Hurricane relief

Old September 6th 05, 09:54 AM
TL

"Jay Honeck" wrote:

This isn't a black issue at all.

"At all"?? Your categorical statement reveals both denial and
ignorance.

In a past career I worked extensively in the inner city -- have you?

LOL! I have known a number of people who have worked in the inner
city. Many of them emerged even more racist than before they went in.
Your experience in the inner city can not be offered up as evidence
against racism, nor can it be offered up as evidence of some special
understanding. You clearly have no special understanding; You see
desperate cries for help and all you hear is "gibberish". As others
have correctly noted, you words reek of racism.

Old September 6th 05, 11:56 AM
Bob Noel

In article ,
"Gary Drescher" wrote:

Are you saying that making drugs legal would be a net benefit
to society?

Aren't we off-topic enough already without launching *that* debate?

way more than enough.

--
Bob Noel
no one likes an educated mule

Old September 6th 05, 01:33 PM
Dudley Henriques

I think you might be reading in racist coupling in Jay's dialog by "reading
triggers" that you personally associate with racist dialog where no racist
connotation or inflection was present.
I'm extremely sensitive to "reading" between the lines on Usenet and I can
find no racist inflection at all in what Jay has said.
Dudley Henriques

Old September 6th 05, 04:55 PM
Doof

"Dudley Henriques" dhenriques@noware .net wrote in message
ink.net...
I think you might be reading in racist coupling in Jay's dialog by "reading
triggers" that you personally associate with racist dialog where no racist
connotation or inflection was present.
I'm extremely sensitive to "reading" between the lines on Usenet and I can
find no racist inflection at all in what Jay has said.
Dudley Henriques

"TL" wrote in message

More like this

http://www.junkscience.com/images/nq050606.gif
http://www.junkscience.com/images/nq050608.gif
http://www.junkscience.com/images/nq050610.gif

Old September 6th 05, 06:42 PM
Dudley Henriques

"TL" wrote in message

More like this

http://www.junkscience.com/images/nq050606.gif
http://www.junkscience.com/images/nq050608.gif
http://www.junkscience.com/images/nq050610.gif

Love this!

Being one of the more "logic oriented" thinkers in this world, and placing
great value on the scientific mind, my probable reaction to looking over the
edge of that cliff would be,
"You know.......I think I'll do some additional research on this gravity
thing before exploring this next data point requiring my leaping off here. I
have a funny feeling that Newton guy back at the lab just might be near a
breakthrough on this.......and besides, my wife wants that solution on
Fermat that I've been working on all week by tonight........or else!!!
:-))))))))))))))))))))))
Dudley Henriques

Old September 6th 05, 08:39 PM
Trent Moorehead

"Matt Whiting" wrote in message
They shouldn't. The sad part of this is that many folks in the media
and politics are claiming that race is playing a role. I find that hard
to believe, but I don't live anywhere near NO so who knows. I don't
think it is at the federal level which is what the claims have mainly
been as Bush clearly did his part even BEFORE the storm hit. I don't
know what else they expected Bush to do without a request from the

governor.

The mayor of New Orleans says the governor of Louisiana hesitated to pull
the trigger on Federal aid for 24 hours.

With all the blame flying around, I am amazed that the state and local
governments have escaped it thus far. It is my opinion that this is where
the majority of the blame should reside, at least in New Orleans.

The folks fanning the racial flames ought to be downright ashamed of
themselves too. They didn't help things one little bit. Hull of a slave ship
indeed. Reverend Jackson is such a uniter and healer. Someone asked him if
he would make the same comment if the refugees were white. I thought that
was funny. I don't remember his response, but it was funny to me because he
wouldn't *be there* if they were white.

It is pretty simple. Huge hurricane + unprepared vulnerable area +
incompetent local government = HUGE disaster. I can't see where race enters
into it. I can see where socio-economic class does though, but the race
issue is a red herrring in this situation.

-Trent
PP-ASEL

Old September 6th 05, 11:37 PM
Dave Stadt

"Trent Moorehead" wrote in message

[...]

Just remember, if there are no more race relations problems Jesse is out of
a job and out of the TV spotlight. He has no incentive to fix anything.
Making things worse suits him just fine. Spend some time in his home town
if you want real insight into his antics. Often those claiming to be the
uniters and healers are at the top of the racist heap.

Old September 7th 05, 02:50 AM
George Patterson

Dave Stadt wrote:

Spend some time in his home town
if you want real insight into his antics.

I lived there for 9 years and that's the way things looked then.

George Patterson
Old September 7th 05, 01:03 PM
TL

"Dudley Henriques" dhenriques@noware .net wrote:

I'm extremely sensitive to "reading" between the lines on Usenet and I can
find no racist inflection at all in what Jay has said.

I would submit, then, that some people here are better at reading
between the lines than you. They have called out Jay elsewhere, and
rightly so in my opinion. But lets examine only the words which
triggered my response.

Jay wrote, "[CNN] has been showing endless video of blacks looting and
shouting gibberish at the cameras, essentially since "Day One." It's
hard to imagine black people being presented in a worse light."
-- End Quote

Quite telling indeed. Racists watched the news coverage and saw
little more than black people looting and "shouting gibberish at the
cameras." Realists, on the other hand, watched the same news coverage
and saw a small percentage of black residents looting while tens of
thousands of law abiding blacks at the convention center made
desperate pleas food and water.

Jay wrote, "It's hard to imagine black people being presented in a
worse light." His, however, is a racist's take not a realist's take.
What the news coverage presented to the realist was a handful of
lawless among a sea of law abiding citizens doing exactly as
instructed under extremely trying circumstances.

Jay watched the news coverage and heard only "gibberish" in the
desperate cries for help. Did FEMA director Michael Brown also hear
only "gibberish"? I would not be surprised.

Old September 7th 05, 02:33 PM
Dudley Henriques

Apparently, in your world, one can not use the word "gibberish" in the same
sentence with the word "black" and not be a racist. That's bull ****!
Quite frankly, I don't really care if you think someone is a racist or not.
That's your opinion and you're entitled to it. If you see a racist
inflection in what someone says, there is very little chance of anyone
changing your mind by disagreeing with you on Usenet.
In other words, think what you like. As an extension of your line of
thinking, I would also be a racist by the simple fact I have objected to
your position.
People like you I just try to avoid :-)
DH