Contest "viewing"

Old May 10th 16, 03:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Contest "viewing"

I'd like to "follow" some of the upcoming contests.

What is the most current website or app for real-time tracking? And do you have to know a trackers ID to make this work?

Also what websites or apps can be used to "play back" a flight log? Is there a software which allows you to sync the starts of multiple sailplanes (a la GP fashion) and then follow their course path's?

Thanks for your help.
Old May 10th 16, 05:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
kiwiindenver

GlidePort.aero is the best option for real-time tracking. It combines Spot, InReach and cell phone traces into one contest focused viewer. You see details of the competition including the task.

http://ssa.org/sailplanetracker is mostly the same thing, just a different name.

GlidePort will not sync the starts but it does allow play back.

Search "GlidePort.aero" on YouTube to see a video of how to use it.
Old May 10th 16, 06:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Thanks kiwiindenver.
Old May 10th 16, 07:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JS

On Tuesday, May 10, 2016 at 10:33:18 AM UTC-7, wrote:
Thanks kiwiindenver.

SeeYou (PC) will play back multiple igc files, synchronised to crossing the start or time of day. In 2D or 3D.
Jim

Old May 10th 16, 08:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
kiwiindenver

On Tuesday, May 10, 2016 at 12:47:17 PM UTC-6, JS wrote:
On Tuesday, May 10, 2016 at 10:33:18 AM UTC-7, wrote:
Thanks kiwiindenver.

SeeYou (PC) will play back multiple igc files, synchronised to crossing the start or time of day. In 2D or 3D.
Jim

Yes, lots of choices are available for post flight igc file viewing and comparison. SeeYou is a good option.

Real-time tracking is different because you don't have the igc files yet.

Alan
Old May 10th 16, 09:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

With Nephi hosting 3 nationals at once this June, we thought a real time tracking solution could be really exciting. The solutions we found would cost us many thousands of dollars unfortunately.

I would love to see the SSA consider investing some of the $55 "sanction fees" each contestant pays at any contest (and have been paying for years now) and invest in a system that can be used at all nationals for all of us to follow and enjoy.

By the way, where has the tens of thousands $$ already collected from these sanction fees gone to? I hope not just the SSA general operating fund, but to something racing related to hopefully grow contest participation...

There was one gps system a while back that looked really cool showing real time data of all sailplanes competing, but the cost for renting all of the equipment would be something in the range of $15,000 for just one full contest!

Fun to dream about what may be someday...
Bruno - B4
Old May 11th 16, 12:27 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Tuesday, May 10, 2016 at 4:19:15 PM UTC-4, wrote:
[...]

In recent years the surplus from sanction fees paid, after direct expenses were accounted for, was made available for the benefit of the contest community. This was administered by the contest board. a significant portion is used to pay 90% of contest expenses for young people who participate and apply.
UH
Old May 11th 16, 05:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

IGC Flight Replay http://ywtw.de/igcsimen.html works well with my Windows 7 Pro and Google Earth Pro 7.1.2.2o41. Just had to add https://www.google.de/earth/explore/...ts/plugin.html . Thanks Tobias Wicht.
Old May 12th 16, 03:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Clay[_4_]

They had a great system for the 2010 Worlds in Szeged. You could see them thermalling almost like you were out on course. Everything since then has been a disappointment.

Old May 12th 16, 07:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Paragliding crowd has some phone based tracking apps that work in cell dense Europe. Probably not legal and I'm guessing useless in the American West.