Why is Soaring declining

Old April 17th 04, 05:10 AM
Lennie the Lurker

John Jones wrote in message ...
'...but still money that I should have put somewhere
else.'

That is what most wives say too. Maybe you would be
happier if you had spent all that money at the mall
on new dresses.

Hmmmm. I believe I've already said that I would trade every penny I
spent on soaring, every hour I've spent in a cockpit, and every
flyable day for the next fifty years, to have my wife back among the
living for one hour.

Money spent is sunk cost and should never be considered
again in the future.

Guess you don't mind repeating mistakes. I like to learn from mine.
Old April 17th 04, 06:23 AM
Lennie the Lurker

"Ian Johnston" wrote in message news:cCUlhtvFIYkV-pn2-ZDsNMdvUhfb2@localhost...

Hack

2) Stimulating interest by being a competition class.

Hack

It's a shame that more top-end pilots haven't taken to
it, but I suspect that the competition year is already pretty crowded.

Ian, if competitors are the only ones being listened to, and you want
to attract more people for the fun of it, you're listening to the
wrong people. Get rid of the competition mindset, and realize that at
the most, 5% of the people that fly compete. You're trying to sell a
Dodge Viper, when what's needed is a Dodge Shadow. Jetskis are more
common than unlimited hydros, and for two very good reasons. First is
cost, and second is that more people are interested in just having fun
than in competing. By trying to keep everything in a competition
mindset, first you're banging your head against a stone wall, and it
feels good when you quit. You might gain a few competitors, but for
most of them, they don't hear you. for a few, they quietly leave. By
giving the impression that competition is the "all", there are many
that won't even start as soon as the think they might be expected to
compete. It's very obvious that you are a diehard competitor, and for
you, that's fine. It's when someone thinks they're being pushed to do
something they don't want to do that you'll lose them. I know my
tolerance for being pushed into something is zero and getting less.
What the top end pilots want to do, let them go there, but don't think
they have to try to drag everyone else in their footsteps. Quit
trying to make competition replace generalized fun, and a few more
people might stick around for a while. I've had my turn at
competition, and realized too late that the fun wasn't there anymore.
The fun had been replaced with only a need to stay on the top, no
matter what. That isn't going to attract anyone.
Old April 17th 04, 02:33 PM
RHWOODY

Yeah - right - just like it "rebounded
during Clinton's administration"
Old April 17th 04, 04:19 PM
Ian Johnston

On Fri, 16 Apr 2004 09:41:34 UTC, Martin Gregorie
wrote:

: Buying my ASW-20 and flying it for a year will cost less than œ20K.
: Amortising that cost over 10 years will reduce the yearly outlay to
: the equivalent of flying a club glider

You could get 5% interest on the 20K, which is a thousand a year.
Plus, what, five hundred for the insurance?

That fifteen hundred quid would buy you seventy hours in a Sutton Bank
DG300 (at 36p/minute) or almost twenty maximum length flights (at
œ75.20 per flight) If the purchase price needs borrowed I reckon the
payback time for a private glass glider is about 100 hours/year. Wood
50 hours/year. Both subject to midification at cheap clubs, or in
syndicates.

However, that's a by product. I like flying my wooden Pirat and I love
flying Ka8's. I have never, ever, flown either type at any club
without having a range of derogatory comments from people - often low
hours pilots who wish to buy credibility and badges - about those
types. Well stuff 'em. I know what I like and the sniping doesn't
bother me. I'm pretty sure that attitude gives a very bad impression
to many potential members who overhear it.

Ian

(PS I'm not accusing Martin of glass snobbery for an instant - I'm
just using his post as a convenient hook for my tirade!)

Old April 17th 04, 04:27 PM
Ian Johnston

On Fri, 16 Apr 2004 15:25:26 UTC, Shawn Curry
wrote:

: Liam Finley wrote:
:
: snip
:
: I think the elitism problem is largely an urban myth.
:
: It's all too easy for unsuccesful pilots to blame elitism rather than
: take a hard look at their own lack of skill, ability or perserverence.
:
: Stop! There it is-
: "Skill, ability, and perseverance."
: This is supposed to be a fun recreational activity/hobby/sport, yet it
: requires "skill, ability, and perseverance".

Most of the snide remarks aimed tend to come, in my experience, for
those who have subsituted cash for "skill. ability and perseverance"
and mistake the results for "success".

Ian
Old April 17th 04, 06:10 PM
Shawn Curry

RHWOODY wrote:

Yeah - right - just like it "rebounded
during Clinton's administration"

Damn. I hate it when rupublicans are right-um correct ;-)

Shawn
Old April 17th 04, 07:02 PM
RHWOODY

As we all know, the decline has been
happening during several administrations,
your inference that it is related to anything political just shows the lunacy
of your original post.