SHUT UP !!! YOU'LL JINX THE MISSION !!!!

Old August 9th 04, 09:57 AM
Ragnar

Default SHUT UP !!! YOU'LL JINX THE MISSION !!!!

Subject: SHUT UP !!! YOU'LL JINX THE MISSION !!!!
From: "Mike"
Date: 8/8/2004 11:57 AM Pacific Standard Time
In other words shut your mouth and just fly your
missions.

And then talk about them for the next 60 years.

If you don't want to hear about them, then just don't read them. Nobody

is
forcing you to.

To be fair, no one is forcing YOU to write them.

Old August 9th 04, 02:44 PM
ANDREW ROBERT BREEN

In article ,
From: "Adrian"
Date: 8/8/2004 11:06 PM Pacific Standard Time

Ignore the trolls. I for one, always enjoy your tales. I wish more veterans
did it. Keep it up

Thank you for the kind words. You will find that most who denigrate never
actually flew a mission or were even in combat. They just endlessley quote what

Can I second Adrian's comments? It's important for as many people out
there as possible - most of them are 2 generations removed from what
Art and his comrades (and my father and /his/) went through - to
know that war is not something that happens on TV.

Over and above that, I'm particularly interested in your take on the
air war, given that my father spent two years doing air-sea rescue
in the channel[1], much of the "custom" being US aircrews coming back
from the big daylight raids. They didn't get many Marauder survivors
though (nor many from Beaufighters - neither ditched well) and for
that reason alone rated those crews highly.

As to the "politics" that some here object to - I've noticed similar
views taken by a good proportion of WW2 veterans I've met. Those who
have said have ascribed it to having seen the elephant.

[1] ASR plus combat sweeps - the RN believed in working its coastal
craft hard.

--
Andy Breen ~ Interplanetary Scintillation Research Group
http://users.aber.ac.uk/azb/
Old August 9th 04, 02:45 PM
ANDREW ROBERT BREEN

In article ,
ArtKramr wrote:
I am being forced to write them by men who I flew with who now lie buried in
foreign graves.

Art - that's almost the same phrase as my father used for the reason he
wrote about /his/ war. All power to your elbow/pen/keyboard and keep
writing.

Old August 9th 04, 02:48 PM
ArtKramr

From: "Kevin Brooks"
Date: 8/9/2004 6:24 AM Pacific Standard Time

From: "Ragnar"

Date: 8/9/2004 1:57 AM Pacific Standard Time

From: "Mike"

Date: 8/8/2004 11:57 AM Pacific Standard Time
In other words shut your mouth and just fly your
missions.

And then talk about them for the next 60 years.

If you don't want to hear about them, then just don't read them.

Nobody
is
forcing you to.

To be fair, no one is forcing YOU to write them.

I am being forced to write them by men who I flew with who now lie

buried in
foreign graves.

As he again toodles out his attempt at wrapping himself in other men's glory
in an attempt to claok himself from rebuke...makes you want to gag.

Brooks

What makes me want to gag is the fact that with all the bull**** you spew you
never saw a second of combat, never fired a shot in anger, never faced an enemy
for your country. You and your bull**** make me want to gag. Don't spew your
crap about what war was like, You wouldn't know. So go back and hide under
that desk you flew as you always did when men were fighting and dying for their
country and you were nowhere to seen

Arthur Kramer
344th BG 494th BS
Visit my WW II B-26 website at:
http://www.coastcomp.com/artkramer

Old August 9th 04, 03:16 PM
ArtKramr

From: (ANDREW ROBERT BREEN)
Date: 8/9/2004 6:44 AM Pacific Standard Time

Over and above that, I'm particularly interested in your take on the
air war, given that my father spent two years doing air-sea rescue
in the channel[1], much of the "custom" being US aircrews coming back
from the big daylight raids. They didn't get many Marauder survivors
though (nor many from Beaufighters - neither ditched well) and for
that reason alone rated those crews highly.

The reason there were so few Marauder suvivors is because the Marauder wouldn't
float for more that 20 seconds It would be at the bottom of the channel before
you could ever get to it. And it was not an easy plane to evacuate in 20
seconds. When we were came home from missions with damage we would all pray not
to have to ditch in the channel. As we crossed the French coast we would
strain to see the white cliffs of Dover.The most beautiful sight in the owrld.
That is where home was.

As to the "politics" that some here object to - I've noticed similar
views taken by a good proportion of WW2 veterans I've met. Those who
have said have ascribed it to having seen the elephant.

Your father was a hero. We all revered the work doine by air sea rescue.We
never needed them, but we were sure glad they were there below us waiting to
snatch us out of the sea..

Thanks for the kind words. I really appreciate it.

Old August 9th 04, 03:19 PM
ANDREW ROBERT BREEN

In article ,
From: (ANDREW ROBERT BREEN)
Art - that's almost the same phrase as my father used for the reason he
wrote about /his/ war. All power to your elbow/pen/keyboard and keep
writing.

I'lll keep witing. And I hope that my writing succeeds in some small way of
re-creating what it was like in the air over Germany and more important, the
men who flew those missions. They were very young . Hardly out of their teens.

That's the thing: my father's friend Norman Hanson (he who wrote "Carrier
Pilot" about his war - and for exactly the reasons you give for writing
your postings) was an old man when he went to war in 1941 - he was 26..
Most, like you say, were a lot younger.

Many never came home. I try to remember each one of them as best I can and
share them as best as I can. Thank you for the kind wordsYour father knows
whereof he speaks. More to come.

Knew, unfortunately. He died earlier this year. That's made me even
more kenn that those who know what it was like share that knowledge,
otherwise people who didn't have to do that (because of what his
and your generation did) will forget - and then our children might
have to go through it all again.

--
Andy Breen ~ Interplanetary Scintillation Research Group
http://users.aber.ac.uk/azb/
"Time has stopped, says the Black Lion clock
and eternity has begun" (Dylan Thomas)
Old August 9th 04, 03:26 PM
ArtKramr

From: (ANDREW ROBERT BREEN)
Date: 8/9/2004 7:19 AM Pacific Standard Time
In article ,
ArtKramr wrote:
From:
(ANDREW ROBERT BREEN)
[...]

Sorry about your dad. But he will be remembered by you and the band of brothers
he flew with. And it is important to remember, Pity those who have nothing to
remember..They are the saddest of all.