Landing a C5 Galaxy in Central Park

Old November 11th 06, 08:48 AM posted to rec.arts.movies.current-films,alt.movies,rec.aviation.military,rec.aviation.rotorcraft

Default Landing a C5 Galaxy in Central Park

John Keeney wrote:
wrote:
WaltBJ wrote:
Sure you can land a C5 in Central Park. Actually, the word is more
properly 'crash-land'. Everybody is going to die and the airplane burn
to ashes but hey - it's Hollywood! Hell, you can land a C5 on a carrier
- if you can swim really well. I think the word I'm looking for is
"Schlockmeister". Sheesh. Wayne, go watch the Israeli movie 'Entebbe'
and see what can realistically be done.
Walt BJ

SNIP

Well to be fair, and to get a word in edge-wise before he gets the
thorough caning he so rightly deserves, the C-5 was designed to
operate from short, rough fields. Of course, in the case of of the
Galaxy, "short" and "rough" are relative. So far as I know, no one has
ever attempted "for real" to use the C-5 as an assault
transport....memories of that wheel bounding down the runway sans
aircraft after a demonstration of this "capability" before a
Congressional delegation and a national TV and press pool are still
too vivid in the USAF even after 40 years or so

You sure that wasn't a proper (aka "paved") runway?

SNIP

Might have been...memories get misty...let me check....although if it
was, that made things even worse - "if it does THAT on a proper runway,
what the %#2& will happen on a tactical strip or a stretch of
autobahn?"

Found this..looks like you're right...thanks for the correction!

"Rolled out at Lockheed's Marietta plant on the 2nd of March 1968, the
first C-5 (66-8303) of an intial order of five, was prepared for
initial trails at Dobbins AFB. The 94-minute maiden trouble-free
flight, with Loe J. Sullivan as pilot and Walter E. Hensleigh as
co-pilot, was made from this Goergia base on the 30th of June 1968.
Located in Marietta, this airfield is known as Dobbins AFB by the USAF
and by the USN as NAS Atlanta. Since early 1951, the runway and other
facilities have been shared with Lockheed-Georgia Company.

The first phase of manufacturer's flight trials proceeded without major
problems (exempt for the loss of a main wheel during a routine landing
accident; after the aircraft came to a standstill, the wheel was
replaced, with the media having a field day with this event),"

Old November 11th 06, 03:37 PM posted to rec.arts.movies.current-films,alt.movies,rec.aviation.military,rec.aviation.rotorcraft

wrote:
Working on a movie script idea about the 911 attack on the WTC where
the crew of a blackop C5 Galaxy loaded with two SS Chinooks at Fort Dix
decide to take matters into their own hands when they receive a strange
radio message indicating that the World Trade Center has been attacked
and that thousands of people were stranded on the upper floors.

Big lines in the movie:

It's an agency hit and we shouldn't care! What the hell does that mean?

I can't just sit here and let all those people die.

Sir, we can't just steal a C5 Galaxy.

Just where do you plan on landing this bird? We'll be locked out of
JFK, Laguardia, and Newark.

You plan on flying up the Hudson Valley? When was the last time you
flew a C5 Galaxy under the George Washington Bridge?

You plan on landing this fat duck in Central Park?

Sir, I don't think that's in the flight manual.

And, for those who don't know what a Lockheed C5 Galaxy is:

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/266530...demonstration/

Gives a new meaning to the word "Transporter".

Unloading the SS Chinooks and getting the people out of the WTC while
putting out
the fires in the building__and a happy ending except for the huge UFO
that slowly fades
into view and then dissapears.

I'll work on the rest of the movie when Spileberg, Bruckheimer, Harlin,
Petersen, or any
other action movie director contacts me.

Sincerely,

Wayne E. Manzo,
Publisher, Producer, Human Rights Leader,
www.mansueact.com

Orlando, FL

Why not just steal the choppers and fly them directly to the site? You
might want to investigate the time it takes to get a chopper out of a
cargo plane and capable of flight.

Flying a CN235, while not having much cargo capability, would be more
believable since these are in both civilian and military hands, not to
mention the CIA already owns some using front companies.

This movie will be right up there in accuracy like "Air Force One."

Old November 11th 06, 04:50 PM posted to rec.arts.movies.current-films,alt.movies,rec.aviation.military,rec.aviation.rotorcraft

wrote:

This movie will be right up there in accuracy like "Air Force One."

Or more like "Capricorn One"

Old November 12th 06, 06:05 PM posted to rec.arts.movies.current-films,alt.movies,rec.aviation.military,rec.aviation.rotorcraft
Ed Rasimus[_1_]

On Sun, 12 Nov 2006 16:14:00 GMT, "Diamond Jim"
wrote:

"John Keeney" wrote in message
oups.com...

Diamond Jim wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...

wrote:

This movie will be right up there in accuracy like "Air Force One."

Or more like "Capricorn One"

ROTFLMAO! Why do people have to make things so complicated? Hell its only
30 minute flight (60 miles or so) at the most by a CH-47 from
FtDix/McGuire
AFB to Manhatten. It would take a lot longer than that to load or unload
them from a C-5.

Because he WANTS the C-5 to land in Central Park.
And besides, uh, ahmm, oh, the helicopters were allready loaded on the
C-5 to go some where else when they decided to steal them! YEA, THAT'S
THE TICKET!

Well how the hell are you going to rescue anyone from a window on the side
of a burning building anyway? You can't get a helicopter that close. As for
landing on the roof, through the smoke, updrafts, no problem righttttttttt!
What a bunch of BS.

You might want to review the news coverage of the Las Vegas hotel fire
at the MGM Grand about 20 years ago. Both window and rooftop
extractions by helicopter were accomplished. Noteworthy was the fact
that Korean War hero Boots Blesse was among the guests rescued.

Ed Rasimus
Fighter Pilot (USAF-Ret)
"When Thunder Rolled"
www.thunderchief.org
www.thundertales.blogspot.com
Old November 13th 06, 02:00 AM posted to rec.arts.movies.current-films,alt.movies,rec.aviation.military,rec.aviation.rotorcraft
WaltBJ

If you can find a copy of "Check Six" you can read Boots' elucidation
of the MGM Grand fire. ISTR they were on the 25th floor. Boots was his
usual cool self, but I was really impressed by his lady's actions. She
just said something like 'Tell em what to do-" he did, and she did it!
Just think about stepping off the balcony 25 stories up. She'd do to
ride the river with! For short landings - I used to have a videotape of
a 727 doing a maximum performance short field landing. The aircraft was
stopped in less than 1400 feet of ground roll. The 727 is a little
unique in that it came from the factory with nose wheel brakes, but
they won't engage unless braking effort exceeds something like at least
80% of maximum. Alas, the tape was left with the college when I
retired.
Walt BJ