GPS accuracy

Old January 13th 05, 05:09 PM

Default GPS accuracy

This question is motivated by the recent discussion about deriving
polars from flight logs.

We know that GPS fixes have some amount of (absolute) error. What is
their accuracy relative to each other? In other words, when I'm
analyzing flight logs, how accurately can I calculate something like
sink rate using just the GPS fixes ("B" records)?

I'm thinking about taking an early morning tow sometime this winter
when the pressure is high and the air is stable (at least vertically)
so I can calculate my actual polar, but I don't want to waste time and
money on this if the flight log isn't good enough. (And a few cockpit
notes of course -- IAS at various times, etc).

Old January 13th 05, 11:53 PM

Ah. I knew that. I'd have to use the pressure altitudes from the B
records.

But these have to be adjusted .. the OAT must be recorded at the
various altitudes and used to adjust the pressure altitudes to
SL/standard atmosphere. Can anyone fill me in on how to do that?

Old January 14th 05, 02:35 PM
Papa3

"But these have to be adjusted .. the OAT must be recorded at the
various altitudes and used to adjust the pressure altitudes to
SL/standard atmosphere. Can anyone fill me in on how to do that?"

Why? You're not concerned with absolute (True) altitude; just a delta
between contiguous points. As long as you're flying through a sharp
frontal boundary during your measurements, I can't see how this will
matter. It's been a while since I actually did these manually, but Rho
(density) cancels out in a ratio of Lift to Drag, no?

L = 1/2RhoV2 CL S
D = 1/2 Rho V2 CD S

In any case, there are a number of places to get the gas law equations
to convert to ISA. Google on ISA conversion formula or somesuch - I
got several.

P3

D=

Old January 14th 05, 02:40 PM
Papa3

Should have writtent "NOT flying through a sharp frontal boundary..."

EGT Accuracy O. Sami Saydjari Owning 6 March 16th 04 10:53 PM
Garmin 196 and Land Accuracy Crispy3M Products 5 March 14th 04 01:57 PM
ILS instrument accuracy? Help...... TripFarmer Instrument Flight Rules 19 September 22nd 03 08:26 PM
MS FS 2002 Pro - scenery accuracy and the VFR UK scenery Gary Simulators 4 July 15th 03 03:34 PM