Paddles Passes

Old October 7th 04, 01:53 AM
Rich

"W. D. Allen Sr." wrote in message ...
How many on this newsgroup ever made paddles passes to aircraft carrier
landings? How many to straight decks and how many to angled decks? On which
carriers did you make them? How many in this newsgroup even know what
paddles passes were? Let us hear from all you really old, formerly bold
pilots!

"There are old pilots, and there are bold pilots. But there are no old bold
pilots!"

WDA

end

As with Mike, my father will talk to me about it, but isn't
particularly enamored with computers. With his permission:
Year-Carrier-Type(s)-Squadron/Duty

1941 - USS Ranger (CV-4) - SBC-4 (VS-41), F4F-3 (VF-42)
1941 - USS Wasp (CV-7) - F4F-3 (VF-42)
1941/1942 - USS Yorktown (CV-5) - F4F-3 (VF-42), F4F-4 (XO VF-3)
1942 - USS Lexington (CV-2) - F4F-3 (VF-42)
1942 - USS Enterprise (CV-6) - F4F-4 (VF-3)
1942 - USS Hornet (CV-8) - F4F-4 (VF-3)
1943 - USS Long Island (CVE-1) - F4F-4 (VF-11)
1944 - USS Altamaha (CVE-18) - F4U-1D (ComFAirWest RATO tests)
1944 - USS Ticonderoga (CV-14) - F6F-3 (TF-38 Staff - Opns)
1945 - USS Hancock (CV-19) F6F-3, F6F-5 (TF-38 Staff - Opns)
1945 - USS Wasp (CV-18) - F6F-3 (TF-38 Staff - Opns)
1945 - USS Shangri-La (CV-38) - F4U-4 (TF-38 Staff - Opns)
1948 - USS Franklin D. Roosevelt (CV-42) - FH-1 (CO VF-17A)
1948 - USS Philippine Sea (CV-47) - FH-1 (CO VF-17A)
1949 - USS Midway (CV-41) F2H-2 (CO VF-171)
1949 - USS Tarawa (CV-40) - F3H-2, F2H-3, F2H-4 (CO VF-171)
1950 / 1951 - USS Coral Sea (CV-43) F2H-2 (CO VF-171), F4U-4, F4U-5,
AD-2, AD-4Q (CAG-17)
1955 - USS Bennington (CVA-20) - F9F-7 (CO VX-5)
1956 - USS Bon Homme Richard (CVA-31) - F9F-8 (first to trap and to
launch after SCB-125 conversion, XO CV-31)

329 Traps

Rich
Old October 7th 04, 02:50 AM
vincent p. norris

I did FCLPs for 30 days in the T-2 and TA-4, CQed on the Lex and Kitty Hawk.I
did think the training and the LSOs were outstanding, and I did think CQ was
especially difficult.

Sorry, perhaps I should know what a T-2 and a TA-4 are, but I don't.
I got out in 1954, before the Navy had to change its aircraft
designation system.

I neglected to mention I CQed in an SNJ; perhaps that explains the
difference between your experence and mine.

This may or may not be relevant, but I had the tremendous pleasure of
flying an SNJ two years ago, 52 years after my last previous flight in
one. I've been flying, but in Cherokees and occasionally Cessnas,
nothing like an SNJ and certainly not tail draggers.

I shot six landings and felt as as much at home as if I'd been
flying one the day before. I think that's evidence how easy an
airplane it is to fly.

vince norris
Old October 7th 04, 03:31 AM
Mike Kanze

BZ to your Dad, Rich.

Interesting to note they were cruisemates on the old LEX and the BIG E
during 1942. What is his full name?

Dad probably knows (or knows of) him, since the PAC FLT VF community was
very small in those days. One could honestly say, as Dad often has, that
one "knew every fighter pilot in the Pacific Fleet" back then.

--
Mike Kanze

"You didn't think we give pretty women tickets? You're right, we don't. Sign
here."

- Anonymous cop, to woman driver.

"Rich" wrote in message
m...

Old October 7th 04, 05:21 PM
Rich

"Mike Kanze" wrote in message ...
BZ to your Dad, Rich.

Interesting to note they were cruisemates on the old LEX and the BIG E
during 1942. What is his full name?

Dad probably knows (or knows of) him, since the PAC FLT VF community was
very small in those days. One could honestly say, as Dad often has, that
one "knew every fighter pilot in the Pacific Fleet" back then.

