Question on ferry flight for inspection

Old July 11th 05, 07:09 PM

Default Question on ferry flight for inspection

What's the FAR regulation regarding launching a flight for the sole
purpose to get the plane to the mechanic for a mandatory inspection?
Say there's a recurring AD that's due in 1 Tach hour and maintenance
facility is 2 hours away. Can I legaly launch the flight without
getting a ferry permit?

Thanks!

Old July 11th 05, 07:24 PM
Paul Tomblin

In a previous article, "M" said:
What's the FAR regulation regarding launching a flight for the sole
purpose to get the plane to the mechanic for a mandatory inspection?
Say there's a recurring AD that's due in 1 Tach hour and maintenance
facility is 2 hours away. Can I legaly launch the flight without
getting a ferry permit?

I've only done it once, but it seems to me that ferry permits aren't that
hard to get.

--
Paul Tomblin http://xcski.com/blogs/pt/
Usenet should require licenses; licenses that can be revoked.
Old July 11th 05, 08:43 PM
John Kunkel

"M" wrote in message
ups.com...
What's the FAR regulation regarding launching a flight for the sole
purpose to get the plane to the mechanic for a mandatory inspection?
Say there's a recurring AD that's due in 1 Tach hour and maintenance
facility is 2 hours away. Can I legaly launch the flight without
getting a ferry permit?

I'm thinking that if the tach hits the magic number while airborne, you're
legal.

Old July 11th 05, 08:49 PM
Michelle P

If the planned flight exceed the limit then, no you are not legal. If it
incidentally goes over you are fine.
Michelle (A&P)

John Kunkel wrote:

oups.com...

Old July 11th 05, 08:59 PM
Mark Hansen

On 7/11/2005 12:49, Michelle P wrote:

If the planned flight exceed the limit then, no you are not legal. If it
incidentally goes over you are fine.
Michelle (A&P)

Michelle,

Isn't there an exception to this when you are flying for the
purposes of repair (or inspection or whatever). I don't have the
FARs right here, but I thought you were given an extra hour or
so for this purpose?

John Kunkel wrote:

"M" wrote in message
roups.com...

What's the FAR regulation regarding launching a flight for the sole
purpose to get the plane to the mechanic for a mandatory inspection?
Say there's a recurring AD that's due in 1 Tach hour and maintenance
facility is 2 hours away. Can I legaly launch the flight without
getting a ferry permit?

I'm thinking that if the tach hits the magic number while airborne, you're
legal.

--
Mark Hansen, PP-ASEL, Instrument Student
Sacramento, CA
Old July 11th 05, 10:13 PM
Michelle P

Can't remember.... Would have to look it up. Best bet get a ferry permit
and you are ok.
Michelle

Mark Hansen wrote:

On 7/11/2005 12:49, Michelle P wrote:

If the planned flight exceed the limit then, no you are not legal. If
it incidentally goes over you are fine.
Michelle (A&P)

Michelle,

Isn't there an exception to this when you are flying for the
purposes of repair (or inspection or whatever). I don't have the
FARs right here, but I thought you were given an extra hour or
so for this purpose?

John Kunkel wrote:

ups.com...

Old July 12th 05, 01:36 AM
Don Hammer

Isn't there an exception to this when you are flying for the
purposes of repair (or inspection or whatever). I don't have the
FARs right here, but I thought you were given an extra hour or
so for this purpose?

Unless it is an emergency AD, they list how soon you have to
accomplish them after the AD is issued. Been waiting until the last
minute huh? ;-)

Other than what the AD gives you, you'll need a ferry permit to move
it. Call your local FSDO and ask for a maintenance inspector.
They'll be glad to issue you one.

By the way, an AD is superior to any FAR, so what it says goes.

Don
A&P/IA
Old July 12th 05, 02:34 AM
Don Hammer

But the written deal (FAA typed letter) says your must first have an
A&P inspect the aircraft for airworthiness.for said proposed flight.
Then he wanted the exact date of the ferry flight. But it must be
under be VFR, so asks I, "What if the weather's bad on that day?" I
can't file, so do I came back for another permit? He grumbled and
agreed to a multi-day "window."

Rather than go through that farce again, for a simple fixed-pitch
aircraft, I'd just disconnect the tach and go fly for the maintenance.
That's provided I didn't know the A&P well enough so he'd agree to log
the tach time -- in a "wink-wink" arrangement -- based upon my telling
him what the tach says, and fib by one hour.

Fred F.

Guess it's easier for me because I can sign off the aircraft myself.
What doesn't need to happen is for someone to violate all kinds of
FAR's by disconnecting the tach. Not only do they have to worry about
the feds, but it invalidates their insurance.

What ever happened to people taking the responsibility for doing
things right instead of putting off things to the last minute and
trying to jack around the system? I think this gentleman is looking
for the right answer and not a way to "play the game".

I'm sure the AD gave him time to get it done without the hardship of a
ferry permit. Since he didn't, he needs to do it the right (and
legal) way.

Don
Old July 12th 05, 02:42 AM
TaxSrv

"Don Hammer" wrote:

Other than what the AD gives you, you'll need a ferry permit to move
it. Call your local FSDO and ask for a maintenance inspector.
They'll be glad to issue you one.

The time I thought that should be easy, they were glad to issue one.

Old July 13th 05, 12:05 AM
Peter Clark

On Mon, 11 Jul 2005 20:34:15 -0500, Don Hammer wrote:

I'm sure the AD gave him time to get it done without the hardship of a
ferry permit. Since he didn't, he needs to do it the right (and
legal) way.

Not pertinent to this case (I believe, he didn't say which AD he was
running out of time for) but there are cases where the AD specifically
doesn't give you any way to do it - even with a ferry permit (see AD
2005-05-53 R1, the one for the mis-rigged flight controls in some new
Cessna 172 and 182 aircraft as an example - "(2) Special flight
permits or positioning flights are not permitted for this AD."

I guess Cessna had to fly in A&Ps to do the rigging check and any
appropriate fix in-situ for aircraft parked anywhere without an
on-site maint facility.