Question from a new flight student (whopping 7 hours!)

Old October 17th 04, 02:15 AM
Peter Duniho

"Teacherjh" wrote in message
[...]
So, I did not think it unreasonable to include discussion of a proper 45
entry
in the discussion about variances in TPA and folks who come in at pattern
altitude overhead, looking for the 45.

Me either. I was just trying to figure out what you actually meant to say.

Thanks for clarifying.

Old October 17th 04, 02:29 AM
zatatime

On Sun, 17 Oct 2004 00:30:33 GMT, "Jay Honeck"
wrote:

should he believe that the radio calls from the guy doing (unbeknownst to
him) crosswind practice represents the runway that is most favoring the
wind?

The answer, of course, is no

Why is the answer "of course no?" If the pilot doesn't mind a cross
wind landing, and thinks its more appropriate to define a consistent
traffic flow, then why shouldn't he follow the other guy. Ultimately
the decision is for the pilot in command, which I hope is never taken
away by technology.

Old October 17th 04, 04:41 AM
Dave Stadt

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
No he didn't. He said he had his choice of six which is true no matter
what
the wind might be. What liability would they be trying to assess?

And just like *that* (snapping his fingers) we're back to the liability
attorney/insurance thread!

;-)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Sorry.

Old October 17th 04, 05:23 AM
zatatime

On Sun, 17 Oct 2004 03:41:38 GMT, "Dave Stadt"
wrote:

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
No he didn't. He said he had his choice of six which is true no matter
what
the wind might be. What liability would they be trying to assess?

And just like *that* (snapping his fingers) we're back to the liability
attorney/insurance thread!

;-)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA
Pathfinder N56993
www.AlexisParkInn.com
"Your Aviation Destination"

Sorry.

Hold on...When you're placing blame and determinig who's liable NOBODY
says Sorry! That's automatic grounds to accept all liability.

Old October 17th 04, 03:45 PM
C J Campbell

"Cub Driver" wrote in message
On Fri, 15 Oct 2004 14:22:12 -0600, Newps wrote:

This would put you at the wrong altitude at a great deal of airports.
Doesn't causing a safety hazard bother you?

Nope.

Please don't fly in southeastern New Hampshire. Promise?

Something you may not know: many airports have more than one published
traffic pattern altitude. If you are depending on all the other airplanes
flying the same pattern and same altitude as you are, you are the one
creating a safety hazard.

Old October 18th 04, 03:06 AM
Jay Honeck

That's part of the fun of ATC. You get a stupid guy on the freq and it
won't be long before everybody else knows it too.

Hee hee -- for sure!

Not ATC per se, but coming back from Pella (near Des Moines) today we
over-flew a poor sap who was apparently sitting on his microphone. He had
the incredible misfortune of being the last person in a flight of three to
land, and while they landed ahead of him he gave a long, critical, and quite
profane review of his "friend's" landings to his co-pilot -- and also,
unknowingly, live on the air, for every pilot in the Midwest to hear.

After he landed, we could hear the guy shut down, and someone yelling at
him. Then the mike went dead.

It was hilarious! (But I'll bet those guys aren't friends anymore.)

:-)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old October 18th 04, 04:18 PM

Dave Stadt wrote:

My guess is if you were to ask 10 pilots what the TPA is at their home
airport you would get at least 8 different answers.

In addition, you would not be amazed at the number of pilots who "turn
in the pattern" at 500' AGL after takeoff! Why? "Because their
instructor taught them to turn at 500'"! This, at an airport with a
1000' pattern published (also the FAA default pattern).

Still, many pilots and instructors don't see the problem... The AIM
says that you may turn from the departure leg when "within 300 feet of
the pattern altitude". So, for an 800' pattern, 500' AGL is the
correct minimum altitude to turn. However, for a 1000' pattern, 800'
AGL is the correct minimum altitude to turn... when remaining in the
pattern.

You may find this in the AIM, in the descrption of landing patterns,
below the PICTURE/DIAGRAM, not in the regular text.

Best regards,

Jer/ "Flight instruction and mountain flying are my vocation!" Eberhard

--
Jer/ (Slash) Eberhard, Mountain Flying Aviation, LTD, Ft Collins, CO
CELL 970 231-6325 EMAIL jer'at'frii.com WEB http://users.frii.com/jer/
Old October 18th 04, 06:12 PM
John Galban

zatatime wrote in message . ..

(This may be wrong but,)I believe when a TPA is not explicitly stated
in the AF/D the expected TPA is 800' AGL.

That was probably correct 10 or so years ago, but the new standard
TPA is 1000' AGL if not stated in the AFD. The AIM was changed to
reflect this.

John Galban=====N4BQ (PA28-180)
Old October 18th 04, 06:13 PM
Corky Scott

On Fri, 15 Oct 2004 20:48:39 -0600, Newps wrote:

For approach freq's do not use the sectional unless you have to. Use
the ATIS, it will always tell you what the approach freq will be.

It will? I guess I don't travel far enough afield to hear this. None
of the ATIS's I've listened to in Northern New England do more than
tell you the standard ATIS fare. Here's an example from a website of
a typical ATIS broadcast:

ATIS information identifier letter Information India
Time of Report 1755 Zulu
Wind Direction/Speed 260 at 15 gusting to 19
Visibility 6 miles, light snow
Ceiling 2,600 Scattered, 3,500 Overcast
Temperature -5
Dew Point -11
Altimeter 29.99
Instrument Approach and Runways in use ILS (Instrument Landing
System) runway 23 Left in use
Landing 23 Left, Departing 23 Right
Notices to Airmen
Taxiway/runway closures, lights, etc.
Runway 18 closed

I don't see any information regarding approach frequencies there, and
it's been my experience that you odn't find that information in ATIS.
But perhaps if I flew into busier airports once in a while?

Corky Scott