Carrier readiness?

Old September 19th 04, 02:43 PM
Pechs1

Dave- I don't recall ever pulling into our home port with embarked a/c,
and there were a couple of times when we went almost 24 hrs unadorned
with flying machines of any type when we were close to home. What say,
Pechs? We were there at the same time - CV-41. BRBR

Yep, both on Midway-maru and the FID and Indy. Sometimes when we were pulling
out quickly, Midway would keep the airwing aboard, but most of the time, off to
Atsugi-nay.

Always during workups on eastcoast CVs, the boat never had the airwing onboard
and I have gotten traps on Ike, when it was new, during their initial sea
trials. No airwing on board. I trapped and there were two Pax River jets doing
SPN-41/2 certs a helo or two, nothing else. W/o an airwing, the IKE was
BIG...particularly after being on the 'small' boats(FID, Indy, Midway).
P. C. Chisholm
CDR, USN(ret.)
Old September 19th 04, 05:25 PM
Andrew C. Toppan

On 19 Sep 2004 04:21:16 GMT, Clark wrote:

It has nothing to do with my wants, it has to do with your error. To wit: Mr.
Wise correctly noted there will always be aircraft on a carrier. You
neglected to note the error of your comment, much less accept the correction.

Always, huh?

So there's never ever been a carrier underway without aircraft on
board?

Maybe you should reconsider that.

--
Andrew Toppan --- --- "I speak only for myself"
"Haze Gray & Underway" - Naval History, DANFS, World Navies Today,

Old September 19th 04, 05:25 PM
Andrew C. Toppan

On 19 Sep 2004 04:21:16 GMT, Clark wrote:

It has nothing to do with my wants, it has to do with your error. To wit: Mr.
Wise correctly noted there will always be aircraft on a carrier. You
neglected to note the error of your comment, much less accept the correction.

Hey look at this...no fewer than *three* carrier sailors attesting to
the complete absence of aircraft on their carriers at various times!

So who's wrong *twice* now?

Old September 19th 04, 06:17 PM
William Hughes

On Sun, 19 Sep 2004 12:25:42 -0400, in rec.aviation.military.naval Andrew C.
Toppan wrote:

On 19 Sep 2004 04:21:16 GMT, Clark wrote:

It has nothing to do with my wants, it has to do with your error. To wit: Mr.
Wise correctly noted there will always be aircraft on a carrier. You
neglected to note the error of your comment, much less accept the correction.

Always, huh?

So there's never ever been a carrier underway without aircraft on
board?

Maybe you should reconsider that.

Andrew, we know what your bona fides are (http://www.hazegray.org), but I wonder
about Mr. Clark's...

Old September 19th 04, 06:28 PM
Larry

"Andrew C. Toppan" wrote in message
On 19 Sep 2004 04:21:16 GMT, Clark wrote:

It has nothing to do with my wants, it has to do with your error. To wit:

Mr.
Wise correctly noted there will always be aircraft on a carrier. You
neglected to note the error of your comment, much less accept the

correction.

Always, huh?

So there's never ever been a carrier underway without aircraft on
board?

Maybe you should reconsider that.

I'm not adding to the lil '****ing contest' here, but I came across some
pics of Nimits class carriers underway:

http://www.fas.org/man/dod-101/sys/ship/cvn-68_i.htm

I'm searching for a view I've seen taken underway, of the flight deck
completly covered with private vehicles. This happens during a Homeport
Change and it's kinda cool to see.

Larry
AECS (AW/SW/MTS)
USN 'Retired'
20 years if gettin 'em off the pointy end
AND safely home again!

Old September 19th 04, 08:39 PM
Ogden Johnson III

William Hughes wrote:

Andrew C. Toppan wrote:

Clark wrote:

It has nothing to do with my wants, it has to do with your error. To wit: Mr.
Wise correctly noted there will always be aircraft on a carrier. You
neglected to note the error of your comment, much less accept the correction.

Always, huh?

So there's never ever been a carrier underway without aircraft on
board?

Maybe you should reconsider that.

Andrew, we know what your bona fides are (http://www.hazegray.org), but I wonder
about Mr. Clark's...

I'm wondering if he is the third brother of Stan Clark. Or Stan
Clark himself under a new email addy/nym; or Stan's idiot brother
under a new email addy/num. Erring on the safe side, I have
tucked the new Clark away with the other two, since he seems to
have nothing more to offer s.m.n than they did.
--
OJ III
Old September 20th 04, 02:47 PM
Theecmo

Typical carrier operations on deployment call for various aircraft to be in
a ready status for launch. The amount of time for an "alert" depends on the
area of the world and the current threat estimates for the operating area.
These can range from about 30 minutes to 5 minutes (which is folks in the
cockpit and on the catapults). A carrier air wing is always "fully battle
ready" when on deployment. Again, depending on the alert level you can have
a fully armed and ready strike group in the air in a matter of minutes. Of
course, you must remember that just because you are in the air, you still
have to get where you are going and that's a question of physics.

"rob" wrote in message
Hi

Somebody who knows nothing here :-)

I was wondering how alert a carrier is during a normal peacetime cruise
Do they constantly have early warning aircraft aloft?
If something untoward happens how long would it take to be fully battle
ready?

Old September 20th 04, 02:53 PM
Theecmo

When were you on the Midway? I was 81-84.

"Dave in San diego" wrote in message
. ..
Clark wrote in
:

Andrew C. Toppan wrote in
:

On 15 Sep 2004 03:11:07 GMT, Clark wrote:

Wah, Wah, Wah. When you are wrong, admit it and move on.

That would be fine if I was wrong. I gave a reasonable and correct
answer - just not the one YOU wanted. Why are you the arbiter of
what is correct?

It has nothing to do with my wants, it has to do with your error. To
wit: Mr. Wise correctly noted there will always be aircraft on a
carrier. You neglected to note the error of your comment, much less
accept the correction.

In short, you *are* wrong, twice now.

In my experience of serving on a carrier, there were NOT always aircraft
aboard. I don't recall ever pulling into our home port with embarked a/c,

Old September 20th 04, 10:31 PM
Andrew C. Toppan

On Mon, 20 Sep 2004 09:47:59 -0400, "Theecmo"
wrote:

A carrier air wing is always "fully battle
ready" when on deployment.

Even during a Steel Beach or while in a foreign port?

Perhaps the definition of "fully" is variable.

Old September 21st 04, 02:29 PM
Pechs1

andrew- Even during a Steel Beach or while in a foreign port? BRBR

Steel beach picnic in Indian Ocean, Midway. Some boilers off line and hardly
any wind over the deck. A-7s, with 1 sidewinder each, standing Alert 5...the
rest of us(F-4 guys) getting our 'tan off the coast of Iran'.

P. C. Chisholm
CDR, USN(ret.)