Did you fly at Zahn's Airport?

Old August 12th 05, 10:47 PM
Charlie

Default Did you fly at Zahn's Airport?

Hi --

I'm currently building a virtual model of Zahn's Airport (Amityville,
NY -- closed in 1980) and am looking for anyone who might have old
photos, maps, charts, airport directories, or memories to share.

(I've seen the pages at
http://www.airfields-freeman.com/NY/....htm.htm#zahns
and am looking for more detail.)

My intent is to make this model as realistic and accurate as possible,
and then make it freely available on the web.

Project details are at http://research.sun.com/zahns/

Thanks,

-- Charlie Jackson

Old August 13th 05, 12:57 AM
tom418

I did my Private and Instrument there, circa 1969.
The larger flight school was Amityville Flying Service.
Some of their fleet:
PA28s: N4372J, N5596F, N7161R, N6749J , N6719J,N8191N , N9981W, N1865J,
N55737. They also had several J-3's and a Comanche.

I remember their CFIs as being very well qualified (mine had his ATR , and
was later hired by Suburban Airlines before I finished)

They had a ground school on the other side of the field, in a non-air
conditioned room . It was taught by "Danny", who taught you everything you
needed to pass the writtens, and a lot more. (In those days, one didn't see
the questions in advance, like one does before today's "tests"). The
textbook was a $6.95 "Zweng Manual"

The airport, AYZ, (elev 54') had a main runway , which ran North/South- and
was 4200 ft long. It had no numbers, or markings whatsoever. The other
East-West strip was like a roller coaster. The Pilot's lounge consisted of
an outdoor park bench that "seesawed" when one sat on it. For WX info,
there was the old teletype machine, which I would gladly trade DUATS for..

When you took off to the North, you turned your crosswind pronto , as
Farmingdale airport was in proximity, on the other side of Route 109, like 1
mile away.

Oh, and if you had to use the "facilities" you held your nose. (You weren't
expecting a toilet that flushed, were you?)

I have absolutely no regrets about getting my start there. HTH

oups.com...

Old August 13th 05, 04:03 AM
Tony

I used it once, so can be no help, except to say taking off to the
north put you right in Farmingdale's airspace. For someone not based
there it was VERY uncomfortable. Every future visit to LI was to
Farmingdale, and knowing Zahn was right there didn't make me very happy
either.

Old August 16th 05, 04:26 PM
Marco Leon

Have you read the book "Long Island Airports" by Joshua Stoff ISBN:
0738536768, Arcadia Publishing? My copy is at home but I remember seeing
some photos of Zahn's.
-Marco

Old August 16th 05, 06:21 PM
Charlie Jackson

Haven't some across that one.
I _have_ been in contact with Josh Stoff -- he's the curator of the
Cradle of Aviation Museum (near the site of old Mitchell Field, Long
Island, NY) -- he didn't mention his book.

I'll see if I can track down a copy on this end.

Thanks so much!!

Charlie

Old August 25th 05, 05:32 PM
Marco Leon

Finally remembered to look at my copy of the book. They have a great aerial
shot of Zahn's in the book. Email me if you want me to scan it for you.

Marco

"Charlie Jackson" wrote in message
oups.com...
Haven't some across that one.
I _have_ been in contact with Josh Stoff -- he's the curator of the
Cradle of Aviation Museum (near the site of old Mitchell Field, Long
Island, NY) -- he didn't mention his book.

I'll see if I can track down a copy on this end.

Thanks so much!!

Charlie

Palo Alto airport, potential long-term problems... [email protected] Piloting 7 June 6th 05 11:32 PM
WI airport closure Mike Spera Owning 0 March 9th 05 01:53 PM
N94 Airport may expand into mobile home community, locals supportive William Summers Piloting 0 March 18th 04 03:03 AM
Rules on what can be in a hangar Brett Justus Owning 13 February 27th 04 05:35 PM