Aerospace Logic CHT+EGT vs EI/JPI EMS

Old November 7th 06, 09:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.products
EridanMan

Default Aerospace Logic CHT+EGT vs EI/JPI EMS

Hey Guys,

I was wondering if any of you had thoughts about the suitability of
Aerospace Logic CHT+EGT gauges as a substitute for a dedicated multibar
EMS for LOP operations.

While obviously I'd be missing out on all the "cool" features, the
aerospace logic gauges would give me Hottest Cylinder CHT/EGT, overtemp
warning (on any cylinder), shock-cool warning (on any cylinder) and 1
degree temperature tracking... Do you really need anything more?

It seems to me to be a matter that all the requisite information would
be there- I would just have to do a bit more interpretation of the data
myself (although I would have a simpler interface as well).

Of course, the fact that I can get an Aerospace logic CHT+EGT for under
a grand is another substantial motivating factor.

Interested in any and all opinions.

-Scott

Old November 7th 06, 10:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.products
Jim Burns[_1_]

If you're shopping for AL gauges, check E-bay for seller gqya or visit
http://stores.ebay.com/24x7-Avionics

This "seems" to be a factory auction site. I won an auction for an
Aerospace Logic fuel level indicator for less than 1/2 the retail/catalog
price. The webstore is in Canada as is AL. The sellers name was Shane, as
is the AL President who signed the STC, which was included in the box.

Word of caution. I had several problems getting the seller to ship my
gauge, but once he did, I got it within 2 days. I also have a friend who
had problems with an AL ammeter, it took him several weeks and complaints
CC:'d to the Cessna Pilots Association before AL responded.

YMMV

Jim

oups.com...

Old November 7th 06, 11:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.products
EridanMan

Yeah, that seller in particular is why I was wondering.

I should also mention that I'm interested in purchasing a fuel-flow
system as well...

Based on his 'buy it now' prices, I could get a CHT + EGT, TSO'ed and
STC'ed, for ~750 bucks, (with probes)...

Add an EI FP-5 (600), and I'm looking at ~1350 for all.

For Comparison:

Ei-

SR-8 (CHT + EGT for all cylinders, peak detection, hottest display, no
user programmable limits (and 500 is WAY too hot for the factory
programmed limit): 590 + probes. Seems kinda awkward to use (single
display for CHT/EGT for 4 cylinders = 8 total displays to cycle
through). Add FP-5, and we're talking 1190.

US-8 (CHT + EGT for all cylinders, peak detection, hottest display,
user programmable limits) 1300 w/probes. Dual displays (CHT + EGT for
current cylinder) same as AL. A little bit more logic, almost twice
the cost. add FP-5, and we're talking 1900.

UBG-16 (Kitchen Sink Features) - 1650w/probes. Special deal, Over
twice the cost, but FP-5 is available for an additional 260 bucks,
bringing the total cost (Engine Monitor + fuel flow) to 1910. (clearly
smarter than US-8)

JPI-

JPI-700 (Kitchen Sink Features.... Friend has one in his Cheetah, HATES
the UI... thou I'm not sure the EI is any better)- 1475 w/probes. Fuel
Flow available for 700 extra = 2175 total. Does not report current
Power Percentage, unlike FP-5.

Basically, UBG-16 + FP-5 looks like the runner up, but there is
substantial savings to be had going AL+FP-5 and buying a couple extra
tanks of fuel- Add the simpler UI (Only tells me what I need to know-
am I frying my engine?), simple install, and rock-bottom prices, and
I'm definitely leaning towards that route.

FWIW, My dream would be to just go ahead and buy an MVP-50, 337 it
until EI gets the STC, then grandfather it in. I love what I've heard
about the MVP-50... but The more I think about it, the more I simply
can't afford to blow 5k on engine instrumentation at this moment.

My other option would be to try and go for something like a Dynon
engine monitor and pray to god my local FAA rep approves a 337 for
it... I think the chances of that fall somewhere between 'probably
not' and 'snowball's chance in hell'... but it'd only be ~2500 and it
would allow me to replace all the legacy gauges (not to mention
high-pressure fuel-lines in the cockpit).

The MVP has the tremendous advantage over the using all TSOed/STCed
components (instruments, etc), so I'd imagine 337 approval for it might
be more forthcoming.

Anyways... that's enough rambling for me. Again - feedback would be
appreciated.

Old November 8th 06, 02:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.products
Jim Burns[_1_]

Watch for his No Reserve auctions. I think he puts one of each unit on a No
Reserve auction every month, then the remainder of the month they are sold
with a reserve of the average price.
Jim

oups.com...

Old June 13th 13, 10:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

On Wednesday, November 8, 2006 8:30:22 AM UTC-5, Jim Burns wrote:
Watch for his No Reserve auctions. I think he puts one of each unit on a No
Reserve auction every month, then the remainder of the month they are sold
with a reserve of the average price.
Jim

oups.com...

"EridanMan" wrote in message
[...]

I had an AL instrument in my plane, it wasn't bad, but it was missing some features that I wanted. Shane provides the absolute worse customer service of anyone that I have ever dealt with in the aviation world. So, if you install it and it works, you may be all set, but if you need any customer support, best of luck to you.

Bruce Green