Speed monitored by aircraft????

Old July 19th 03, 06:52 PM
Big John

Dan

Just comes down to "fly the airplane" (first and always) and I'm not
the first to say this. If you do, will probably not have these type
accidents. If you can't do that you shouldn't be fl;ying as you are a
danger both to yourself and others.

Most flying is single issue. Occasionally multiple issue problems
arise and you have to be able to parse the problems and take care of
the most important (life and death) ones first.

I have flown aircraft from put puts to super sonic and have yet to
INADVERTENLY stall an airplane. I was always able to feel (sense) when
I got into the "twilight zone" without watching the instruments and
continue to fly the aircraft within it's limits.

Shame when people die in the type of accidents you listed.

"We can make a new plane in a few years but it takes many years to
make a new pilot" (quote from source I don't remember).

Big John

On Sat, 19 Jul 2003 05:54:04 -0400, Cub Driver
wrote:

On 18 Jul 2003 18:46:02 GMT, ackatyu (Wdtabor) wrote:

prolonged slow
flight close to the ground which includes repeated 180 degree turns, by a pilot
who is distracted by the need to remain in a good viewing position for his
observer, are an invitation to disaster.

A plane crashed and killed its two occupants the other day while they
were hunting coyotes.

all the best -- Dan Ford
email:
www.danford.net/letters.htm#9

Old July 19th 03, 06:55 PM
Big John

Pete

Come to Houston and drive on our freeways.

Big John

On Fri, 18 Jul 2003 21:17:53 -0700, "Peter Duniho"
wrote:

"Peter Gottlieb" wrote in message
t...
Around here it is fairly common, especially on the highways. When I go 70
in a 55 zone most every car is blowing by me like I am standing still, and
honking as they do.

Where is "around here"? I've driven all over the country and never found
myself in an area where the median traffic speed was 30 mph over the speed
limit (I figure "blowing by me" must mean the other cars are at least as
much faster than you, as you are faster than the speed limit).

Forgive me if I'm a bit incredulous of your claim. People drive crazy, but
I've never seen them drive *that* crazy, not in the US, not as a rule ("most
every car") rather than an exception.

Pete

Old July 19th 03, 07:31 PM
Peter Duniho

"Big John" wrote in message
Come to Houston and drive on our freeways.

I have. It doesn't come close to the kind of traffic Peter describes.

Old July 19th 03, 08:35 PM
Larry Dighera

On Fri, 18 Jul 2003 06:32:26 -0700, Tim Bengtson
wrote in Message-Id:
:

Larry Dighera wrote:

In California, one could argue that the roadway markers constitute a
speed trap, as the aerial LEOs determine the speed of automobiles by
timing them between those marks.

Section 40802(a)(1): prohibits timing vehicles over a measured
distance, and 40801 makes using such evidence in assisting in a
person's arrest illegal.

The cops have a book called "Words to Use in Court".

You're making this up? :-)

In this case, the cop says that he matched the speed of the airplane
to the speed of the car, and then used the marks to confirm his own
groundspeed.

Hmmmm..... During this time, who was scanning for conflicting air
traffic? Perhaps the local FSDO might be interested in the operating
procedures employed by law enforcement...

I am not making this up.

Tim

Where can I obtain a copy of the book you mention? How about a scan
of the pertinent pages?

In this country, a 'person accused' has (had??) the right to confront
his/her accuser in a public court of law. That would be the officer
who observed the accused and signed the Notice to Appear (citation).
It would seem this might necessitate the aerial LEO landing to
complete the citation. I doubt that occurs.

I suspect, the officer on the ground is often able to pace the
motorist pointed out by the aerial LEO, and thus witnessed himself the
alleged Vehicle Code violation. It would then be appropriate for the
LEO on the ground to issue the citation.

Soon, it'll be UAVs loitering overhead in urban areas to go with the
RoboCop traffic signal cameras, and neighborhood intersection video
surveillance that already exist here.

To wit: http://www.politechbot.com/p-04920.html
"Government would have a reasonably good idea
of where everyone is most of the time."

Hang on to your hat, mate. The 21st century is gathering momentum as
it hurtles toward our Orwellian furniture. :-)

Old July 19th 03, 11:29 PM
RLB

LOL... I love the pedestrian lanes. All those dead people outlines painted
on the street and people still wanna walk there. ;-)

"John Harlow" wrote in message
Kansas used to have airplane shaped objects painted on the highway.

