Flying to a Ski Resort

Old December 27th 03, 02:19 AM
Victor

Default Flying to a Ski Resort

I am planning on a flight to a ski resort.
This will be the first time I adventure flying to
the mountains and temperatures below freezing. I
have 170 hrs TT and will be flying VFR only.

What should I be considering?
I currently use aeroshell 100W I believe I should
change it?
How to clean the plane from ice and snow the day
we plan to leave?
Any other thing to consider?

Thanks for your help.
Old December 27th 03, 02:20 AM
Ron Natalie

"Victor" wrote in message om...

What should I be considering?
I currently use aeroshell 100W I believe I should
change it?

Put in 15W50. Even the Shell 80 is thicker than what most
engines recommend for cold weather ops.

Old December 27th 03, 03:05 AM
Geoffrey Barnes

Which resort are you going to? For instance, here in Western Pennsylvania,
the Seven Springs resort has a private landing strip very close to the main
lodge. There are a number of things to think of before you use it, though.
Since it's private, you may need to call for permission to use it. Also,
they don't make much revenue from the airstrip, since most people drive in.
When it snows (and it snows there alot), the roads and parking lots are
cleared first. The airstrip is not as big a priority.

So it may pay to call ahead.

Old December 27th 03, 03:39 AM
Tune2828

where are you flying too? quite a few ski resorts around. i live in colorado
and eagle county EGE is most centrally located to Vail and all Summit County
resorts.

It's in a decent size valley and much easier than Aspen. And you may see Kobe
in the FBO.

Get a colorado aeronautical chart to see various passes and mountains. If
weather's bad you can fly to centennial or jeffco in denver and drive up for an
hour

and if you're going to southwestern colorado use durango, DRO - another easy
big valley aiport

have fun and watch out for fast moving cold fronts and storms.
Old December 27th 03, 05:26 AM
Blanche

Which ski area?
Are you allowed to park the aircraft there?
Have you had any mountain flying training?
What type of aircraft are you using?

Old December 27th 03, 12:23 PM
Victor

Will be flying to Ruidoso,NM I have flown mostly in flat south Texas.
And will be flying to Ruidoso later continuing to Las Vegas.
Old December 27th 03, 05:30 PM
Ron Natalie

"Blanche" wrote in message ...
Which ski area?
Are you allowed to park the aircraft there?
Have you had any mountain flying training?
What type of aircraft are you using?

Around here you can fly to Garrett County (Wisp). You can't fly to
7 Springs. While there is an airport there, it's not available when the
snow is on the ground (the ski slope cuts right across it).

Old December 29th 03, 04:20 AM

Victor wrote:
Will be flying to Ruidoso,NM I have flown mostly in flat south Texas.
And will be flying to Ruidoso later continuing to Las Vegas.

Well, Sierra Blanca Airport (SRR) is the public airport at Ruidoso. But
as Blanche pointed out you get into mountain flying area with all the
joy (some of it I learned the hard way ;*), such as leaning, strong
up/down drafts, waves and rotors, ...
Ice shouldn't be too much of a factor if you fly VFR. Typically the NM
air is rather dry (with exceptions, of course). Also, before departing,
if you remove potential snow from the plane and put the plane in the
sun, the ice will often just disappear (sublimate) rather quickly.

Also the MOAs above Ruidoso shouldn't be a factor if you stay below
12500ft MSL (except for the TALON LOW MOA southwest of Ruidoso which
starts at 300AGL).

Call ahead to check for snow on the rundway and have your survival gear
ready - there is awful lot of space in the Land of Enchantment ;*).

Chris

Old December 29th 03, 04:22 PM

.... wrote:
Victor wrote:

Will be flying to Ruidoso,NM I have flown mostly in flat south Texas.
And will be flying to Ruidoso later continuing to Las Vegas.

Well, Sierra Blanca Airport (SRR) is the public airport at Ruidoso. But
as Blanche pointed out you get into mountain flying area with all the
joy (some of it I learned the hard way ;*), such as leaning, strong
up/down drafts, waves and rotors, ...
Ice shouldn't be too much of a factor if you fly VFR. Typically the NM
air is rather dry (with exceptions, of course). Also, before departing,
if you remove potential snow from the plane and put the plane in the
sun, the ice will often just disappear (sublimate) rather quickly.

Also the MOAs above Ruidoso shouldn't be a factor if you stay below
12500ft MSL (except for the TALON LOW MOA southwest of Ruidoso which

^^^^^^^^^ make that
southeast - Chris