Dumb GPS Question

Old November 23rd 07, 02:45 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
William Bruce

Default Dumb GPS Question

I've just bought a TomTom GPS for my car with preloaded road maps of the US
and Canada. My question: Will it work in my 172 at 3,000 to 5,000 feet,
showing the roads below, etc?

Old November 23rd 07, 02:55 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

On Nov 22, 6:45 pm, "William Bruce" wrote:
I've just bought a TomTom GPS for my car with preloaded road maps of the US
and Canada. My question: Will it work in my 172 at 3,000 to 5,000 feet,
showing the roads below, etc?

It better.. :))
Old November 23rd 07, 09:36 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Thomas Borchert

William,

Will it work in my 172 at 3,000 to 5,000 feet,
showing the roads below, etc?

Sure. Following the turn-by-turn instructions will be rather
inefficient flying, however. Might be a great way to build time, though
;-)

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Old November 23rd 07, 01:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Ron Rosenfeld

On Thu, 22 Nov 2007 19:45:50 -0600, "William Bruce"
wrote:

I've just bought a TomTom GPS for my car with preloaded road maps of the US
and Canada. My question: Will it work in my 172 at 3,000 to 5,000 feet,
showing the roads below, etc?

My Garmin Nuvi does. On the "stats" page, it shows my maximum speed of
about 210 mph!
--ron
Old November 23rd 07, 03:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Paul Tomblin

In a previous article, "William Bruce" said:
I've just bought a TomTom GPS for my car with preloaded road maps of the US
and Canada. My question: Will it work in my 172 at 3,000 to 5,000 feet,
showing the roads below, etc?

There was a time when Garmin GPSes meant for terrestrial use would cut out
at around 100mph, which limited their usefulness for aviation. But that
was a long time ago. It's doubtful that TomTom did that same stupid
thing.

There is an on-line book at http://www.cockpitgps.com/ that has some
information about using non-aviation GPS in aviation.

--
Paul Tomblin http://blog.xcski.com/
I wouldn't be surprised if I'd have to put garlic in the CD drawer
Old November 23rd 07, 06:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jim Macklin

But it will tell you where the $500 hamburger is!

Old November 23rd 07, 07:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dave[_5_]

On Nov 22, 8:45 pm, "William Bruce" wrote:
I've just bought a TomTom GPS for my car with preloaded road maps of the US
and Canada. My question: Will it work in my 172 at 3,000 to 5,000 feet,
showing the roads below, etc?

It will, but a better way to use it is to zoom out to show your
position in relation to towns, cities and geographic features - in
other words, Situational Awareness. A terrestrial GPS is a good
backup, but one with an aviation database is vastly more useful for
flying (IMHO).

David Johnson
Old November 24th 07, 05:37 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Andrew Gideon

On Fri, 23 Nov 2007 09:36:41 +0100, Thomas Borchert wrote:

Sure. Following the turn-by-turn instructions will be rather inefficient
flying, however. Might be a great way to build time, though

There's a route through the EWR class B called the "GSP Transition".
It's not an exclusion zone; one gets clearance through from the EWR
tower. But it's a well-known path for both pilots and controllers,
following the parkway below. I've been told that this was originally for
traffic observation, but I don't know that that's true.

I was flying this with a CFI once when he pointed out that one doesn't
have to follow the road as precisely as I was. But that's the fun!

- Andrew
Old November 25th 07, 11:19 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
John[_1_]

On Nov 23, 9:37 am, (Paul Tomblin) wrote:
In a previous article, "William Bruce" said:

I've just bought a TomTom GPS for my car with preloaded road maps of the US
and Canada. My question: Will it work in my 172 at 3,000 to 5,000 feet,
showing the roads below, etc?

There was a time when Garmin GPSes meant for terrestrial use would cut out
at around 100mph, which limited their usefulness for aviation. But that
was a long time ago. It's doubtful that TomTom did that same stupid
thing.

There is an on-line book athttp://www.cockpitgps.com/that has some
information about using non-aviation GPS in aviation.

--
Paul Tomblin http://blog.xcski.com/
I wouldn't be surprised if I'd have to put garlic in the CD drawer
to really get rid of it.
-- Arthur van der Harg on 'Gator'

Garmin doesnt do that anymore . . . . I have seen over 700 kts on my
Garmin . . . once in a United 737, it must have been a mother of a
tailwind. This is back several years ago when some airlines were ok
with GPS in the cabin.

Take care . . .

John
Old November 26th 07, 12:56 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Andrew Sarangan

On Nov 22, 8:45 pm, "William Bruce" wrote:
I've just bought a TomTom GPS for my car with preloaded road maps of the US
and Canada. My question: Will it work in my 172 at 3,000 to 5,000 feet,
showing the roads below, etc?

I have tried Tomtom (on Dell AXIM) on an airplane and it doesn't work.
It will get a fix of your position, and you can watch yourself fly
across roads, lakes and rivers. But you can't ask it to navigate
anywhere. In order to compute a route, you have to stand still for a
while (for long routes this could take a couple of minutes). In the
very least you should stay on one road while it is computing. Since
you are obviously not doing any of this while flying, the program will
never finish computing the route. My screen just said "computing
route" with a progress bar for a very long time. When it seemed like
it was getting close to the end, it would start all over again, and
the cycle never stopped. My guess is by the time it computed a route,
we were far from that position and an entirely new route had to be
computed. This may also have something to do with the processing
speed of the Dell AXIM. However, even if you ran this on a faster
platform, it might still be constantly recomputing a new route because
you are obviously not following any of its suggested routes. One
possibility is to fly over a highway in a sparse area, and it may be
fooled into thinking that you are actually on that road. But that
might also be hard to do because it is quite sensitive to your
position. If it thinks you are off the road, it is going to start
recomputing again. It was fun trying it, but I can't see how this can
be made to work.

If you really need to find a street while flying, the best approach is
to insert the lat/lon co-ordinates into a regular GPS.

Dumb Question JohnO Rotorcraft 11 December 24th 06 07:46 PM
Heres a dumb question John Huthmaker Piloting 12 March 11th 06 08:44 PM
Dumb Reg question John Gaquin Piloting 67 May 4th 05 04:54 AM
Dumb Transponder Question! John P Owning 2 March 30th 04 01:26 AM
Dumb Canard Question. Russell Kent Home Built 39 October 19th 03 03:25 PM