--
Mike Kanze

"You didn't think we give pretty women tickets? You're right, we don't. Sign
here."

- Anonymous cop, to woman driver.

My father, Bill Leonard, was only briefly aboard Lexington, Enterprise
and Hornet. He had one landing and launch from Lexington just before
the Coral Sea action. Enterprise landings and launches were after
Midway where Yorktown was lost, as were those on Hornet. He piloted
one of the last planes launched from Yorktown (into the teeth of a
Japanese torpedo plane attack, shooting down one B5N) and landed on
Enterprise after that action. His plane was re-fueled and armed and
he was sent back up to fly what turned out to be the last CAP over
Yorktown. As night approached on the June 4th he landed back aboard
Enterprise. The next day, he, and almost all the Yorktown VF-3 and
VF-42 pilots refugeed on Enterprise were sent over to Hornet where
they operated under Jimmy Thach in a squadron everyone jokingly
referred to as VF-3-42-8. Dad retired a RAdm in 1971.

Rich
Old October 7th 04, 07:39 PM
Mike Kanze

Rich Leonard,

My Dad more than knows your Dad. In addition to their early WWII
connection, he was your Dad's Air Boss when your Dad skippered RANGER
(CVA-61) during the early 1960s.

Like your Dad launching from YORKTOWN during Midway, my Dad was the last /
one of the last to launch from LEX before she was unable to continue flight
ops during Coral Sea. Hard to tell, though - as Dad says - because of the
confusion / "fog" surrounding that segment of the engagement.

I don't believe he encountered your Dad again until RANGER.

Other stuff in Dad's career included General Line School at NPS Monterey; an
exchange tour with the Blue Suiters at Willow Run AFB (MI); command of VA-93
at NAS Alameda (first West Coast A-4 outfit - A4D-1s (A-4As), A4D-2s
(A-4Bs)); CAG-9 OPS Officer; temporary command of VF-122 (F3H-1s) at NAS
Miramar; NAS Alameda OPS Officer and a twilight tour with HQ USEUCOM in
Paris. He retired as a CDR in 1965.

Dad and Mom are still kicking, living in Mountain View, CA - close enough so
I can keep an eye on them.

--
Mike Kanze

"You didn't think we give pretty women tickets? You're right, we don't. Sign
here."

- Anonymous cop, to woman driver.

"Rich" wrote in message
om...

Old October 8th 04, 02:49 AM
Rich

And I drag out the handy-dandy 1961 Ranger cruise book & there's your
Dad on page 200.

My Dad lives with me, so I march into his room, hand him the book,
point to your father's picture ... "Oh yeah, I remember Robert Kanze
.... ended up with us on Yorktown after Lex went down ... a good man."
Dad asks that you send along his warm regards the next time you see
your father.

Mike, give me a shout off line when you get a chance.

Rich
Old October 9th 04, 01:37 AM
Mike Kanze

A bit clumsy though, Rich and I proxying for our Dads.

--
Mike Kanze

436 Greenbrier Road
Half Moon Bay, California 94019-2259
USA

650-726-7890

"You didn't think we give pretty women tickets? You're right, we don't. Sign
here."

- Anonymous cop, to woman driver.

"Typhoon502" wrote in message
om...
(Rich) wrote in message
om...
And I drag out the handy-dandy 1961 Ranger cruise book & there's your
Dad on page 200.

My Dad lives with me, so I march into his room, hand him the book,
point to your father's picture ... "Oh yeah, I remember Robert Kanze
... ended up with us on Yorktown after Lex went down ... a good man."
Dad asks that you send along his warm regards the next time you see
your father.

Mike, give me a shout off line when you get a chance.

Rich

Ain't the internet a grand place?

Old October 9th 04, 01:50 AM
Yofuri

You are both blessed to have so much living history in your family. Publish
it with pride!

Rick

"Mike Kanze" wrote in message
A bit clumsy though, Rich and I proxying for our Dads.

--
Mike Kanze

436 Greenbrier Road
Half Moon Bay, California 94019-2259
USA

650-726-7890

"You didn't think we give pretty women tickets? You're right, we don't.
Sign here."

- Anonymous cop, to woman driver.

"Typhoon502" wrote in message
om...
(Rich) wrote in message
om...
And I drag out the handy-dandy 1961 Ranger cruise book & there's your
Dad on page 200.

snip