panel Dimmer

Old November 30th 06, 12:20 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Charlie

Default panel Dimmer

Hi All,

I have incandescent lights in my homebuilt panel and LCD displayse in
avonics. What type of dimmer is needed for these components, and will one
work equally well for the lights and the LCD's or would it be better for the
LCD's to have their own. Then, what is the way to go for the least amount
of hassel? I am far more intrested in the contrast adjustment of the
avonics than the control of the lights. Is one control suitable for three
different LCD displays?

Charlie

Old November 30th 06, 04:43 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
clare at snyder.on.ca

On Wed, 29 Nov 2006 19:20:08 -0500, "Charlie"
wrote:

Hi All,

I have incandescent lights in my homebuilt panel and LCD displayse in
avonics. What type of dimmer is needed for these components, and will one
work equally well for the lights and the LCD's or would it be better for the
LCD's to have their own. Then, what is the way to go for the least amount
of hassel? I am far more intrested in the contrast adjustment of the
avonics than the control of the lights. Is one control suitable for three
different LCD displays?

Charlie

A "chopper" will work with both, but 2 separate ones would likely work
better.

Old November 30th 06, 04:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Rob Turk[_1_]

wrote:

Hi All,

I have incandescent lights in my homebuilt panel and LCD displayse in
avonics. What type of dimmer is needed for these components, and will one
work equally well for the lights and the LCD's or would it be better for
the
LCD's to have their own. Then, what is the way to go for the least amount
of hassel? I am far more intrested in the contrast adjustment of the
avonics than the control of the lights. Is one control suitable for three
different LCD displays?

Charlie

A "chopper" will work with both, but 2 separate ones would likely work
better.

You'll have all sorts of fun with radio interference...

Rob

Old November 30th 06, 09:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
clare at snyder.on.ca

On Thu, 30 Nov 2006 17:47:03 +0100, "Rob Turk"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

Hi All,

I have incandescent lights in my homebuilt panel and LCD displayse in
avonics. What type of dimmer is needed for these components, and will one
work equally well for the lights and the LCD's or would it be better for
the
LCD's to have their own. Then, what is the way to go for the least amount
of hassel? I am far more intrested in the contrast adjustment of the
avonics than the control of the lights. Is one control suitable for three
different LCD displays?

Charlie

A "chopper" will work with both, but 2 separate ones would likely work
better.

You'll have all sorts of fun with radio interference...

Rob

The majority of dash lamp dimmers in automotive apps today are
choppers. Properly filtered, they are quiet - but you DO have to do it
right.

Old November 30th 06, 10:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Rob Turk[_1_]

clare at snyder.on.ca wrote in message
A "chopper" will work with both, but 2 separate ones would likely work
better.

You'll have all sorts of fun with radio interference...

Rob

The majority of dash lamp dimmers in automotive apps today are
choppers. Properly filtered, they are quiet - but you DO have to do it
right.

You're right, but there's one difference with automotive installations. The
radio's are usually FM, which is a lot less susceptible to interference.
Aircraft radios are AM and it takes a lot less spurious signal to upset
them. If you want to try it, prepare for good ground path and shielded
wires.

Rob

Old December 1st 06, 04:59 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
RST Engineering

Really? Hmmm ... seems to me I was listening to the news coming home in the
car tonight on the AM radio band. And, since the AM broadcast band will be
listening to lower harmonics of a switching supply (i.e. stronger signals)
AND the AM radio in the car wasn't fitted with a noise blanker (as most
aircraft radios are) AND we don't use shielded ignition in the automobile
world, I'd expect a lot of interference. ANd yet the news came through just
fine.

Tellaya what. Having designed and installed switching dimmers in aircraft,
I think I can tell you that the interference problem is minimal compared to
other sources of noise in the aircraft.

Switching dimmers are the way to go. Shielded wires are not necessary.

Jim

.. .