Google aviation ads

Old February 6th 06, 03:38 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default Google aviation ads

Unfortunately, my only access to Usenet from this place is through
Google Groups. Our firewall blocks everything else. It is not so bad,
but I notice that the first three advertisements that are shown next to
the thread are from aviation injury lawyers all promising big
settlements for people injured in small planes.

Kind of depressing.

Old February 6th 06, 02:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Apparently there aren't enough car accidents to go around?

Old February 6th 06, 04:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

cjcampbell wrote:

Unfortunately, my only access to Usenet from this place is through
Google Groups. Our firewall blocks everything else. It is not so bad,
but I notice that the first three advertisements that are shown next to
the thread are from aviation injury lawyers all promising big
settlements for people injured in small planes.

Use Firefox as your browser, then download the "Customize Google" free
extension. In the options for this extension is a tab for Google Groups.
Check the "Remove Ads" check box and no more ads. This extension will
remove ads for any of the Google search engines.

I realize that the point of your post was probably a bit more cerebral, but
in the event that you want ad-free group browsing, there you go.

--
Peter
Old February 6th 06, 04:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

"cjcampbell" wrote in message
ups.com...
Unfortunately, my only access to Usenet from this place is through
Google Groups. Our firewall blocks everything else. It is not so bad,
but I notice that the first three advertisements that are shown next to
the thread are from aviation injury lawyers all promising big
settlements for people injured in small planes.

That's odd. The Google ads I get for the treadmill thread are for pneumatic
conveying, nursery/greenhouse equipment, and parts and washers recycling.

The ads that show up on Jay's OT thread are "Visit the land of Krishna",
"Free ministerial license", and "New Dimensions Radio".

--Gary

Old February 6th 06, 05:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Google stockholders can click on those ads and Google gets revenue
(with NO expense other than a little time by the stockholders).

Old February 6th 06, 07:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

"Peter R." wrote in message
I realize that the point of your post was probably a bit more cerebral,
but
in the event that you want ad-free group browsing, there you go.

I suspect his point was to comment on what *other* people see, not what he
himself sees.

Turning off the ads locally doesn't change the fact that the advertisements
Google connects with aviation newsgroups are for injury lawyers.

On the bright side, we can still see your posts now.

Pete

Old February 6th 06, 07:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

"Doug" wrote in message
oups.com...
Google stockholders can click on those ads and Google gets revenue
(with NO expense other than a little time by the stockholders).

They only get revenue from Google stockholders?

Seems like a poor business model to me.

Old February 7th 06, 06:59 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

"Peter Duniho" wrote in message
"Doug" wrote in message
oups.com...
Google stockholders can click on those ads and Google gets revenue
(with NO expense other than a little time by the stockholders).

They only get revenue from Google stockholders?

Seems like a poor business model to me.

I think what he was saying is that every time an ad is clicked then Google
charges the advertiser some amount. If that is true then it makes sense for
Google stockholders to just click on ads to drive up revenue. Anyway, it
got me thinking if the Google advertisement medium is cost-effective for a
company, especially a small company.

Old February 7th 06, 11:04 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Peter R. wrote:
cjcampbell wrote:

Unfortunately, my only access to Usenet from this place is through
Google Groups. Our firewall blocks everything else. It is not so bad,
but I notice that the first three advertisements that are shown next to
the thread are from aviation injury lawyers all promising big
settlements for people injured in small planes.

Use Firefox as your browser, then download the "Customize Google" free
extension.

A helpful suggestion. I will look to see if Firefox has a version for
OS X.

Old February 8th 06, 01:56 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Peter Duniho wrote:

Turning off the ads locally doesn't change the fact that the advertisements
Google connects with aviation newsgroups are for injury lawyers.

Good point.

On the bright side, we can still see your posts now.

Giganews is very good. I should have changed Usenet service providers
sooner.

--
Peter

ATC User Fees Larry Dighera Piloting 80 May 12th 05 07:20 AM
Aviation Books&CD Roms FS [email protected] Home Built 0 April 10th 05 10:29 PM
General Aviation Legal Defense Fund Dr. Guenther Eichhorn Aerobatics 0 May 11th 04 10:43 PM
General Aviation Legal Defense Fund Dr. Guenther Eichhorn Owning 0 May 11th 04 10:43 PM