"Sound" request of vario designers, manufactures, and dealers.

Old May 18th 10, 08:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ben[_4_]

Default "Sound" request of vario designers, manufactures, and dealers.

In 30 something years, I have yet to hear a "pleasing" audio. Why
designers and manufactures insist on duplicating sounds heard in, God
forbid, a Level 1 trauma ER is beyond me. Audios should enhance your
soaring day and not spoil it with rude and irritating responses.
Having been tortured by the Cambridge audio for over a 1000 hours, I'm
ready for a change and "how does it sound?" is my #1 research
question.

I've heard ClearNav now has a vario, but no information is on their
web site.I have surfed Borgelt, CAI, ILEC, LX, Westerboer, and
Zander. Evidently, vario manufactures know little about marketing
because not one of them offer videos depicting their products
operation and sound. With all the technology we have today, how can
this be? My opinion says this fact just confirms the importance
manufactures put on the sounds made by their instruments.

I'm going to support the guy who provides me with the best product
information without having to chase all over hill and dale. From all
the guys like me who want product details before buying something,
kudos to Paul Remde @ Cumulus Soaring for making the effort to to
provide video "experiences" of different varios. You are on the right
track Paul and please keep them coming!

Old May 18th 10, 09:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andy[_1_]

On May 18, 12:42*pm, Ben wrote:
Having been tortured by the Cambridge audio for over a 1000 hours,

I have Enjoyed Cambridge vario audio (MNAV and 302) for over 2,300
hours and hope to continue to do so for a few more hours.

My only gripe with the 302 audio is that is does not have speed
dependent volume control.

Andy
Old May 19th 10, 03:28 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Terry Mc Elligott

Humans are far more sensitive to their sound environment than is
generally believed but because we're bathed in sound almost all the
time, we learn to reject (or tune out, if you prefer) background. And
because it's thought of as background, we might think of it as a
minor distraction, which it isn't. After long periods, sound can
become fatiguing. That's why audio manufacturers do such a brisk
business in noise cancelling headphones. Using them on a long
(airline) flight makes a remarkable difference even though noise
attenuation isn't all that large. Can't imagine they would be
practical in a glider. They'd be just one more gadget.

Beyond the vario noise, the reflective surfaces inside the glider can
make us feel like we're flying around inside a drum. My glider uses a
Cambridge LNav which can sound in-your-face so I've learned to turn
the volume down to a level where it's tolerable. Still, there ARE
other, softer electronic sounds that could be generated.

Have you tried earplugs? They wouldn't need to be the super efficient
type. You'd still hear plenty.

(Funny, isn't it, how our 'silent' sport isn't so silent?)