ah yes, I had forgotten at about that side of the heater.

Thinking about it, though, the heater wouldn't be a real good source
during a flood. They usually are located about as low in the house as you
can get one (sometimes actually in the crawl space) and the drain is on
the bottom. If anything is below flood waters, it'll be the drain on that
tank.

Why wouldn't the water heater be a good source of uncontaminated water? If
the water supply to the heater is shut off and the faucets aren't turned on,
there should still be clean water in the heater, right? If there is a drain
on the heater, it would normally be closed. There is a pressure release
valve that may release some water from the heater but should be closed also
to keep outside water out. Getting the good water out of the heater may be a
problem since as George says, the drain is usually on the bottom and
possibly below the flood water. Of course if the house is destroyed, might
as well destroy the plumbing to the heater also to get at the good water.

Up here in the north the water heaters are usually in a basement but down
south, they're usually on ground floor in a utility room/closet or in the
garage. If it's in the garage and is a gas water heater, it's raised about
12-18 inches per code, if recently installed or replaced.

No, I'm not a plumber but I've had water heaters replaced or repaired in my
houses in Oklahoma, Texas and Minnesota.

-Greg B.

Old September 6th 05, 04:06 AM
Jay Honeck

Actually, it's not too bad yet. I see my influence hasn't completely
destroyed you . Somehow, you managed to insert that single asterisk. If
you were at my level of total Usenet destruction, ALL the letters would be
there....and in CAPS!!!!

Yes, I did refrain from using the entire "F" word. It was in the original
draft (along with quite a few other things I thought better of, and
deleted), however!

You haven't fully corrupted me yet, Dudley...

;-)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old September 6th 05, 04:09 AM
Jay Honeck

Sadly, I know all of this because I just spent the last 3 days dealing
with my mother-in-law's death, which meant endless hours sitting in hotel
rooms

My deepest condolences, Jay.

Thanks, Saville. Actually (and naturally) it's Mary who is taking it the
hardest.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old September 6th 05, 04:13 AM
George Patterson

N93332 wrote:

Why wouldn't the water heater be a good source of uncontaminated water?

You have to wait until the flood waters go down enough to access it. That's the
only problem. The water in it should be uncontaminated, especially if you had
the presence of mind to turn off the inlet valve or the main water valve.

George Patterson
Old September 6th 05, 04:28 AM
Darrel Toepfer

N93332 wrote:

Why wouldn't the water heater be a good source of uncontaminated water?

Bad stuff settles in low spots, taking from the drain on a ho****er tank
would insure that you got the nastiest stuff it contains...

Typically you want to drain the settlement on an infrequent basis...
Old September 6th 05, 04:30 AM
Dudley Henriques

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
Actually, it's not too bad yet. I see my influence hasn't completely
destroyed you . Somehow, you managed to insert that single asterisk. If
you were at my level of total Usenet destruction, ALL the letters would
be there....and in CAPS!!!!

Yes, I did refrain from using the entire "F" word. It was in the original
draft (along with quite a few other things I thought better of, and
deleted), however!

You haven't fully corrupted me yet, Dudley...

;-)

Thank God! I was afraid it was too late :-)

I'm sorry to learn about your trouble. Please tell Mary that Bea and I are
thinking about her.
Dudley

Old September 6th 05, 04:38 AM
Jay Honeck

I'm sorry to learn about your trouble. Please tell Mary that Bea and I are
thinking about her.

Thanks, Dudley.

Mary's got a great attitude toward life (and death) in general, as did her
mother. She'll stutter step for a few more days, and then be back to
normal, I suspect.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA