CNC or Laser cut instrument panel

Old October 12th 04, 08:41 PM
Bill Daniels

Default CNC or Laser cut instrument panel

I need a small ( approx 18" square ) panel cut for an experimental
sailplane. Can anybody suggest a good source?

Old October 13th 04, 12:40 AM
Errol Groff

If you can send me a drawing (dimensioned sketch is OK) I can
probably help you out.

This is the sort of project that is a good learning tool fro my
students.

Anyone else who needs similar work please take note!

Costs will be far less than sending it out to a commercial machine
shop.

Accurate is our forte. Fast is not, so plan far ahead!

Errol Groff

Instructor, Machine Tool Department
H.H. Ellis Regional Technical School
Danielson, CT 06239

860 774 8511 x1811

Old October 13th 04, 01:49 AM
Ross Oliver

On Tue, 12 Oct 2004 19:41:28 GMT, Bill Daniels wrote:
I need a small ( approx 18" square ) panel cut for an experimental
sailplane. Can anybody suggest a good source?

Have a look at this web site:

www.emachineshop.com

I have not tried them yet, but the idea looks cool.

Old October 13th 04, 06:16 PM
JohnT.

Also consider having it water jetted. Like laser cut, but uses a high
pressure jet of water with abrasives in it.

John

Old October 13th 04, 06:31 PM
Bill Daniels

"JohnT." wrote in message
Also consider having it water jetted. Like laser cut, but uses a high
pressure jet of water with abrasives in it.

John

At this point, I would consider anything. I've been talking to some of the
dumbest phone sales people I can imagine. I've e-mailed the CAD file to 20
or so firms that advertise "custom panels" and, so far, no replies except
for one local CNC shop that quoted $855 for the 9-hole 18" panel in .125"
sheet.

Bill Daniels

Old October 13th 04, 06:58 PM
Richard Isakson

"Bill Daniels" wrote ...
At this point, I would consider anything. I've been talking to some of

the
dumbest phone sales people I can imagine. I've e-mailed the CAD file to

20
or so firms that advertise "custom panels" and, so far, no replies except
for one local CNC shop that quoted $855 for the 9-hole 18" panel in .125"
sheet.

This is a homebuilt group. Have you considered building it yourself?

Rich

Old October 13th 04, 07:15 PM
Bill Daniels

"Richard Isakson" wrote in message
"Bill Daniels" wrote ...
At this point, I would consider anything. I've been talking to some of

the
dumbest phone sales people I can imagine. I've e-mailed the CAD file to

20
or so firms that advertise "custom panels" and, so far, no replies

except
for one local CNC shop that quoted $855 for the 9-hole 18" panel in

..125"
sheet.

This is a homebuilt group. Have you considered building it yourself?

Rich

Yes. I have made several panels but the CNC or laser cut panels are so much
higher quality than what I can make with a bandsaw, drill press and sander.

Bill Daniels

Old October 13th 04, 07:21 PM
W P Dixon

I was wondering the same thing myself , a panel is not hard to make at all.
If you have built an airplane the panel should be about the easiest part.
Are you planning on building this panel out of a special material? If it's
metal I would do it myself.

Patrick

Old October 13th 04, 08:12 PM
Bill Daniels

The panel has to be .125" 7075 because it is a structural member. This is
NOT easy stuff to cut.

The last time is did this, I used a milling machine with a fly cutter to
make the instrument holes. Now all I have is a drill press. The tools that
I would need to buy to do this simple job will cost more than the job
'should' cost from a CNC or waterjet shop.

bildan

Old October 13th 04, 10:01 PM
Morgans

"Bill Daniels" wrote in message
The panel has to be .125" 7075 because it is a structural member. This is
NOT easy stuff to cut.

The last time is did this, I used a milling machine with a fly cutter to
make the instrument holes. Now all I have is a drill press. The tools

that
I would need to buy to do this simple job will cost more than the job
'should' cost from a CNC or waterjet shop.

bildan

Aluminum can be cut on ANY woodworking tool, so I would cut it with a table
saw, (or radial arm) slightly oversize, then run the edge across the jointer
(or router table) to clean up the edge, if it has to be beautiful. The
holes could be cut with a high quality hole saw (under 40 bucks), and you
could make a template for the mounting holes, and you would be all set. Not
that hard, is it?
--
Jim in NC

---

Instrument mounting question Rob Turk Home Built 4 July 19th 04 10:33 PM
Panel Lights - Need Help Barnyard BOb - Home Built 2 May 29th 04 07:51 PM
Panel lighting Corky Scott Home Built 5 March 6th 04 12:22 AM
Aluminum instrument panel finish? Richard Riley Home Built 31 February 4th 04 02:09 AM
CAD outline of Rans S6S instrument panel? Rob Turk Home Built 2 October 21st 03 09:27 PM