Common instruments on small aircraft

Old October 21st 06, 11:15 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Mxsmanic

Default Common instruments on small aircraft

Are small GA aircraft often equipped with things like autopilots, GPS
units, and EHSI displays? What about a radar altimeter? The Baron I
fly in simulation is equipped with these (as is the A36), but fancy
instruments are free in simulation, so I'm wondering how likely one is
to have them in real life.

Old October 21st 06, 01:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Neil Gould

Recently, Mxsmanic posted:

Are small GA aircraft often equipped with things like autopilots, GPS
units, and EHSI displays? What about a radar altimeter? The Baron I
fly in simulation is equipped with these (as is the A36), but fancy
instruments are free in simulation, so I'm wondering how likely one is
to have them in real life.

You can have anything you want in a small aircraft if you have the money
and are willing to accept the trade-offs.

Neil

Old October 21st 06, 02:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Mxsmanic

Neil Gould writes:

You can have anything you want in a small aircraft if you have the money
and are willing to accept the trade-offs.

Understood. But I was wondering about what you're likely to encounter
if you're renting an aircraft, or training in an aircraft. What kind
of equipment do rentals usually have, and what kind of equipment is
usually found in aircraft used for pilot training?

Put another way, am I being spoiled by an EHSI and GPS and weather
radar and a multi-axis autopilot in my sim GA aircraft?

Old October 21st 06, 02:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Capt. Geoffrey Thorpe

"Mxsmanic" wrote in message
news ...
Put another way, am I being spoiled by an EHSI and GPS and weather
radar and a multi-axis autopilot in my sim GA aircraft?

No, you are not being spoiled by flying a sim - you are missing out.

--
Geoff
The Sea Hawk at Wow Way d0t Com

Old October 21st 06, 03:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Matt Barrow

"Capt. Geoffrey Thorpe" The Sea Hawk at wow way d0t com wrote in message
news:5qydnZ_59p0sv6fYnZ2dnUVZ_rOdnZ2d@wideopenwest .com...
"Mxsmanic" wrote in message
news ...
Put another way, am I being spoiled by an EHSI and GPS and weather
radar and a multi-axis autopilot in my sim GA aircraft?

No, you are not being spoiled by flying a sim - you are missing out.

It's much more fun driving, say, a Nissan 350Z, than slot cars or go-karts.

Old October 21st 06, 03:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Steve Foley[_2_]

"Mxsmanic" wrote in message
I'm wondering how likely one is
to have them in real life.

Not very

Old October 21st 06, 04:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Judah

Mxsmanic wrote in
:

Are small GA aircraft often equipped with things like autopilots, GPS
units, and EHSI displays? What about a radar altimeter?

The first plane I trained in was as basic as they get - one radio, one NAV.
It was adequate as a trainer, and even for renting (although I bought a
handheld GPS after I started renting more frequently). But they sold that
flight school and I don't think you can rent those planes anymore.

Later I switched to a Cessna dealer who rented out all new (1999 or later)
model Cessnas. They all had 2 radios, 2 navs, built-in GPS and Autopilot.
Some had add-ons like an HSI or a large screen display. One even had
weather. The flight school would charge slightly more for the planes with
the add-ons, I think about $10/hr more. From what I hear, they now have a
couple of G1000 planes as well that they rent out with a special checkout
and for a slightly higher price as well, but I haven't flown them.

Then I joined a flight club. All the planes in the flight club have similar
equipment - 2 nav/coms, Autopilot, GPS. The club has 2 Archers, 3 Arrows,
and 3 Bonanzas, with nearly identical panels. The Bonanzas, as "travel"
planes, have some add-ons like HSIs, and one has a StrikeFinder. The
airframes aren't brand new like at the Cessna Dealer, but they are clean,
well maintained, include modern avionics, and the price and availability
are worth it.

My field also has a couple of share programs for people who want to buy a
share of plane. Cirrus is big on this, but OurPlane is one who I believe
also markets Cessna 182 shares. I believe those planes are all brand new
planes with G1000 systems.

I have never flown with a Radar Altimiter, nor even seen one. Based on your
messages, I believe your Baron simulation does not accurately reflect the
typical flight experience of a Private Pilot in the US. Perhaps it is
modeled after some other flight experience.
Old October 21st 06, 04:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Gene Seibel

In our 1966 Cherokee 180:
No autopilot.
No radar altimeter.
No HSI
Two navcoms
One ADF
One Transponder
No panel GPS - use a handheld.
--
Gene Seibel
Hangar 131 - http://pad39a.com/gene/plane.html

Old October 21st 06, 06:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Capt. Geoffrey Thorpe

"Matt Barrow" wrote in message

"Capt. Geoffrey Thorpe" The Sea Hawk at wow way d0t com wrote in message
news:5qydnZ_59p0sv6fYnZ2dnUVZ_rOdnZ2d@wideopenwest .com...
"Mxsmanic" wrote in message
news ...
Put another way, am I being spoiled by an EHSI and GPS and weather
radar and a multi-axis autopilot in my sim GA aircraft?

No, you are not being spoiled by flying a sim - you are missing out.

It's much more fun driving, say, a Nissan 350Z, than slot cars or
go-karts.

DRIVING a go-cart is WAY more fun than watching one on TV...

Old October 21st 06, 06:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Stefan

Mxsmanic schrieb:

Are small GA aircraft often equipped with things like autopilots,

The Baron I fly in simulation is equipped with these

Must be real fun to fly MSFS on autopilot...

Stefan