Radio - foul language

Old February 9th 04, 09:07 PM
Dave Kearton

"Glenn P." wrote in message
| Mark and Kim Smith wrote:
|
| Same same with 'g_d', 'G_d' and 'god'. My Baptist roots go
way
| back; if you have to use his name in vain - at least spell it
| correctly.
|
| By which you mean YHWH, right?

Yes, he's known by many names - Yahweh is only one of them.

Cheers

Dave Kearton "we shall gather at the river ...."

Old February 9th 04, 09:15 PM
Guy Alcala

"Glenn P." wrote:

Mark and Kim Smith wrote:

Same same with 'g_d', 'G_d' and 'god'. My Baptist roots go way
back; if you have to use his name in vain - at least spell it
correctly.

By which you mean YHWH, right?

(Laughing) Oh, good point! Dare we insert the vowels, and be descended upon by
a horde of enraged orthodox jews and/or Jehovah's Witnesses (Oh, wait a minute,
this is more complicated than I thought) ;-)

Guy, who feels that this discussion is quickly turning into Monty Python's "Life
of Brian" --

CROWD OF WOMEN:
[yelling]
JEWISH OFFICIAL:
Matthias, son of Deuteronomy of Gath.
MATTHIAS:
Do I say 'yes'?
STONE HELPER #1:
Yes.
MATTHIAS:
Yes.
OFFICIAL:
You have been found guilty by the elders of the town of uttering the name
of our Lord, and so, as a blasphemer,...
CROWD:
Ooooh!
OFFICIAL:
...you are to be stoned to death.
CROWD:
Ahh!
MATTHIAS:
Look. I-- I'd had a lovely supper, and all I said to my wife was, 'That
piece of halibut was good enough for Jehovah.'
CROWD:
Oooooh!
OFFICIAL:
Blasphemy!

He's said it again!
CROWD:
Yes! Yes, he did! He did!...
OFFICIAL:
Did you hear him?!
CROWD:
Yes! Yes, we did! We did!...
WOMAN #1:
Really!
[silence]
OFFICIAL:
Are there any women here today?
CROWD:
No. No. No. No...
OFFICIAL:
Very well. By virtue of the authority vested in me--
[CULPRIT WOMAN stones MATTHIAS]
MATTHIAS:
Oww! Lay off! We haven't started yet!
OFFICIAL:
Come on! Who threw that? Who threw that stone? Come on.
CROWD:
She did! She did! He did! He! He. He. Him. Him. Him. Him. He did.
CULPRIT WOMAN:
Sorry. I thought we'd started.
OFFICIAL:
Go to the back.
CULPRIT WOMAN:
Oh, dear.
OFFICIAL:
Always one, isn't there? Now, where were we?
MATTHIAS:
Look. I don't think it ought to be blasphemy, just saying 'Jehovah'.
CROWD:
Oooh! He said it again! Oooh!...
OFFICIAL:
You're only making it worse for yourself!
MATTHIAS:
Making it worse?! How could it be worse?! Jehovah! Jehovah! Jehovah!
CROWD:
Oooooh!...
OFFICIAL:
I'm warning you. If you say 'Jehovah' once more--
[MRS. A. stones OFFICIAL]
Right. Who threw that?
[silence]
Come on. Who threw that?
CROWD:
She did! It was her! He! He. Him. Him. Him. Him. Him. Him.
OFFICIAL:
Was it you?
MRS. A.:
Yes.
OFFICIAL:
Right!
MRS. A.:
Well, you did say 'Jehovah'.
CROWD:
Ah! Ooooh!...
[CROWD stones MRS. A.]

OFFICIAL:
Stop! Stop, will you?! Stop that! Stop it! Now, look! No one is to stone
anyone until I blow this whistle! Do you understand?! Even, and I want to make
this absolutely clear, even if they do say 'Jehovah'.
CROWD:
Ooooooh!...
[CROWD stones OFFICIAL]
WOMAN #1:
Good shot!
[clap clap clap]

Old February 9th 04, 11:08 PM
Paul J. Adam

In message , ArtKramr
writes
Also you are not supposed to blurt out your battle plans over the command set.

Depends on timescales. If you're calling in a fire mission from a
battery in direct support, or reporting a hot contact... the enemy will
gain nothing from intercepting and translating your radio messages. They
already know that Our Guys are fighting Their Guys at grid 123987, the
spooks get told to clear the net for useful messages

Slower time? That's what BATCO is for, painful though it may be to use.

--
When you have to kill a man, it costs nothing to be polite.
W S Churchill

Old February 9th 04, 11:22 PM
Ed Rasimus

On Mon, 9 Feb 2004 23:08:12 +0000, "Paul J. Adam"
wrote:

In message , ArtKramr
writes
Also you are not supposed to blurt out your battle plans over the command set.

Depends on timescales. If you're calling in a fire mission from a
battery in direct support, or reporting a hot contact... the enemy will
gain nothing from intercepting and translating your radio messages. They
already know that Our Guys are fighting Their Guys at grid 123987, the
spooks get told to clear the net for useful messages

Slower time? That's what BATCO is for, painful though it may be to use.

You guys make me feel like a relative youth....ever heard of
"frequency agility" AKA "Have Quick" or in simple terms, secure comm?

Regardless, as Paul notes, calls for immediate fire don't really lose
a lot if compromised.
Ed Rasimus
Fighter Pilot (USAF-Ret)
"When Thunder Rolled"
Smithsonian Institution Press
ISBN #1-58834-103-8
Old February 9th 04, 11:32 PM
Krztalizer

Gordon, how many youngsters would you say visit this newsgroup?

My eight year old son, for one. Probably a few others, but as you suggest, not
many. Still, since its not off-limits to the wee ones AND ladies, I don't see
it as the same as a forum for, say, just sailors.

v/r
Gordon
Old February 9th 04, 11:44 PM
BUFDRVR

Also you are not supposed to blurt out your battle plans over the command
set.

Spoken like someone without a clue. It was LOS UHF *encrypted*. However, in
some instances when units in the field ran out of keymats (which happened) we
spoke in the clear. What are the alternatives? No air support because your
crypto expired? Besides, if you intercept the comm, figure out its coming at
you, you've very little time to rectify the situation.

BUFDRVR

everyone on Bear Creek"
Old February 10th 04, 12:48 AM
Krztalizer

What? You mean they let sailors in here?

Every other Wednesday.

I'd not have frequented the joint had I known that was going on!

Heck, they even let Marines in here! ducking a poorly thrown San Migoo
(painted label)