WxWorx is shipping, looking for first feedback

Old September 3rd 03, 11:52 AM
Mark T. Mueller

Default WxWorx is shipping, looking for first feedback

Anyone have one of the first units? WxWorx website is stating they are now
shipping. Looking for some firsthand reports.

I gave up on Garmin's GDL-49 (tactically useless), and Control Vision
(transponder interference problems with some KT-76 transponders and flaky
downloads in some areas of the country). Looks like WxWorx will meet my
needs, but wondering if anyone with one of the first units shipping has any
comment...

It is very refreshing to see a company with some business smarts (chose the
PROVEN XM sat broadcast system as the data carrier, won't disappear
overnight like the MerlinWx guys) has produced a useful product at a
reasonable price (non-cert portable WxWorx receiver is about 1/10th the cost
of the WSI non-cert product!!!) I am really excited about this new system,
and would love to hear from any current users.

Garmin decided to go with WxWorx for their new "Gucci" G-1000 wonder-box
(but refuse to address application on the 430/530...)

TIA,

Mark
Tiger N1533R

Old September 3rd 03, 01:06 PM
Richard Kaplan

"Mark T. Mueller" wrote in message

of the WSI non-cert product!!!) I am really excited about this new system,
and would love to hear from any current users.

I have it and it works great.. my only complaint is all the wires. I wish
they could put the XM Radio receiver in a PCMCIA card to make it a lot
cleaner in the cockpit.

But it is far better than any other portable alternative by far.

--
Richard Kaplan, CFII

www.flyimc.com

Old September 3rd 03, 04:16 PM
Dan Luke

"Richard Kaplan" wrote:
of the WSI non-cert product!!!) I am really excited about this new

system,
and would love to hear from any current users.

I have it and it works great.. my only complaint is all the wires. I wish
they could put the XM Radio receiver in a PCMCIA card to make it a lot
cleaner in the cockpit.

What are you using for display, Richard? Could you give a description of
your setup?
--
Dan
C172RG at BFM

Old September 3rd 03, 07:58 PM
Richard Kaplan

"Dan Luke" c172rgATbellsouthDOTnet wrote in message

What are you using for display, Richard? Could you give a description of
your setup?

I am using a Windows XP laptop computer for the display. I do not want to
run the XMRadio box and my portable GPS and also my laptop computer all from
my airplane's cigarette lighter, so I bought a 7 Amp-hour rechargable 12V
battery with a cigarette lighter output and that powes the XMRadio and if
necessary it charges my laptop on longer flights. I got a big briefcase to
put all the boxes and wires in and it, although I am thinking a small
duffel-bag type carrier might turn out to be better in the long-run. It
also works fine technically but takes a bit of organization to set it up;
the advantage is that once it is set up, no intervention is required -- it
automatically updates weather every 5 minutes just like a radar or
stormscope, with no distracting button-pressing needed in-flight. That is a
big plus.. buy boy would it be a lot nicer if they could put all the
hardware into a PCMCIA card.

--
Richard Kaplan, CFII

www.flyimc.com

Old September 9th 03, 08:02 AM
Dave

"Mark T. Mueller" wrote in message ...

Garmin decided to go with WxWorx for their new "Gucci" G-1000 wonder-box
(but refuse to address application on the 430/530...)

I, too, am annoyed by this. A rep from WxWorx told me that all
queries related to Garmin and WxWorkx need to go to Garmin. When I
asked Garmin about wxworx on the 400/500 series, they said nothing is
planned right now. My hunch is that they don't want to jepordize
their relation with WSI, or the sales of their GDL-49 that they
probably haven't even begun recouping R&D costs on yet. If there was
a broadcast option for the GDL-49, I'd consider it. But I don't want
to have to keep requesting weather manually.

I don't want to lug a laptop into the plane. And, of course, for hard
IFR, you can't legally use it anyway.
Old September 9th 03, 02:51 PM
Dan Luke

"Dave" wrote:
I don't want to lug a laptop into the plane. And, of
course, for hard IFR, you can't legally use it anyway.

??? What's the legal problem?
--
Dan
C172RG at BFM

Old September 9th 03, 07:00 PM
Peter Duniho

"Dan Luke" c172rgATbellsouthDOTnet wrote in message
I don't want to lug a laptop into the plane. And, of
course, for hard IFR, you can't legally use it anyway.

??? What's the legal problem?

Maybe he meant that you can't use it for your primary navigation?

Other than that, I'm not aware of any "legal problem".

Pete

Old September 10th 03, 03:58 AM
Dave

"Dave" wrote:
I don't want to lug a laptop into the plane. And, of
course, for hard IFR, you can't legally use it anyway.

??? What's the legal problem?

Maybe it's all in the interpretation, but 14 CFR 91.21 spells it out.
The loophole may be item 5. But, what constitutes the operator making
an informed decision that a laptop with the other associated equipment
won't cause interference to the NAV and COM equipment?

"(a) Except as provided in paragraph (b) of this section, no person
may operate, nor may any operator or pilot in command of an aircraft
allow the operation of, any portable electronic device on any of the
following U.S.-registered civil aircraft:

(1) Aircraft operated by a holder of an air carrier operating
certificate or an operating certificate; or

(2) Any other aircraft while it is operated under IFR.

(b) Paragraph (a) of this section does not apply to --

(1) Portable voice recorders;

(2) Hearing aids;

(3) Heart pacemakers;

(4) Electric shavers; or

(5) Any other portable electronic device that the operator of the
aircraft has determined will not cause interference with the
navigation or communication system of the aircraft on which it is to
be used.

(c) In the case of an aircraft operated by a holder of an air carrier
operating certificate or an operating certificate, the determination
required by paragraph (b)(5) of this section shall be made by that
operator of the aircraft on which the particular device is to be used.
In the case of other aircraft, the determination may be made by the
pilot in command or other operator of the aircraft. "
Old September 10th 03, 12:00 PM
Dan Luke

"Dave" wrote:

Maybe it's all in the interpretation, but 14 CFR 91.21 spells it

out.

I still don't see what that's got to do with "hard IFR."
--
Dan
C172RG at BFM

Old September 11th 03, 03:18 AM
Dave

"Dan Luke" wrote in message ...
"Dave" wrote:

Maybe it's all in the interpretation, but 14 CFR 91.21 spells it

out.

I still don't see what that's got to do with "hard IFR."

my implication was that if you're flying "hard IFR", you're in IMC on
an IFR flight plan, and would thus be subject to 91.21. Folks, I
think this is a great product. I just wish they would integrate it
with some cockpit MFD's (other than the gazillion dollar Garmin G1000
system)