A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

JWGC USA update

Old December 17th 15, 04:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot)
external usenet poster

Default JWGC USA update

On Thursday, December 17, 2015 at 9:56:15 AM UTC-5, Papa3 wrote:
I'm very aware of the work you're doing on the Grand Prix idea. It's freakin' fantastic!

My point is just that we need to balance our objectives. The typical "low-key regionals" has a very varied level of pilot abilities and ambitions. Maybe we need to promote some contests as more AT-heavy and see what happens.

A side thought. I set up the Fairfield regionals this year with a "Gold Class" and a "Silver Class" rather than traditional equipment-based lines. It was clearly stated that the Gold Class would use more ambitious tasking, and it's where I called the Assigned Task (1 out of 4, so only 25%) and a long MAT that was supposed to be just about an Assigned Task (but the weather was actually even better than forecast, so people had more optional time than optimal).

Perhaps that approach in some smaller regionals might be better than having 3 small classes split by span/type? State that the Gold Class will use more ambitious tasking and more ATs.

Just a thought.

P3

On Thursday, December 17, 2015 at 1:20:08 AM UTC-5, Sean Fidler wrote:
OK...Ill bite.

I actually already have! Check out this AMAZING website. www.sgp.aero/usa2016 - The FIRST EVER FAI Sailplane Grand Prix USA 2016 to be held next July 24th -31st. It has been sold out for many months now...

Numerous top ranked FAI pilots will be traveling to the USA next summer (more internation pilots than have been to the USA, for a non world championship event, in a VERY long time I imagine...). Pilots from Australia, Germany, Britain, etc. Over 10 of these international competitors (not including Canada) have applied to fly our FAI Sailplane Grand Prix USA. Unfortunatly, per the FAI SGP rules, only 5 international competitors will be accepted (of 20 total pilots in the contest). Wow. Imagine that. Top international pilots signing up for a US contest in Ionia, MI! An assigned task only contest clearly creating STRONG demand for top international pilots to travel to Ionia, MI USA and fly an assigned task only contest. An assinged task only event (in the USA!) which was sold out and significantly overbooked OVER A YEAR BEFOR THE CONTEST BEGINS! Hmmm. I wonder why that could be?

We also have almost 25 US and Canadian pilots in the que. They are in the process of being widdled down to the max of 15 based on SSA rankings (becuase the SSA stoped maintaining the FAI information...sigh)

Clearly, there is strong demand for ASSIGNED TASKS in the USA. Perhaps even more demand would exist if SGP USA was hosted by a more exotic location.

Personally I would rather do a grand prix match race with one other glider friend in Ionia than go to a regional contest that will only run timed, wide area TAT "weather skill" tasks. Hell, I would rather practice an assigned task by myself (something I do all the time) or try a state record flight than go to a TAT, MAT only contest. In all my contests over the last 5 years, I think I have only done 5-6 assinged tasks. I am SICK of timed, area tasks. I am probably not alone..............

I hear you. Many cry (like children at times) about assigned tasks (even though we very rarely run them at all). Some phycisally cower when assigned tasks are even "hinted at" even if the weather forecast is enormously good. Its amazing how fearful many seem to be. Just because many protest against or threaten not to attend a contests if assigned tasks are possible does not make them justified in their strong resistance. I think assigned task (rather than just going to the best weather) make pilots better cross country pilots. I think they gave great value to newer cross country pilots. I think flying only to the best weather makes a pilot quite weak at certain areas. Assigned tasks are very rewarding and yes, sometimes, difficult. You might even land out once in awhile. So what. There is a reason they do 50% ASTs at major contests wordwide. I think an "assigned tasks lives matter" T shirt is coming! ;-)

I believe that we should strive to have at least 20% assigned tasks in the USA, not 3%. Still a small fraction (20% vs. 50%) of general international levels, but nearly 7x more than are run in the US today. There is good value, as a country, to remaining proficient in assigned tasks. We cannot purely focus on broad weather strategy, computer management task. And it is a total misconception that this value is only for the US team pilots who have to go to world championships where 50% of the task are likely to be AST.

Im really getting tired of this conversation. But I think its a important one.

The USA runs 3% NOT TIMED TASKS and 97% timed tasks. Say that 10 times for me. This is undisputed data and is not proportional to the desires of all US glider pilots, despite what the pollsters are trying to sell us.

Sean

This is like the old "Little guys meet" that Blairstown and a couple others used to run at least once a season.
It was run on 2 consecutive weekends.
We had a typical morning meeting, task calls (Gold class & Silver class sorta based on experience & equipment), task sheets, turnpoint photo's, etc.
Just like a "real contest" but no ranking involved.

Lots of fun and a good learning experience as well.

[If you were game, "Liars dice" in the evening.......]

