engine startup problem

Old May 29th 05, 01:51 AM
Frank Ch. Eigler

Default engine startup problem

Hi -

Very rarely, one of the 6-cylinder Lycoming IO-540's in my Aztec acts
up after startup. There is a fair amount of vibration, and a high MP
(20") for the resting 1000rpm, and if the engine monitor is turned on,
it shows three of the six cylinder (1, 3, 6) not making any heat.
Turning on the electric boost pump, playing with the magnetos,
mixture, throttle, all seem to not help.

After a shutdown and a minute's rest, a subsequent startup is usually
perfect, with all cylinders firing well throughout the runup and
flight. Post-flight visual inspection of the cylinders appears
normal.

Does this set of signs ring a bell toward a possible explanation?

- FChE
Old May 29th 05, 04:55 AM
Clay

Perhaps the injectors are plugging.

Old May 29th 05, 02:12 PM
Michelle P

Frank,
I thought about this a while. The best I can come up with is one mag is
mis-firing and your cyl 5/6 engine monitor sensors are reversed. Have
you checked the impulse coupling on the magneto(s)?
Michelle

Old May 29th 05, 04:32 PM
Jim Burns

I was thinking along the same lines Michelle was. Are your mags shower of
sparks type? Could it be that your mags need timing? It sounds like
"something" doesn't work when it's cold, and refuses to work until it's re
started and warm. Impulse coupling was my first guess, but on our Aztec's
Bendix S-200's have shower of sparks, so I'm thinking maybe it could be your
shower of sparks vibrator for one mag.

Jim

ink.net...

Old May 29th 05, 04:34 PM
Jim Burns

http://www.aeroelectric.com/articles/sos_v3.pdf

Is a wiring dia. for shower of sparks type install.
Jim

Old May 30th 05, 04:00 PM
Frank Ch. Eigler

Hi -

Michelle P wrote:

I thought about this a while. The best I can come up with is one mag
is mis-firing and your cyl 5/6 engine monitor sensors are
reversed. Have you checked the impulse coupling on the magneto(s)?

As Jim indicated, the magnetos are shower-of-sparks type. I wonder if
the magnetos are exonerated by the fact that this is an after-start
situation (so the starting portions may not be relevant), and that the
condition persisted with each magneto alone.

Thanks to others for the suggestions of injector clogging and the
infamous Lycoming sticky valve "morning sickness". I hope it's not
the latter.

- FChE
Old May 31st 05, 12:23 PM
Denny

It is Morning Sickness... Sticking exhaust valves from carbon deposits
and lead salts - a Lycoming special... A mag being off timing is not
going to drop the manifold pressure to 20 inches at part throttle, but
3 valves stuck open to the great outdoors will, in a heartbeat...
After you shut down and let it sit the heat build up in the heads
expands the valve bore and they finally start "poppeting" again...

Try putting AVBLEND in the oil and add MMO to the gas (4 ounces per ten
gallons) and take it out and fly it right away.. GIve it a good long
run at high power settings... WIth a bit of luck this will begin
dissolving the lead and carbon deposits in the valve guide and you are
home free... If it persists then you need to pull the valve cover(s),
alternately squirt CARB CLEANER and WD-40 (or Liquid Wrench and LPS #2)
etc., down the exhaust valve stem and immediately bounce the heck out
of the valve(s) with a wood block and a ball peen hammer.... Don't be
shy, make sure the piston is at the bottom of it's travel, and whack
the heck out of the valve, make it really dance ( I normally remove the
rocker arm to do this so I can put some muscle into it, but you can
leave the rocker arm on)... Chanting in tongues while you whack away
is highly recommended for the theraputic value...

denny

Old May 31st 05, 02:42 PM
Clay

I have found KROIL dissolves carbon build ups much quicker than WD-40.
KREEN is even faster than KROIL.
Kano Labs
1000 East Thompson Lane
P.O. Box 110098
Nashville, Tennessee 37222-0098
www.kanolabs.com
800-311-3374

KREEN - Internal Engine Cleaner - Improves Performance
Guaranteed to improve your engines performance. When added to
either the gas or oil, of your engine, Kreen dissolves the carbon
deposit
buildups and varnishing to Improve Compression =B7 Increase Gas Mileage
Reduce Downtime =B7 Restore Power By thoroughly cleaning the rings,
valve, and fuel injectors - Kreen gives new life back in any gas or
diesel engine.

KROIL - Loosens Frozen Metal Parts!
An industry proven penetrating oil that has no equal. Quickly loosens
rusted nuts and bolts - frees frozen shafts, pulleys, etc. Penetrates
to 1
millionth inch spaces, dissolves rust, lubricates, cleans and prevents
rust.
Displaces moisture. The oil that creeps. Used by 480 of the Fortune
500 companies!

Old June 2nd 05, 03:55 AM
David Lesher

"Clay" writes:

I have found KROIL dissolves carbon build ups much quicker than WD-40.
KREEN is even faster than KROIL.
Kano Labs
1000 East Thompson Lane
P.O. Box 110098
Nashville, Tennessee 37222-0098
www.kanolabs.com
800-311-3374

BTW:
Anyone who thinks WD-40 is penetrating oil must also think
a screwdriver is something made with vodka. Kroil *is*
the REAL penetrating oil.....

But boy does it stink...
--
A host is a host from coast to
Old June 2nd 05, 04:42 AM

Kroil *is*
the REAL penetrating oil.....

Is it better than Mouse Milk?

Dan

ROP masking of engine problems Roger Long Piloting 1 September 25th 04 07:13 PM
Diesel engine Bryan Home Built 41 May 1st 04 07:23 PM
Engine... Overhaul? / Replace? advice please text news Owning 11 February 17th 04 04:44 PM
Car engine FAA certified for airplane use Cy Galley Home Built 10 February 6th 04 03:03 PM
Real stats on engine failures? Captain Wubba Piloting 127 December 8th 03 04:09 PM