ELT in LS8-b

Old September 16th 03, 10:48 AM
Ole John Aske

Default ELT in LS8-b

"Chris" none@none wrote in message
y.telekom.at...
I have to install an ELT in a LS8-b and have the problem that the
fuselage is made out of carbon fiber which shields the radio
waves from the ELT.

DG (now owner of LS) only made the suggestion of an external
(fin) antenna which looks really ugly and could be easily damaged
in an accident.

So I would like to ask how others have solved that problem.

Christian

I had mine installed by Rolladen Schneider. The ELT itself (ACK)
is installed in its own room on the right side of the backrest. - Much like
the room for the O2 bottle on the left side.

The ELT antenna is mounted on the metall frame of the hinged instrument
panel,
just behind the instruments, with an antenna cable along the bottom of
fuselage.
This arrangement is not foolproof, as you may risk that
the antenna cable will be broken in a crash. However, I suspect that
in this case you want be missing it .......

Ole John (#8415)

Old September 16th 03, 05:02 PM
Eric Greenwell

In article 3f66c0f5$0$27490$91cee783
@newsreader01.highway.telekom.at, none@none says...
I have to install an ELT in a LS8-b and have the problem that the
fuselage is made out of carbon fiber which shields the radio
waves from the ELT.

Even the area above the baggage compartment? Most gliders use
fiberglass here so GPS or ELT can be mounted there.

--
!Replace DECIMAL.POINT in my e-mail address with just a . to reply
directly

Eric Greenwell
Richland, WA (USA)
Old September 16th 03, 07:52 PM
Chris

I have to install an ELT in a LS8-b and have the problem that
the
fuselage is made out of carbon fiber which shields the radio
waves from the ELT.

Even the area above the baggage compartment? Most gliders use
fiberglass here so GPS or ELT can be mounted there.

I will check that out with DG.

Christian

Old September 17th 03, 05:30 AM
Duane Eisenbeiss

Even the area above the baggage compartment? Most gliders use
fiberglass here so GPS or ELT can be mounted there.

I will check that out with DG.

Christian

You can check it out yourself with a light bulb. The light will not shine
through a carbon fiber structure.

Duane

Old September 17th 03, 07:17 AM
Chris

am I missing some thing here? why the "Have to" have an ELT
mounted..

no required in the USA (as far as I know)

An ELT 'is' required here in Austria.

Christian

Old September 17th 03, 08:35 AM
Stefan

BTIZ wrote:

am I missing some thing here? why the "Have to" have an ELT mounted..

no required in the USA (as far as I know)

You are missing that there's life outside the USA.

Stefan
Old September 17th 03, 03:05 PM
Shaber CJ

You are missing that there's life outside the USA.

I think this is a problem imbedded in our educational system (USA). For
instance George Bush grew up wealth (trust fund baby), his father was
ambassador to China and the poor rich kid never left the country until he was
president. No intellectual curiosity, C minus student.

Travel is a great education! So is speaking to other peoples in their native
tongue. (Even if they have to help you speak their tongue). When I first
traveled to an eastern block country I was amazed at how much disinformation
our ministry of information had polluted the American public with. On a
lighter note the same is true with France. I found the French to be very warm
and friendly, I just did not require them to speak English to me. If you get
to know your enemy he may not really be your enemy.

Craig Shaber
Old September 17th 03, 03:43 PM
Nils Høimyr

Consider also the possibility of reaching the ELT so that you can switch
it on manually. (You may also install a remote control cable.) In the
case the ELT does NOT go off and you are stuck in the glider wreck with
a number of broken bones this may save your life.

(It is also handy if you need to switch it off in a hurry....;o)

Nils

Old September 18th 03, 12:35 AM
BTIZ

that's what is so interesting about these posts... no one ever tell where
they are from.. and some times the URL trail does not give it away..

BT