PS, P3, you flew in those, didn't you? That was my start, flying "002" before my 1st real regional @ HHSC.... me in a ASW-20A, UH in a borrowed 1-35 (MS).
Old December 18th 15, 04:26 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Sean Fidler
external usenet poster

Default JWGC USA update

I love the idea of gold, silver etc. Makes good sense. I love the idea of the "handicapped assigned tasks" too which change the distance of the points on various radials to create level distances for each handicap level (I think this how it works...).

But overall the whole reason I got into soaring was the enjoyment of "racing" with fellow pilots to specific turnpoints in Michigan. I was hooked. But, sadly, now that I fly organized US contests, assigned racing tasks have turned out to be extremely rare and still shrinking while the rest of the world runs them like crazy.

Hat tip to the our US Junior team for sure. They did an outstanding job. In part due to their great performance, I think energy is building enough to restart the idea of an organized junior camp or perhaps even a US Junior nationals in the not to distant future. Fingers crossed...

Sean
Old December 20th 15, 03:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Craig Reinholt
external usenet poster

Default JWGC USA update

Congratulations to all participants. I'm looking forward to your next JWGC in Lithuania.
Here are some thoughtful comments about the final day by Tom Arscott. Very insightful regarding tactics and risk.
https://www.facebook.com/britishglid...72053282851635

Old December 21st 15, 04:07 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Sean Fidler
external usenet poster

Default JWGC USA update

"Big sectors, close together in a relatively short AAT can be a recipe for a bit of a lottery, and there was a lot to be gained or lost on the last day." Well said kid! A "bit" of a lottery? You don't say! ;-)

Great report. These are all extremely bright kids, especially our US guys who don't yet have all the tools and practice opportunities that many of these other top junior teams enjoy. If we can somehow narrow this margin, our juniors will be right in there in 2017. They also get a final chance in 2019. What a great goal! As a country, the USA would really benefit from increasing the support for our Junior team (and expanding it) moving forward.
Old December 21st 15, 03:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
GeneReinecke
external usenet poster

Default JWGC USA update

On Sunday, December 20, 2015 at 8:33:42 AM UTC-7, Craig Reinholt wrote:
Congratulations to all participants. I'm looking forward to your next JWGC in Lithuania.
Here are some thoughtful comments about the final day by Tom Arscott. Very insightful regarding tactics and risk.

Just an excerpt from the young winner's thank yous:
Firstly, on behalf of the whole team, I need to thank our generous sponsors, without whom this would not have been possible. The British Gliding Association for all their support, including entering us in to the comp and transporting our gliders, British Airways for flying the whole team across the world, Land Rover for providing us with a Discovery for the comp, Apogee for lending and fitting us out a container to transport all of our equipment, and Sydney Charles, Lasham Gliding Society, Naviter and Navboys for supporting the team throughout the year.
Where are the US team sponsors? Jeep, Delta Air Lines, a US shipping company, etc. Hello? Is there any marketing benefit to these organizations to sponsor a US team in the future? Any marketing gurus out there that might want to tackle this? Or do we want soaring in the US to remain a middle aged (and up) guys' sport for those who can afford it?
Gene
Old December 22nd 15, 05:15 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Sean Fidler
external usenet poster

Default JWGC USA update

Exactly right. We must have 25 Delta pilots in our ranks. If its a value to BA, its probably of some value to Delta (or some of the others). And so on, and so on, and so on...

You miss 100% of the shots you do not try................

Sean

On Monday, December 21, 2015 at 10:34:27 AM UTC-5, GeneReinecke wrote:

Firstly, on behalf of the whole team, I need to thank our generous sponsors, without whom this would not have been possible. The British Gliding Association for all their support, including entering us in to the comp and transporting our gliders, British Airways for flying the whole team across the world, Land Rover for providing us with a Discovery for the comp, Apogee for lending and fitting us out a container to transport all of our equipment, and Sydney Charles, Lasham Gliding Society, Naviter and Navboys for supporting the team throughout the year.
Where are the US team sponsors? Jeep, Delta Air Lines, a US shipping company, etc. Hello? Is there any marketing benefit to these organizations to sponsor a US team in the future? Any marketing gurus out there that might want to tackle this? Or do we want soaring in the US to remain a middle aged (and up) guys' sport for those who can afford it?
Gene

Old December 22nd 15, 05:39 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JS
external usenet poster

Default JWGC USA update

Good point Gene.
Did you know about the prizes that were made available?

The GFA M&D department managed to put together an incredible package of prizes;

Brietling hats (which sell on eBay for a good price),
Milvus trousers,
CloudDancer wing covers and canopy covers,
Smart watches
and in addition for the winner of each class a one week all expenses paid trip to South Africa to fly a JS1.

A class act.
Jim

On Monday, December 21, 2015 at 7:34:27 AM UTC-8, GeneReinecke wrote:

Gene