Mylar sheeting as covering

Old November 29th 06, 05:17 PM
Chris Wells Chris Wells is offline
Senior Member

Default Mylar sheeting as covering

Has anyone here any familiarity with using Mylar as a skin, like on some ultralights and hang gliders? What about similar types of plastic sheeting?
Old November 29th 06, 09:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
patrick mitchel

--
Chris Wells

Go to the lazair groups (2 at yahoo groups- I think, one web based) they
used mylar- so did falcon ultralights. There's a lot of stuff at those
groups on mylar and tedlar (trade name for one type)One thing- mylar is
sensitive to uv (sun) degradation and the taped joints need additional
protection against sun (the adhesive used on the double stick tape can also
degrade in sunlight) Pat

Old December 1st 06, 11:40 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Blueskies

"Chris Wells" wrote in message
:
: Has anyone here any familiarity with using Mylar as a skin, like on some
: ultralights and hang gliders? What about similar types of plastic
: sheeting?
:
:
:
:
: --
: Chris Wells

Someone once covered a Decathlon with Monokote, the stuff RC modelers use for their planes

Old December 1st 06, 09:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Morgans[_2_]

"Blueskies" wrote

Someone once covered a Decathlon with Monokote, the stuff RC modelers use for
their planes

Wow! That would be really expensive! Not to mention the narrow rolls, unless
he made a deal to buy wider, longer rolls.

I also wonder if it was a problem with it stretching when it is out in the hot
sun for a long time, like models sometimes have happen.

It is tough stuff, and easy to apply, and no finishing. It still wouldn't be
worth it, to me.
--
Jim in NC

Old December 1st 06, 11:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
dennis brown

Remember Negligee? A cub covered with transparent covering. It wasn't
Monokote.
As I recall around that time, there was an approval given where Monokote
could be used as a
substitute for paint. Used over Ceconite as I remember. Could be wrong -
that was probably 30+
years ago, not long after the introduction of Monokote. Dennis

"Blueskies" wrote

Old December 2nd 06, 04:10 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Hugh Prescott

Blueskies wrote:
"Chris Wells" wrote in message
:
: Has anyone here any familiarity with using Mylar as a skin, like on some
: ultralights and hang gliders? What about similar types of plastic
: sheeting?
:
:
:
:
: --
: Chris Wells

Someone once covered a Decathlon with Monokote, the stuff RC modelers use for their planes

Brave guy

The two RC planes I used Monokote on several years ago both had the
Monokote fail in the air.

The film on the wings appeared to just shatter and come off in small
pieces. Several others have had the same experience locally.

The aerodynamic properties of the wing changed quickly.

Switched to Ultracote, a German product, and never looked back.
Ultracote is a polyelethene film where as Monokote is a mylar.

Hugh

Mylar Adhesive "Best Practices" Gary Emerson Soaring 14 October 18th 06 05:35 PM
Re-curving mylar on a glider Eric Greenwell Soaring 32 October 18th 06 03:20 PM
Double covering fabric covered wings [email protected] Home Built 9 May 9th 04 08:39 PM
Mylar (again) JJ Sinclair Soaring 0 December 11th 03 10:40 PM
Mylar "form 1" vs "form 2" John Soaring 1 November 27th 03 01:20 AM