Speed mods for homebuilts

Old August 18th 06, 01:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Lou

Default Speed mods for homebuilts

Ok, say your building an Emeraude and your not looking to make it a
speed demon, you just want to close up a few gaps. As your building the
wings, you realize the sizable gaps at between the wing and the flaps,
& ailerons. What would anyone recommend to close these up while in the
building process instead of waiting until it's finished. Also what
other reccommondations would anyone have (besides building a different
plane) for plain old cleaing up the efficiency of the plane? Not
wanting to change the design, just want to build it in instead of
adding after market product.
Lou

Old August 20th 06, 06:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
OLDGUYFLIER OLDGUYFLIER is offline
Junior Member

Lou,

Strongly recommend "Speed With Economy" by Kent Paser, owner of what is
supposed to be the fastest Midget Mustang in the world. EXCELLENT
coverage of the whole subject. Think it is available from EAA.

John

Old August 26th 06, 12:59 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Rich S.[_1_]

"Lou" wrote in message
ups.com...
Ok, say your building an Emeraude and your not looking to make it a
speed demon, you just want to close up a few gaps. As your building the
wings, you realize the sizable gaps at between the wing and the flaps,
& ailerons. What would anyone recommend to close these up while in the
building process instead of waiting until it's finished. Also what
other reccommondations would anyone have (besides building a different
plane) for plain old cleaing up the efficiency of the plane? Not
wanting to change the design, just want to build it in instead of
adding after market product.

Have you considered why the designer didn't close up those gaps? There is a
very good reason. If you want a different design, please rename it. If you
change some of the basic tenets of a design, don't make the designer
responsible for your ideas.

That being said, here's how to revise the design to make it faster. Buy a
set of RV-6 plans and use that wing and landing gear. Do not use the
elliptical wing of the Emeraude. Get rid of the draggy wing/landing gear
interstice. Don't use the bubble canopy or the built-up canopy. Make it a
straight line from the top of the canopy to the base of the tail. Increase
the slant of the windshield. Buy a pre-molded RV-6 cowling. The Emeraude
cowling design will cost you 20-30 mph. Buy Van's wheelpants with the
reverse curve aft of the centerline. They will give you 15 mph over bare
wheels & tires. Revise the fuselage plan (and the firewall) to change the CG
and allow a constant speed propeller and governor. Reduce the thickness of
the fin and rudder. Change the tailwheel spring design to a straight rod.

Now call it an RV-(wood)6

Rich S.

Old August 26th 06, 08:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Dan Youngquist

"Lou" wrote:

Ok, say your building an Emeraude and your not looking to make it a
speed demon, you just want to close up a few gaps. As your building the
wings, you realize the sizable gaps at between the wing and the flaps, &
ailerons. What would anyone recommend to close these up while in the
building process instead of waiting until it's finished.

Google "gap seals" and you'll have all the info you want on that.

Also what other reccommondations would anyone have (besides building a
different plane) for plain old cleaing up the efficiency of the plane?

To second John's recommendation, "Speed With Economy" by Kent Paser would
be an excellent starting point.

-Dan
Old August 27th 06, 09:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Wayne Paul

"Dan Youngquist" wrote in message
hell.org...
"Lou" wrote:

Ok, say your building an Emeraude and your not looking to make it a speed
demon, you just want to close up a few gaps. As your building the wings,
you realize the sizable gaps at between the wing and the flaps, &
ailerons. What would anyone recommend to close these up while in the
building process instead of waiting until it's finished.

Google "gap seals" and you'll have all the info you want on that.

Sealing the ailerons and flaps is very important in achieving maximum
performance from a sailplane. The appropriate tapes and Mylar can be
purchase from most any sailplane supply business. Tim Mara at "Wings and
Wheels" has always been willing provide advice and recommendations.
(http://www.wingsandwheels.com/page28.htm)

Wayne
HP-14 N990 "6F"
http://www.soaridaho.com/photogallery/Mackay_2006

Old August 27th 06, 11:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Rich S.[_1_]

"Lou" wrote in message
ups.com...
Ok, say your building an Emeraude and your not looking to make it a
speed demon, you just want to close up a few gaps.

I forgot to add - the washout in the Emeraude wing will cost you a few miles
per hour. So, after you get the gaps closed (which give you controllability
at or near stall) and you remove the washout (which allows the tips to keep
flying as the root stalls) you will have a faster Emeraude. You will also
have a snaprolling SOB at stall speeds. Combine this with it's tendency to
go into a flat spin with an aft CG and you will have a real handful.

Good luck!

Rich S.

Old August 28th 06, 12:27 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Lou

I like this idea, but I need to figure out how to adapt this during
construction to cut down on the drag induced by putting it on after
it's built and causing the hump.
Lou

Old August 28th 06, 12:37 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Rich S.[_1_]

"Lou" wrote in message
oups.com...
I like this idea, but I need to figure out how to adapt this during
construction to cut down on the drag induced by putting it on after
it's built and causing the hump.

Lou..........

Which idea? If you mean the Mooney-shape fuselage, don't build the
turtledeck until after the canopy is built (or bought) and installed. Then
build the turtledeck to fit the canopy. This is a good idea no matter what
canopy is selected. Actually, the RV-6 canopy is the correct width for the
Emeraude fuselage and lends itself perfectly to a "fastback" design.
Falconar in Canada (with whom I will never again do business) even sells
plans for a design like that which have a third seat in the rear for kids or
small adults.

Rich S.

Old August 28th 06, 10:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Lou

Ok, I'll bite. Why won't you do business with Falconar again?

Old August 28th 06, 10:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Rich S.[_1_]

"Lou" wrote in message
ups.com...
Ok, I'll bite. Why won't you do business with Falconar again?

My CP-301 plans were sold by Falconar. I inherited them and was the first
builder to use them. I had a question about on which sheet of plans (there
are ~50 sheets) a detail of a pulley was located. I called Falconar to ask.
I was told that if I would send him $10 U.S., he would tell me. I didn't.

With that kind of builder support by a plans vendor, no wonder Van's has
loyal customers and Falconar seems to be lacking.

Rich S.

Speed Astir Mods Avron Soaring 3 May 22nd 06 11:13 PM
questions re speed mods for cherokees Bob Noel Owning 7 August 5th 05 08:19 PM
Speed mods for Cherokee180 aluckyguess Piloting 14 November 18th 04 08:37 PM
Fairings (and other gear speed mods) for AA1A,B,C Uncle Ron Owning 1 October 17th 03 05:56 PM