My Annual

Old July 16th 05, 03:21 AM
George Patterson

john smith wrote:

Ohio taxes services, also.

Same in NJ. IIRC, same in TN and GA.

George Patterson
Why do men's hearts beat faster, knees get weak, throats become dry,
and they think irrationally when a woman wears leather clothing?
Because she smells like a new truck.
Old July 16th 05, 04:17 AM
Darrel Toepfer

Bob Noel wrote:

Sure there is. The popular usage of the term "annual" is that
fun time of year when an annual inspection occurs, plus all those
repairs, service, and improvements made to the airplane.
Not to mention the "while-we-are-at-it" things.

Its that time of the year where you get him to sign off all the stuff
you've done...
Old July 17th 05, 07:33 AM
Charles Talleyrand

That is because over the years, shops have conditioned the owners to
thinking that the "annual" (which is nowhere defined WITHOUT the word
"inspection" attached) is the time to cover the owner's vacation in Hawaii
with a bit put aside for the kid's college fund. It would appear that you
have been so conditioned.

I dunno. I have never to my knowledge been ripped off during
the-thing-I-call-an-annual. My most recent one was $800,
and that's pretty average. I don't think the mechanic is
going to Hawaii on this money.

Our airport only has the one mechanic, and the next closest
airport with a mechanic is fifty miles away. We pilots
and this mechanic know each other well, and every pilot
I've talked to who has used him has been reasonably happy
or better.

Old July 17th 05, 10:38 PM
Dave Stadt

"Jim Burns" wrote in message
Welcome to Wisconsin.

Section 77.52(2), Wis. Stats. (2003-04),

provides that, for the privilege of selling, performing, or

furnishing certain services at retail in Wisconsin to consumers

or users, a tax is imposed upon all persons

selling, performing, or furnishing the services at the rate

of 5% of the gross receipts from the sale, performance,

or furnishing of the services.

Services subject to Wisconsin sales tax include the following

(this list is not all-inclusive):

. The repair, service, alteration, fitting, cleaning,

painting, coating, towing, inspection, and maintenance

of all items of tangible personal property

unless:

performed on a tax exempt property or as a capital improvement.

Sucks don't it?

Especially in light of WIs other outrageous tax rates.

Jim

Old July 17th 05, 10:44 PM
Dave Stadt

"Bob Noel" wrote in message
In article ,
"RST Engineering" wrote:

And if you really want to be technical, I didn't say "annual
inspection" I just said "annual". But I think you are being picky for
no reason.

Your call. I reiterate, there is no such thing as an "annual".

Sure there is. The popular usage of the term "annual" is that
fun time of year when an annual inspection occurs, plus all those
repairs, service, and improvements made to the airplane.
Not to mention the "while-we-are-at-it" things.

Good luck trying to eliminate the phrase "annual" from the owner's
vocabulary. You'd have better luck getting people to properly
use "methodology" and "methods."

:-)

--
Bob Noel
no one likes an educated mule

If an IA uses more than a flashlight, mirror, pen and checklist in doing my
annual inspection he gets booted out of the hangar. A 'annual' to many has
become an open invitation for the IA to write in any amount he feels
necessary on the owners check.

Old July 27th 05, 09:01 PM

Well, not such good news :-(

My #5 cylinder compression was only 57 . . . so my mechanic did what he
called "staking the valve" . . . by rapping on it with a plastic mallet
while checking the compression gage. No improvement.
The exhaust valve is not seating properly so we have to pull the
cylinder and either send it out for repair or exchange for another one
.. . .
Any comments or suggestions as to which course of action is better?