Throwaway GPS

Old December 10th 05, 04:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

Default Throwaway GPS

It would be fine if the user has the option of turning it off.

Old December 10th 05, 04:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

Bob Noel wrote:
In article ,
(Paul Tomblin) wrote:

Some of them can. A friend has a cell phone that one of the better hidden
menu items is to make the GPS data private - if you don't select it, the
cell phone company terms of service allows them the option to spam you
with text messages advertising businesses local to where you are.

what's the name of this cell provider? I want to make sure that I never
ever buy anything from them.

Thanks

All of them most likely. There isn't a wireless company that gives a
squat about their customers. It's all about sales and revenue.
Old December 10th 05, 05:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

Lets's see what we can do with that...add a GPS display to our camera
phone...why not a tiny printer? How much junk can be accomodated on
something as small as today's phones?

Bob Gardner

"Mitty" wrote in message
On 12/9/2005 5:48 PM, Bob Gardner wrote the following:
Yes and no. As I understand it, the new phones will be able to tell
someone where you are, so that they can come and give you CPR or offer
armed response, but it won't have a display that tells YOU where you are.
So I don't believe that they will be GPS's as we think of them.

But do they even do that with GPS? It would seem to be easier to do
approximate location via reporting which cell(s) the phone is hitting and
maybe its signal amplitude. Not as accurate of course.

If it's really GPS I can't imagine that the manufacturers wouldn't somehow
add it to the list of toys the phone makes available to the user.

Old December 10th 05, 07:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

wrote in message news:cYCmf.273$z21.55@fed1read04...
Bob Noel wrote:
In article ,
(Paul Tomblin) wrote:

Some of them can. A friend has a cell phone that one of the better
hidden
menu items is to make the GPS data private - if you don't select it, the
cell phone company terms of service allows them the option to spam you
with text messages advertising businesses local to where you are.

what's the name of this cell provider? I want to make sure that I never
ever buy anything from them.

Thanks

All of them most likely. There isn't a wireless company that gives a
squat about their customers. It's all about sales and revenue.

Probably....companies spend roughly ten times as much on "selling" (getting
you as a customer) as they do on customer service (servicing the products of
services) after they got you as a customer.

Of course, the overwhelming majority of CEO's come from Sales&Marketing --
when was the last time you heard of a CEO that came from Customer Service?

Matt
---------------------
Matthew W. Barrow
Site-Fill Homes, LLC.
Montrose, CO

Old December 11th 05, 06:09 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

Carly Fiorina ran Lucent pretty much into the ground and the almost did
the same for Hewlett-Packard. I believe she came up through the ranks of
Lucent services.

Regards,

James A. (Jim) Carter

Old December 11th 05, 04:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

WE know where You are !!

Missouri Signs Statewide Cell Phone Spying Contract , Baltimore Md. is
useing theirs already !

Please See;
http://www.thenewspaper.com/news/08/814.asp

There are several more articles on the net about this.
Murrell

Old December 11th 05, 06:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

I wonder how useful it is to have GPS in cellphone in order to get the
geo data for E-911. We all know that it's fairly difficult to get a
reliable signal acquisition unless it's ourdoors with a clear view of
sky.

Scott Moore wrote:
I thought for all of the GPS threads.

Next year, 2006, the government mandate for GPS inclusion in cell phones
starts. That means that eventually every cheap cell phone is going to have
a GPS.

GPS receivers are plentyfull now, but are getting set to proliferate into
a commondity part. The time is coming when instead of worrying about tying the
multiple GPS using instruments you have in your airplane, they all have their
own, and you have 3, 4 or more redundant GPS recievers in your airplane.

Old December 12th 05, 03:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

Stubby writes:
Jim Carter wrote:
Carly Fiorina ran Lucent pretty much into the ground
and the almost did the same for Hewlett-Packard. I
believe she came up through the ranks of Lucent services.

I'll bet Rick Miller, the ATT CFO had a hand in running it
into the ground. That's what he did for Wang Laboratories.

What AT&T? The remains are now part of SBC.

There are quite a few people around who repeatedly have
been given big bucks to head up corporations and having
a perfect record of leaving the corporations in shambles.
Old December 12th 05, 09:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

M wrote On 12/11/05 10:25,:
I wonder how useful it is to have GPS in cellphone in order to get the
geo data for E-911. We all know that it's fairly difficult to get a
reliable signal acquisition unless it's ourdoors with a clear view of
sky.

Agreed. I guess we will find out. Of course, the newer sats have more
power, no ?