Hold "as published"?

Old September 22nd 03, 08:29 PM
David Brooks

"Chip Jones" wrote in message
hlink.net...

"David Megginson" wrote in message
"Steven P. McNicoll" writes:

You don't want to NORDO to squawk 7600?

Certainly not continuously, it sets off a very annoying alarm in

terminal
facilities. I'd squawk 7600 for about a minute and then go back to my
assigned discrete code. It avoids that nasty alarm and aids tracking

in
enroute facilities. One minute is plenty of time to make ATC aware

that
you're NORDO, if they didn't know already, and they're going to

consider
you
NORDO until they hear from you.

That's interesting. What do the other controllers in the group think?

From and enroute perspective, I agree with Steven. A 7600 code doesn't

set
off an annoying alarm in the ARTCC, but it does flash and brighten the
tarfegt to get the Center controller's visual attention. As a

non-discrete
code, over a long haul flight it becomes more labor intensive to track you
on 7600. Sure, we can do it (and do) but it would be easier IMO if you
returned to your discrete code after squawking 7600 for a minute or two.

Chip, ZTL

Makes sense, but who's going to modify AIM 6-4-2 on behalf of the many
pilots who can't get a controller perspective?

-- David Brooks

Old September 23rd 03, 09:31 PM
Chip Jones

"David Brooks" wrote in message
"Chip Jones" wrote in message
hlink.net...

[snipped]

From and enroute perspective, I agree with Steven. A 7600 code doesn't

set
off an annoying alarm in the ARTCC, but it does flash and brighten the
tarfegt to get the Center controller's visual attention. As a

non-discrete
code, over a long haul flight it becomes more labor intensive to track

you
on 7600. Sure, we can do it (and do) but it would be easier IMO if you
returned to your discrete code after squawking 7600 for a minute or two.

Chip, ZTL

Makes sense, but who's going to modify AIM 6-4-2 on behalf of the many
pilots who can't get a controller perspective?

Don Brown? :-)

Chip, ZTL

Old November 13th 03, 02:32 PM
Steven P. McNicoll

"Ray Andraka" wrote in message

All the more reason to have a handheld comm, a handheld GPS (turned on

using
ship's power for the whole flight so you don't have to wait for it to find
itself), and plenty of fresh batteries.

If you have a handheld comm you're not NORDO.

Old November 13th 03, 03:19 PM
John T

"Steven P. McNicoll" wrote in message
link.net

If you have a handheld comm you're not NORDO.

You may as well be if the handheld doesn't have the power to reach ATC.

--
John T
http://tknowlogy.com/tknoFlyer