Instrument panel labelling options

Old November 18th 04, 10:19 AM
B2431

From: "smjmitchell"
Date: 11/16/2004 02:38 Central Standard Time

snip

Finally .... in backlit panels which sometimes mount circuit breakers there
is another interesting technique used. The panel is machined from a clear
acrylic. The letters for the placards are routed into the surface. The whole
panel is finished in matt black (in our case usually an NVG compatible
paint) and then a white wax material is rubbed into the groves of the
letters so that they show white against a black background. Lights then
shine through the plastic from the rear illuminating the panel. This last
one is not a homebuildable technique but I thought you might be interested.

I have had excellent experience using translucent white plexiglass. I don't
recall seeing waxy substances in any illuminated panel in my 20 years in the
Air Farce, but I could be wrong. On some aircraft with the lamps embeded in the
plexiglass there is no engraving on the front. It appears simply to have been
silkscreened so light shows through the lettering.

I have taken apart several internally lit cylindrical instruments for the
synchros etc. The dial illuminates through a plexiglass face that appears silk
screened. The lamps, usually at least 2, are inserted into a thick white
plexiglass blockin contact with the face. The pointer is plexiglass and the
light enters from behind through its center disc. I bring this up in case
anyone wants to make illuminated knobs. I have seen them on several aircaft and
it's a nice touch.

Dan, U.S. Air Force, retired

Old November 18th 04, 10:42 PM
Blueskies

Build your own silk screen setup. Looks like it can be done for not all that much. Use the photo sensitive stuff and
your printer...
http://members.aol.com/StanDCmr/silkscrn.html

"John Galban" wrote in message om...
My buddy and I were putting the finishing touches on the RV-10
instrument panel this weekend, when we got to wondering about how to
label the breakers.

He's found a place across town that will silk screen the lettering
onto the painted panel. This presents a bit a of a pain in the butt
logistically and will also be pricey.

We were wondering if there are any good "do-it-yourself" ways to put
lettering on the instrument panel. On the RV-6 he used a label maker
with clear tape and black lettering. This looked good at first, but
the label material eventually yellowed and the labels proved to be
very difficult to remove and replace without scratching the panel's
paint.

So, does anyone have any recommendations? We're open to
suggestions.

Thanks,

John Galban=====N4BQ (PA28-180)

CNC or Laser cut instrument panel Bill Daniels Home Built 18 October 16th 04 12:06 PM
Panel Lights - Need Help Barnyard BOb - Home Built 2 May 29th 04 07:51 PM
Panel lighting Corky Scott Home Built 5 March 6th 04 12:22 AM
Aluminum instrument panel finish? Richard Riley Home Built 31 February 4th 04 02:09 AM
CAD outline of Rans S6S instrument panel? Rob Turk Home Built 2 October 21st 03 09:27 PM