Maybe it was a murder scene. There are apparently many bike murders all
over town here; the outlines are all along the road.

Old July 20th 03, 12:24 AM
Tom S.

"Peter Duniho" wrote in message
"Peter Gottlieb" wrote in message
Around here it is fairly common, especially on the highways. When I go

70
in a 55 zone most every car is blowing by me like I am standing still,

and
honking as they do.

Where is "around here"? I've driven all over the country and never found
myself in an area where the median traffic speed was 30 mph over the speed
limit (I figure "blowing by me" must mean the other cars are at least as
much faster than you, as you are faster than the speed limit).

70 in a 55 is FIFTEEN over, not THIRTY.

Forgive me if I'm a bit incredulous of your claim. People drive crazy,

but
I've never seen them drive *that* crazy, not in the US, not as a rule

("most
every car") rather than an exception.

Do the math...and the original post was about someone doing 80 in a 35...45
over the limit.

A few years back my wife was hit broadside (in an Acura) by a Honda Civic
that left 93 feet of skidmarks then impacted with enough force to push her
car about fifteen feet and spin it 270 degrees. This was in a 45MPH zone.

The cops charged her since, well, she DID PULL IN FRONT OF AN ONCOMING
VEHICLE. We beat it in court by getting a accident expert to run the
diagrams and ascertain that the car was doing at least 77 and possibly 85 in
a 45 zone. Our argument was that while she DID LOOK, she was not looking,
and could not be expected to look, nearly a half mile up the street. The
cops felt it was "not worth the effort" to conduct even a moderately through
investigation since no one was killed and the injuries were only slight
(thnak you Acura!!). As long as they had someone to charge their paperwork
was all they worried about.

My point is that the 80 in a 35 is a very rare exception and this is not
what aircraft monitoring is targeting.

Old July 20th 03, 06:39 AM
Peter Duniho

"Larry Dighera" wrote in message
In this country, a 'person accused' has (had??) the right to confront
his/her accuser in a public court of law.

The standard for traffic infractions is very different than that for
criminal charges. Each state handles that flexibility differently, but the
bottom line is that for writing traffic tickets, you don't have nearly as
many rights as you would have if someone was accusing you of theft, murder,
etc.

Pete

Old July 20th 03, 06:43 AM
Peter Duniho

"Tom S." wrote in message
70 in a 55 is FIFTEEN over, not THIRTY.

True. And completely irrelevant.

You need to pay better attention. Peter was driving 70 mph. The speed
limit was 55. He claims "most every car" was "blowing by" him. Since he
wasn't specific about the actual speed at which that traffic was passing
him, I made a guess that that traffic was exceeding his speed by as much as
he was exceeding the speed limit.

He's doing 15 mph over the speed limit. The other traffic is 15 mph faster
than him. 15 plus 15 is 30.

Do the math...and the original post was about someone doing 80 in a

35...45
over the limit.

I did the math. It's not my fault you can't keep up. In any case, I didn't
reply to the original post, I replied to Peter's.

My point is that the 80 in a 35 is a very rare exception and this is not
what aircraft monitoring is targeting.

I don't really care what your point was. I wasn't replying to your post.

Pete

Old July 20th 03, 10:47 AM
Cub Driver

Come to Houston and drive on our freeways.

One time driving through Texas, I happened to glance over at the dirt
road paralleling the Interstate, and I saw that a pickup truck was
passing me.

I was going 80, which was VNE in my Volkswagen.

all the best -- Dan Ford
email: www.danford.net/letters.htm#9

see the Warbird's Forum at http://www.danford.net/index.htm
Vietnam | Flying Tigers | Pacific War | Brewster Buffalo | Piper Cub
Old July 20th 03, 02:39 PM
Larry Dighera

On Sun, 20 Jul 2003 02:17:16 -0700, "Tom S." wrote
in Message-Id: :

I don't really care what your point was. I wasn't replying to your post.

Then don't answer this one you ****ing cocksucker.

Mr. Duniho was merely having a little game of "light the flamer" and
you lost. Thanks for playing. :-)

--space

Irrational beliefs ultimately lead to irrational acts.
-- Larry Dighera,