China to supply parts for 7E7

Old June 11th 04, 11:09 AM
John Fitzpatrick

Default China to supply parts for 7E7

Just read in the paper, that china has landed a deal deal with Beoing, to
supply parts for the 7E7 including the rudder assemblies. That ought to
inspire a lot of confidence in the plane, though I'm sure China will use
their finest slave labor technology.

Old June 11th 04, 02:27 PM
leslie

John Fitzpatrick ) wrote:
: Just read in the paper, that china has landed a deal deal with Beoing,
: to supply parts for the 7E7 including the rudder assemblies. That ought
: to inspire a lot of confidence in the plane, though I'm sure China will
: use their finest slave labor technology.
:

Worry more about offshoring of R&D, since it's the "seed corn" for new
products and services, and thus jobs:

http://news.com.com/2009-1001-940319.html
Tapping brainpower - Tech News - CNET.com

"BEIJING--The abundance of manual labor is legendary in this country of
1 billion people, but brainpower is quickly catching up.

While many technology giants are expanding manufacturing plants in
China, a significant number of multinationals are increasingly combing
the mainland for engineers and researchers to handle projects for
global applications that, in recent years, would have been performed
in labs in the United States or Europe.

"I'm hiring Ph.D.s with years of experience for less than what it
would cost to hire a new college grad out of Stanford," said Chief
Executive Al Sisto of Phoenix Technologies, a software company in San
Jose, Calif..."

http://www.townhall.com/columnists/p...20020425.shtml
Smug in a no-think existence

"...Another misconception is that China's economy is a gigantic sweatshop
-- cheap labor but low tech. According to the April 19 Financial
Times, this comforting view is out of date. The rapid shift of
manufacturing to China by multinational firms has taken research and
development with it.

Intel, IBM, Motorola, Lucent Technologies, G.E. and Microsoft were
among the first to set up R&D labs in China, where skilled researchers
can be hired at one-third the U.S. wage. The United States has trained
enough Chinese scientists and engineers to support a massive shift in
R&D from America (and Japan) to China.

The R&D trickle has become a flood. This month, Emerson Electric
announced that it is moving at least half of its engineering work to
China and India by the end of this year. Emerson CEO David Farr said,
"When we finish this calendar year 2002, 70 percent of our
manufacturing will be in low-cost countries."

Black & Decker, battery maker Evercel and auto parts maker Lear Corp.
have recently announced closure of U.S. operations and moves to China.

The Japanese are headed there, as well. Matsu****a has opened an R&D
lab in China that will employ 1,750 Chinese engineers within a few
years. Nomura is shifting software projects to China and will soon be
employing 1,000 Chinese engineers. For its new chip development
center, Toshiba is hiring 1,000 Chinese engineers. Hitachi, Sony,
Pioneer, Fujitsu, NEC, Honda and Yamaha have announced plans for R&D
operations in China.

When these facts are mentioned, free-traders have a knee-jerk reaction
and rush to the defense of free trade, while excoriating the
messenger. However, we are not confronted with phenomena that fit the
free trade vs. protection framework. We are confronted with massive
desertion of industrial and high-tech production and R&D to China, and
a consequent decline in middle-class jobs and incomes in the United
States..."

--Jerry Leslie
Note: is invalid for email
Old June 11th 04, 04:50 PM
Robert M. Gary

"John Fitzpatrick" wrote in message . ..
Just read in the paper, that china has landed a deal deal with Beoing, to
supply parts for the 7E7 including the rudder assemblies. That ought to
inspire a lot of confidence in the plane, though I'm sure China will use
their finest slave labor technology.

This is common. They also build part of the 777. If you want to sell
7E7's to the Chineese gov't you better have part of it built there.

-Robert

Old June 12th 04, 04:55 PM
Darkwing Duck \(The Duck, The Myth, The Legend\)

"S Green" wrote in message

"John Fitzpatrick" wrote in message
Just read in the paper, that china has landed a deal deal with

Beoing,
supply parts for the 7E7 including the rudder assemblies. That ought to
inspire a lot of confidence in the plane, though I'm sure China will use
their finest slave labor technology.

Jerk

I'm sure John Fitzpatrick is "very very rorry".