Garmin 396 -- Maybe I spoke too soon...

Old August 27th 05, 05:50 PM
Thomas Borchert

Peter,

In one post, you argue for buying ANR, because to do otherwise is "going
back to the stone age". But in this thread, you argue that not everyone
needs to spend more money just to get the latest and most capable
technology.

I fail to see your point, should you have tried making one.

And I fail to see the reason to get nasty at me. But if it helps your
personality...

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Old August 27th 05, 05:56 PM
Peter R.

Maule Driver wrote:

However, I think the price comparison is closer to $2500 handheld and
say $12,000 panel mount.

You need to add an extra US$5,000 plus installation in your panel mount
cost for a certified WSI or XM satellite weather downlink receiver.

--
Peter

Old August 27th 05, 06:00 PM
Peter R.

Jay Honeck wrote:

- The 396 does weather better than the 430/530.

The 430/530 does *not* do weather at all without an additional $5,000
receiver.

That fact pointed out, I agree with Tom that the 430/530 are certified for
IFR flight. To counter your points about the number of pilots who fly
hard IFR with a 430/530 or a B/K certified GPS, I could name about
twenty-five including myself who do so at my home airport.

You are probably going to need a bigger sample size before I could accept
your low percentage figures.

--
Peter

Old August 27th 05, 07:41 PM
Peter Duniho

"Thomas Borchert" wrote in message
I fail to see your point, should you have tried making one.

No surprise there.

And I fail to see the reason to get nasty at me.

"Nasty"? You need to get out more.

Old August 27th 05, 10:29 PM
Maule Driver

It was so uncalled for nasty that I almost got whiplash. At least one
of these personalities needs a clue.

Old August 29th 05, 12:32 PM
Doug Vetter

JB wrote:
snip
The peace of mind and safety margin went up about 100-fold now that I
have this system!! Like some others here, I spent 1 or 2 nites in
unplanned hotel stays in previous years because T storms were popping
up in the vicinity of my route. Ths time I was able to really see
what was in front of me. I had all the info I needed to plow ahead,
ask for a 10 degree change in course to avoid a buildup, or do
something more drastic (like do a 180 or land).

snip

I just finished my first weekend of flying and weather analysis with the
396 and I echo your sentiments. The 396's weather delivery and
integration is probably the biggest advance to the art of flying since
GPS itself.

I even love the automotive mode and XM radio -- my friend let me borrow
one of those small FM transmitters and I enjoyed full verbal route
guidance on my way home as well as reasonably clear XM radio. And I say
"reasonably clear" because the cheapo FM transmitter is really the
limiting factor in sound quality -- when the 396 is hooked directly to a
traditional receiver or a set of headphones (say the Bose Quiet Comfort
series) the quality is far superior.

I'm planning on writing a review on my site as soon as I can get some
other articles done, but I can assure everyone wondering that both the
396 AND the XM weather/audio services are worth the coin. This is going
to be a blockbuster.

I do wonder, however, whether this new capability will eventually lead
to an increase in unfortunate results with regard to pilots flying in
weather beyond their capabilities. Call it the "Cirrus effect"...

-Doug

--
--------------------
Doug Vetter, CFIMEIA

http://www.dvcfi.com
--------------------
Old August 29th 05, 01:00 PM
Dan Luke

"Doug Vetter" wrote:

I do wonder, however, whether this new capability will eventually lead
to an increase in unfortunate results with regard to pilots flying in
weather beyond their capabilities. Call it the "Cirrus effect"...

I'm wondering the same thing myself. Ever since I've had XM
weather--about two years--I've been pushing the weather harder. What's
the point of having it if you can't do that?

The problem is that it will make people overconfident; perhaps it's done
that to me already. "Cirrus effect" sounds like a good name for it.

--
Dan
C172RG at BFM

Old August 29th 05, 02:12 PM
john smith

Dan & Doug
Which XM Weather package are you subscribing to?

Does the subscription include the audio offerings, or is that
additional? How much?
Old August 29th 05, 02:34 PM
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

john smith wrote:
Dan & Doug
Which XM Weather package are you subscribing to?

Does the subscription include the audio offerings, or is that
additional? How much?

Yeah, I want to know too. I'm drooling over this thing but I'm trying to get a
grip on the total cost. I'm also wondering if many rental aircraft will have a
place to tap in for power? Since I'm not a smoker, I've never paid attention to
the presence or absence of cigarette lighters in aircraft.

Final question: if they do have outlets, what voltage? The Garmin is 12V but I
think most GA aircraft are 28V.

It's a lot of money at stake. I don't want to bite the bullet and then find out
it's not really that great because you can't effectively power the thing in a
rental C-172 or Cherokee.

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

VE

Old August 29th 05, 03:06 PM
Dan Luke

Which XM Weather package are you subscribing to?

Does the subscription include the audio offerings, or is that
additional? How much?

I've got the Aviator package; it's $50/mo. Aviator Lite is $30/mo.
Music is
extra.

http://www.wxworx.com/aviation/service_pricing.php

Yeah, I want to know too. I'm drooling over this thing but I'm trying
to get a grip on the total cost. I'm also wondering if many rental
aircraft will have a place to tap in for power? Since I'm not a
smoker, I've never paid attention to the presence or absence of
cigarette lighters in aircraft.

Final question: if they do have outlets, what voltage? The Garmin is
12V but I think most GA aircraft are 28V.

The adaptor works on either one.

It's a lot of money at stake. I don't want to bite the bullet and
then find out it's not really that great because you can't effectively
power the thing in a rental C-172 or Cherokee.

Not a problem.