Scared of mid-airs

Old August 16th 06, 06:01 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Roger[_4_]

Default Scared of mid-airs

On Tue, 15 Aug 2006 16:35:38 GMT, "Steven P. McNicoll"
wrote:

"Skylune" wrote in message
alkaboutaviation.com...

Now that would be a more appropriate use of our tax dollars than
continually subsidizing these GA airports that are used mainly by
recreational, amateur pilots.

What GA airports are being subsidized?

Most of them!

We're doing a runway resurfacing. Actually it's more of a rebuilding
of 18/36. Out of about 3/4 million I think the state pays 10%, we
(The city) pay 5% and the Feds the rest.

(N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
www.rogerhalstead.com

Old August 16th 06, 10:21 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Steven P. McNicoll[_1_]

"Roger" wrote in message
news

What GA airports are being subsidized?

Most of them!

What airport? What data did you use to support that conclusion?

We're doing a runway resurfacing. Actually it's more of a rebuilding
of 18/36. Out of about 3/4 million I think the state pays 10%, we
(The city) pay 5% and the Feds the rest.

But the 85% the Feds pay is from taxes on aviation. Where's the subsidy?

Old August 16th 06, 04:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Larry Dighera

On Wed, 16 Aug 2006 09:21:25 GMT, "Steven P. McNicoll"
wrote in
. net:

But the 85% the Feds pay is from taxes on aviation.

What data did you use to come to that conclusion?

Old August 19th 06, 06:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Larry Dighera

On Wed, 16 Aug 2006 16:10:00 GMT, "Steven P. McNicoll"
wrote in
. net:

"Larry Dighera" wrote in message
.. .
On Wed, 16 Aug 2006 09:21:25 GMT, "Steven P. McNicoll"
wrote in
. net:

But the 85% the Feds pay is from taxes on aviation.

What data did you use to come to that conclusion?

FAA Order 5100.38C

That 318 page document is available on-line he
http://www.faa.gov/airports_airtraff.../aip_handbook/

From what I read in that document, it seems you are correct, despite
my recollection of reading someplace that the fuel/ticket tax only
funded about half of annual ATC costs.
Old August 20th 06, 05:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.military
Larry Dighera

On Sun, 06 Aug 2006 18:13:39 GMT, Ed Rasimus
wrote in
:

The investigation determines who is responsible. There was an
investigation. It was conducted in great detail. Mr. Dighera is
unwilling to accept the outcome of the investigation. I am unwilling
to accept the outcome of the OJ trial.

So the "justice" applied in the OJ trial is the level the military
aspires to:

http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercu...a/15314278.htm
Posted on Sat, Aug. 19, 2006
Some prosecutors, victims seeking justice outside military system
MARTHA MENDOZA
Associated Press

Dissatisfied with the military's handling of sexual assault cases
involving recruiters, some local prosecutors and victims are
challenging the misconduct on their own, charging everything from
a violation of an Indian treaty to racketeering.

Most such cases are handled administratively by the military - for
example, 13 of the 19 Air Force recruiters whose misconduct was
confirmed since 2004 received letters of reprimand in their
personnel files and fines that ranged from $200 to $1,200.

In seeking greater penalties, victims and local authorities have
taken unusual tacks.

In another case, prosecutor Barbara Trathen of Hamilton County,
Ind., has charged National Guard recruiter Sgt. Eric Vetesy -
accused of assaulting seven young women - with racketeering along
with 31 charges of rape and sexual battery. His trial is scheduled
for later this summer.

Vetesy, a married father of three, met most of his alleged
victims, ages 16 to 20, while recruiting at Indianapolis-area high
schools, according to the indictment. Victims told the grand jury
he threw them against a wall of the armory, raped them on a
countertop and forced them to fondle him.

One of the victims, 17, shared portions of her handwritten journal
with the AP.

"I lost my virginity to (the recruiter) ... in the back room on
the sofa. I didn't want to have sex but I didn't want him to be
upset with me and make me go all the way back to my old recruiter.
He was also the type of guy to bad mouth a person if he didn't get
what he wanted," she wrote about their first encounter.

Both recruiters were demoted after court-martial proceedings, but
acquitted of the most serious charges they faced. Both have since
left the military.

More he
http://www.wtopnews.com/index.php?nid=104&sid=886674
Military Recruiters Cited for Misconduct
Aug 20th - 1:12am

By MARTHA MENDOZA
AP National Writer

(AP) - More than 100 young women who expressed interest in joining
the military in the past year were preyed upon sexually by their
recruiters. Women were raped on recruiting office couches,
assaulted in government cars and groped en route to entrance
exams.

A six-month Associated Press investigation found that more than 80
military recruiters were disciplined last year for sexual
misconduct with potential enlistees. The cases occurred across all
branches of the military and in all regions of the country.

"This should never be allowed to happen," said one 18-year-old
victim. "The recruiter had all the power. He had the uniform. He
had my future. I trusted him."

At least 35 Army recruiters, 18 Marine Corps recruiters, 18 Navy
recruiters and 12 Air Force recruiters were disciplined for sexual
misconduct or other inappropriate behavior with potential
enlistees in 2005, according to records obtained by the AP under
dozens of Freedom of Information Act requests. That's
significantly more than the handful of cases disclosed in the past
decade.

The AP also found:

_The Army, which accounts for almost half of the military, has had
722 recruiters accused of rape and sexual misconduct since 1996.

_Across all services, one out of 200 frontline recruiters _ the
ones who deal directly with young people _ was disciplined for
sexual misconduct last year.

_Some cases of improper behavior involved romantic relationships,
and sometimes those relationships were initiated by the women.

_Most recruiters found guilty of sexual misconduct are disciplined
administratively, facing a reduction in rank or forfeiture of pay;
military and civilian prosecutions are rare.

_The increase in sexual misconduct incidents is consistent with
overall recruiter wrongdoing, which has increased from just over
400 cases in 2004 to 630 cases in 2005, according to a General
Accounting Office report released this week.

Not all of the victims are young women. Former Navy recruiter
Joseph Sampy, 27, of Jeanerette, La., is serving a 12-year
sentence for molesting three male recruits.

"He did something wrong, something terrible to people who were the
most vulnerable," State District Judge Lori Landry said before
handing down the sentence in July, 2005. "He took advantage of his
authority."

One of Sampy's victims is suing him and the Navy for $1.25
million. The trial is scheduled for next spring.

___

http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercu...a/15314281.htm