If You've Flown a FLARM Stealth Contest, Vote Here

Old December 5th 15, 03:30 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default If You've Flown a FLARM Stealth Contest, Vote Here

Lots of earnest opinions, some more strident than others. Lots of confident statements about what works, doesn't work, is possible, is futile, is inevitable.

So let's keep it simple: if you have flown in a contest at any level where stealth was mandated (not necessarily mandatory FLARM, but if FLARM was used, it had to be in stealth mode), what was your experience?

If you HAVEN'T flown in a stealth-mandatory contest, DON'T POST. You had your chance to speculate and make your opinions heard (some of you many, many times) over in "Is FLARM Helpful?" We could run this over on Survey Monkey, et al., but I think it's useful to track the responses on this forum.

My view based on the Elmira nats in 2015: FLARM under stealth provided the collision avoidance and situational awareness intended without changing the tactics or strategy of the competitive flying significantly.

My vote: "yes" for mandatory stealth mode.

Chip Bearden
ASW 24 "JB"
U.S.A.
Old December 5th 15, 04:18 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ron Gleason

On Friday, 4 December 2015 20:30:42 UTC-7, wrote:
[...]

You will only get folks that flew Elmira in 2015 to respond, the only data point based on your criteria
Old December 5th 15, 04:19 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ron Gleason

[...]

For US based pilots you should only get Elmira 2015 pilots responding, the ONLY data point.
Old December 5th 15, 12:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

I thought Elmira was the only stealth contest. But I wasn't sure about local contests and, of course, non-U.S. contests. I agree with others that my impression was that pilots flying Elmira overwhelmingly approved of stealth. But it's just that--an impression, not an actual survey.

Chip Bearden
ASW 24 "JB"
U.S.A.
Old December 5th 15, 01:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul Crabb

I have flown a number of "stealth" nationals contests in the UK. The leeching side effect of FLARM displays has become such a problem over the last couple of years that stealth mode is nearly unanimously wanted by pilots competing, stealth mode makes a significant difference by returning returning competition to an "individual" sport.

The IGC are working with FLARM to improve "stealth" mode even further. what we need to arrive at is a set of rules that mandate that in cockpit displays can only be used for collision avoidance and situational awarenes, this should cover any data protoclols including ADSB and FLARM.
Old December 5th 15, 01:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Godfrey (QT)[_2_]

On Friday, December 4, 2015 at 10:30:42 PM UTC-5, wrote:
[...]

Here is the data from the pilot poll limited to pilots who reported at Harris Hill Participants

Flarm in Nationals
FlarmMandatory 11
OrgnzrChoice 5
PilotChoice 7

Stealth In Nationals
StealthMandatory 13
OrgnzrChoice 4
PilotChoice 6
StealthProhibited 1

John Godfrey (QT)
RC Chair

Old December 5th 15, 01:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

[...]

I agree with JB. I was pretty happy with using it in Stealth mode at Elmira. I would vote "yes" as well.

Mike Opitz
Discus-2b "RO"
Old December 5th 15, 02:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

QT,

Can I infer three things?

1. Some pilots didn't answer all questions (since the totals are slightly different for the two questions).
2. Only about 2/3 of the 33 pilots at Elmira responded to the poll.

Chip Bearden
ASW 24 "JB"
U.S.A.
Old December 5th 15, 03:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dave Leonard

On Saturday, December 5, 2015 at 7:43:55 AM UTC-7, wrote:
QT,

Can I infer three things?

1. Some pilots didn't answer all questions (since the totals are slightly different for the two questions).
2. Only about 2/3 of the 33 pilots at Elmira responded to the poll.

Chip Bearden
ASW 24 "JB"
U.S.A.

Question 1 on the survey was what nationals did you fly last year.
Old December 5th 15, 03:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
XC

[...]

I helped organize the 2015 Std./15m Nationals in Elmira where we used FLARM in stealth mode. Flying with the stealth was fine with plenty of collision avoidance. Administratively, it presented no real problems.

I also flew the Pan American Glider Contest with IGC rules. I liked the IGC rules generally. The rules allow team flying and full usage of FLARM. Because of this I know FLARM displays are definitely being used tactically. I even used FLARM this way myself. Any pilot would be at a disadvantage if they didn't. I feel strongly this use of FLARM is a bad thing for sailplane racing.

To use another analogy because some think I am being a luddite. When we went from maps and cameras to GPS it was like writers moving from pen and paper or a typewriter to a word processor or a computer. It made writing, or in our case navigating, easier and faster. Unlimited use of FLARM in contests often amounts to plagiarism or stealing some else's work. The idea that everyone doing it will lead to some bright new future for our sport is wrong minded in my opinion. Use of unlimited FLARM displays in contests will lead to reduced brilliance.

XC