Garmin unveiling?

Old July 18th 07, 05:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Ray Andraka

Default Garmin unveiling?

Robert M. Gary wrote:

On Jul 12, 6:09 am, Nathan Young wrote:

On Thu, 12 Jul 2007 05:36:05 -0700, wrote:

Oshkosh seems to be the place where Garmin rolls out their latest and
greatest products. Any speculation on what the next will be?

From a software standpoint, there are probably lots of little features
that can be improved, but I cannot think of any big features that the
496 lacks...

Airways. Until they put airways in the GPS systems they will still be
just help tools. This is the same with the G1000. I still have to
carry all my charts and reference them often in flight.

-Robert

Yeah, that's been my hot button too. I asked Garmin for airways when I
got my GPSIII about 10 years ago. Still no airways though.
Old July 18th 07, 06:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Ray Andraka

B A R R Y wrote:

On Thu, 12 Jul 2007 21:56:59 -0000, "Robert M. Gary"
wrote:

Airways. Until they put airways in the GPS systems they will still be
just help tools. This is the same with the G1000. I still have to
carry all my charts and reference them often in flight.

Can't you just program the route from Navaid to Navaid, and if
necessary, add the intersections where the airway bends?

Airways always run from something to something else (a Navaid or
intersection). Even a current databased 196 has the pints that define
an airway. While you still need the chart to program it, once it's
programmed, you can easily follow an airway.

Am I missing something?

Thanks!

Yeah, you can program your path in nav-aid to nav-aid to intersection to
navaid. It's a pain and requires the charts though. For example, my
flights to the Baltimore area are ORW-V16-ENO-SWANN. To put that into
the Garmin requires you to enter ORW CCC DPK JFK DIXIE CYN VCN ENO
SWANN, all by scrolling through the alphabet. That's barely acceptable
when on the ground before you have the engine running. It sucks trying
to do it in flight for a wholesale routing change, which usually happens
when the weather is crap to begin with. I don't know why Garmin can't
do the airways. Some of the old Loran boxes had it, so why can't it be
done in a modern GPS that has everything else down to the color of your
shoelaces in it?
Old July 18th 07, 07:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
B A R R Y[_2_]

Ray Andraka wrote:
Some of the old Loran boxes had it, so why can't it be
done in a modern GPS that has everything else down to the color of your
shoelaces in it?

Good point.

You know what I'd like to see? A folding bluetooth or IR QWERTY
keyboard, like the versions available for Pocket PC or Palm devices.
Old July 18th 07, 08:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Dave Butler

Ray Andraka wrote:
Some of the old Loran boxes had it, so why can't it be
done in a modern GPS that has everything else down to the color of your
shoelaces in it?

GNS480
Old July 25th 07, 09:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Peter Clark

On Thu, 12 Jul 2007 18:00:39 -0700, "Robert M. Gary"
wrote:

What happens if you're needing to leave or join the airway midway,
such as at an intersection bend?

If you were to program the airway as a waypoint, wouldn't the unit
expect you to fly it from beginning to end?

In the King GPS I had you put two way points and the airway. You could
enter and exit the airway at any waypoint. However, because the GPS
had airways it was smart enough to make all the airway turns and not
just go direct from the first way point to the last (which may have a
mountain in the middle).

Well, Cessna has announced the bug fix/feature list for the latest
G1000 software. It does include airways in the flight plan.

7/23/07 - SB 07-34-02A

Fixes the departure/arrival not overwriting waypoints properly bug
Fixes the 400 storm cell issue with the GDL69A. Also enhances pilots
interface (whatever that means)
Adds inset map into the reversionary mode
Audible alert for user selected BARO minimums
Allows transponder code entry via FMS knob
Adds RX and SQ indicators to the TX indicator for VHF comms
Allows user-selectable lookahead time for track vector
Adds victor airways to flight plan capability
Changes to TAWS system to reduce nuisance alerts, and adds an inhibit
key
Changes splash screen on the MFD to show database status differently
Auto-acknowledge Aural Alert (Configuration changes to ensure aural
alerts are provided at system startup, whatever that means)
Adds support for JeppView
Adds support for Garmin SafeTaxi and FliteChart
Allows XM channel to be dialled in directly
Adds current track bug on HSI
Adds wind component breakout window
Adds VNAV guidance
Adds bug for DH/MDA
Auto-disables TIS on the ground to prevent nuisance alerts, adds "TIS
UNAVAILABLE" mute key
Enhances highlighting of waypoints underlying depicted TFRs
Adds support for ADF Superflag when ADF Superflag signal is sensed
Old July 25th 07, 10:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Mark Hansen

On 07/25/07 13:15, Peter Clark wrote:

[...]

Oh ... I hate it when they add bugs ;-\

--
Mark Hansen, PP-ASEL, Instrument Airplane, USUA Ultralight Pilot
Cal Aggie Flying Farmers
Old July 26th 07, 12:17 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Thanks Guys. It sounds like the bank account (and credit card
balance) will not be assalted this year.

Bob

Old July 29th 07, 04:20 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
~^ beancounter ~^

On Jul 25, 5:17 pm, wrote:
Thanks Guys. It sounds like the bank account (and credit card
balance) will not be assalted this year.

Bob

heck yea...start saving up and chattin' up the mrs. for next year......

XM Wx Garmin 430/430W with Garmin GDL-69? [email protected] Instrument Flight Rules 4 March 5th 07 03:52 AM
New Garmin? Jon A General Aviation 0 June 8th 06 04:00 AM
This is why Garmin 296's street price has been dropping -> Garmin 396 [email protected] Instrument Flight Rules 7 July 11th 05 06:39 PM
A380 unveiling, 1/18/05, Live. A Guy Called Tyketto Piloting 130 February 1st 05 08:53 PM
FS garmin 430 KAPILOT Aviation Marketplace 7 September 2nd 04 07:25 PM