Yet more GPS substitution questions

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old February 11th 05, 12:24 AM
Peter Clark

Default Yet more GPS substitution questions

Yet another GPS substitution question...

It's a given that you can't use GPS to shoot an approach labled "ADF
blah" unless it says "ADF or GPS blah", but how do the alternate
rules really work? The regs say that I have to have an approach that
I'm equipped for other than GPS at the alternate airport, like an ILS.
Am I correct in believing that if you need the GPS for DME, or to
identify missed approach holding points on the ILS, you still can't
use that as an alternate because the GPS is used in some way to
complete the approach?

Secondly, how about shooting this approach (VOR/DME 21 at Minuteman -
Stow, MA) - http://avn.faa.gov/d-tpp/0501/05764VD21.PDF . Assuming
that I'm shooting this as a primary approach (not my alternate), and
the aircraft doesn't have DME, what can I do with this approach?
Wouldn't I technically have to fly the approach with the HSI in VOR
mode (it doesn't say VOR or GPS, it says VOR/DME, and without an
overlay the GPS is only advisory)? But the DME is based off of the
MHT VOR. If I load the procedure into the GPS and go past the 'not a
gps approach, only advisory use' warning, now my distances are going
to be based on the waypoints the system loads up - EGORE, RW21, EGORE.
Since loading the approach for non-GPS or non-overlay approaches does
come up with the "advisory only" warning, how does it work to legally
use the GPS on this approach? It's not giving me DME from MHT, it's
not even giving me DME from EGORE, it's giving me DME to RW21, a
non-five-letter name waypoint (which should be coincident to the
threshold of the runway, and thus 25.1NM from MHT), but with the
"advisory only" warning, course guidance coming from the VOR, and the
distance references coming from something other than the DME origin
for the approach, how does this approach work? I'm sure I'm missing
something here, just curious what it is.

TIA.