Pilatus P3

Old July 25th 05, 11:33 PM

Default Pilatus P3

There is a very nice looking Pilatus P3 that has come on the market at
our local field, and I'm definitely tempted to look seriously at it.
After doing some online research on the P3, I've found some
information, but I was wondering if anyone out there could provide a
comparison of how a P3 compares to a Yak52/CJ-6, SF-260, Slingsby T67
or a T-34 (if they get past all the ADs). Also, any watchouts on
maintenance or ownership costs would be appreciated.

I am planning to pick the brains of anyone at Oshkosh with a P3 when
I'm there at the end of the week, but the more information, the better.
The geared engine did concern me, although from what I have read, if
you operate it right, it will be reliable.

Also, if anyone has flown a Scottish Aviation (BAe) Bulldog, I'd be
interested in hearing how that stacks up against the others.

Thanks,
Eric

Old July 26th 05, 04:15 AM
ORVAL FAIRAIRN

In article .com,
" wrote:

[...]

I have had friends who have had P3s, T-34s, Yak 52s, CJ-6s. I have flown
the first 3 with them. The P3 is a very heavy (but light touch) bird --
the heaviest of all and flies like a military aircraft, as do the others.

I also lost one of those friends in his P3 when the GO-480 threw a rod
and he hit trees on his emergency landing. Its performance (especially
with a tuned exhaust) compares with the big-engined T-34.

The Yak-52 is the slowest of the lot -- about 130 kt cruise. It flies
very nicely, using fingertips and toe tips, just like the T-34 and P3.
its engine is probably the most robust of all, along with the CJ-6.

Only the T-34 is fully certificated, which allows flight any time,
anywhere; the others are licensed "experimental-exhibition" and have
limits on operating distance from home base, although you can work
around that by a fax to FSDO, outlining any planned variances.

Best bet is to attend some airshows and talk to owners.
Old July 27th 05, 02:58 AM

Thanks for the feedback on the P3. I'll be looking for owners at
Oshkosh to talk with, so that should provide some good information. The
plane I'm looking at has a GO-435 engine that has relatively high time,
but is being monitored with oil changes & analysis every 25 hours (no
metal), along with good compressions.

Does anyone have any feedback on the reliability of a GO-435 engine?

Thanks,
Eric

Information on Pilatus PC-12 requested Rudy Winter Piloting 0 June 7th 04 10:11 AM
Information on Pilatus PC-12/45 requested Rudy Winter Owning 0 June 7th 04 10:09 AM
pilatus meet Anders Björkdahl Soaring 0 January 6th 04 09:21 PM
LTA für Pilatus B4-PC11 Ulrich Neumann Soaring 4 December 11th 03 03:20 PM
WTB: Pilatus P3 v35b Aviation Marketplace 3 November 11th 03 02:38 AM